Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Water  (Read 8816 times)

Katejo

Re: Water
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 08:24:18 PM »

Sure does 👍
Though I did once see a ridiculous claim in an article. It said that tea/coffee didn't count and that they cancelled the benefits of drinking water so we would need even more water !

Saffy

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 12:46:30 AM »

The preeminent authority in this area is Prof. Tim Noakes who wrote the book 'Waterlogged'. Even for endurance athletes he says we should only 'drink to thirst'.

Sparrow

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 07:03:11 AM »

The preeminent authority in this area is Prof. Tim Noakes who wrote the book 'Waterlogged'. Even for endurance athletes he says we should only 'drink to thirst'.

That sounds logical to me.  It would be a huge design fault otherwise. 

For a lot of our history people drank 'small beer' as the water could not be trusted to be safe.  Would gin do.  ;D

Katejo

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2019, 07:11:47 AM »

That sounds common sense to me. I think the article mentioned before also claimed that feeling thirsty indicated that we were already badly dehydrated

Jari

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 08:01:27 AM »

Hey, that’s true. Does a G&T count? lol
I think people have to use their common sense of course, you don’t want to keep drinking water all day long litres and litres and litres, if you’re not thirsty at all etc. I’ve found, for me, 2 litres works well and is enough, but I’m only doing perhaps an hour a day of sweating with exercise, others might be doing more and might need more?! I did see a report somewhere about the importance of drinking water, will try to find, but yes, not to overdo it or underdo is important. Finding a balance for oneself..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:04:18 AM by Jari »

Jari

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »

Look at the colour of the urine passed throughout the day.  Dark first thing, lighter and if too light the person is drinking too much which can be dangerous.  Don't forget that we excrete through the skin too.

I don't drink gin but DH bought very potent beers from a HUGE warehouse at Setchey using the idea that in times gone by people drank ale.  Started by the Monks, probably.  Due to the water being foul.  However, surely ale is brewed with water  :-\  ::) and often, farm workers were paid in cider as well as a tot of rum on board for sailors.  There might be something in this alcohol idea after all .........

bear

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »

Hi Jari and girls,

Fascinating thread, thank you for the useful links. Thirst is a wonderful mechanism and it works perfectly for most of us. I used to get thirsty as a child and drink loads of water, but somehow this has almost disappeared during my fertile days, I had nausea if I tried to drink plain water in the morning, and had to remind myself to drink it throughout the day. That has changed with menopause, now I feel not just thirsty, but my body crave for fluids. I know hormones (including oestrogen) are important factors regarding fluid retention.

BeaR.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »

I would crave fluid prior to a bleed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]