Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Water  (Read 8825 times)

Kathleen

Re: Water
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 05:04:59 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Shadyglade - that's an interesting point you made, I'll look out for the weight gain and bloating.

Take care.

K.

Jari

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »

Am easily managing 1 3/4 litres of water a day now plus coffee in morning. Aiming for 2 litres. Note to self... try to get this done before around 7pm or I've noticed I have to get up in the night..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 12:36:51 PM »

I have to get up at least once every night  ::) - normal for me.  If I don't drink enough, the kidneys work harder so I have to get out of bed more often  ::)

Wrensong

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »

Jari, like you I have to get the bulk of mine over with before the evening!

Sparrow

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 05:49:31 PM »

I don't do anything like that. I just drink when thirsty.  If I drank that much water I think I'd explode. 🤯

Katejo

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 06:04:28 PM »

I don't do anything like that. I just drink when thirsty.  If I drank that much water I think I'd explode. 🤯
Same here. In a way it is illogical.  We say don't eat unless hungry to avoid putting on weight. Why should it be different for thirst?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »

I find drinking water stops me getting as dizzy and helps with nausea. When I'm at Uni I drink about 3 litres of water to keep me going. I have noticed I often end up with a headache though not sure if that's to do with what I'm studying, tiredness or too much water. I thought that the more water the better within reason?

Jari

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 06:59:24 PM »

I'm finding 2 litres is working well for me. I was never drinking enough water so thought I'd start doing this goal.. make sure to get done not too late though as I've found I've been up at night needing the loo. Just finished my 2 litres for the day.
Mild dehydration is often masked as feelings of hunger, so I was going for snacks quite a lot, when what I actually needed was water.. :) x

Sparrow

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »

I don't think you should be over worried about water intake.  From what I can remember the initial research and reports about this were misinterpreted.  The emphasis is on total FLUID INTAKE, and not water intake.  The important thing is to drink when you are thirsty and in fact too much water is as bad as too little. A good test is the colour of your wee.  Orange and you are dehydrated, colourless and you are drinking too much and straw coloured is just right. 

I will try and find some links later as it was sometime ago that I read about this.

Found two. https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-nutrition/water-myth

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy-living/a11669/the-water-myth/

This is one of my earlier posts, Shropshirelass, in case you missed it.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »

Thanks for the links Shadyglade. Think you're right about colour of urine being a good indicator.

I read an article that said it was best not to drink at the same time as eating as it makes digesting food more difficult. As a consequence I no longer have water at meal times. Has anyone else heard this?

Has anyone noticed they are thirsty after consuming fats? When ever I have chips for example, I seem to get thirsty!

Sparrow

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »

That might be salt, if you have it on your chips.

Cassie

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »

I hardly drink any water, but drink several cups of tea a day, hope that counts. ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2019, 07:45:23 PM »

Sure does 👍

Wrensong

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »

My understanding was that we should aim to keep hydrated enough not to get to the stage where we're thirsty - that thirst is a sign of dehydration rather than a healthy cue to drink.  But when busy it's pretty inevitable sometimes we'll get to the thirsty stage.  I agree it's not healthy to drink too much either, as electrolytes can become unbalanced & yes, drinking a lot with meals is said to dilute digestive juices, so I think advice is to take sips if we need it to get food down & drink the bulk of fluid between meals.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/nutritional/dehydration

Katejo

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2019, 08:21:29 PM »

Thanks for the links Shadyglade. Think you're right about colour of urine being a good indicator.

I read an article that said it was best not to drink at the same time as eating as it makes digesting food more difficult. As a consequence I no longer have water at meal times. Has anyone else heard this?

Has anyone noticed they are thirsty after consuming fats? When ever I have chips for example, I seem to get thirsty!
I have heard of it. I knew a guy in Germany in the 80's. He told me that, as a child,  he was not allowed a drink until he had finished eating because his parents thought he wouldn't chew it properly. He had stuck with this rule as an adult.
Pages: 1 [2] 3