Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Water  (Read 8856 times)

Jari

Water
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:01:03 PM »

Hi ladies,

I was just thinking that I really am not good at drinking enough water.

I'm curious to know how much water others are drinking each day and if you keep track. Eg a bottle at a time?

I'm wondering if it helps with any menopause symptoms?!

X

Foxylady

Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:18:41 PM »

Hi Jari, I was never one for drinking water (didn't particularly like the taste ;D used to put really dilute juice in). Since January and re evaluating my diet (started fast 5:2) I've been drinking at least a litre a day, I take a water bottle with me to work (was originally buying bottled water but for the environment decided to stop) there is a water cooler in our kitchen at work so I fill up my bottle first thing. The only downside is that I am 'obv' needing to pee much more which can be a nuisance depending on your job. I feel my skin is generally good and I feel pretty healthy compared to this time last year but whether it is one specific thing (doubtful) as I've lost weight, on HRT, AD, some supplements etc so it has probably all had some kind of positive impact for me.
You could always try a slice of lemon or some other fruit you like in it if you don't like it plain. x

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:21:32 PM »

Hi Jari, I drink 2+ litres of fluid a day of which about 1500mls are plain water.  More in hot weather.

An hour after thyroid meds 1st thing, I have lemon & ginger tea in a 300ml mug (so that's just flavoured water really), then 150ml glass half juice, half water with breakfast, then 2 small (150ml) coffees after breakfast (half tsp decaff, half Greek caffeinated in each cup). 

Throughout the rest of the day it's plain water, but sometimes 150mls milk around 4pm & 200mls milk before bed.  I know the capacity of our various cups & mugs because I had to do a couple of 3-day urine output collections for which input had to be measured!

If you keep a covered jug or a big bottle of water close to you at work, if that's practical, it's a reminder you can't miss.  I also take a 500ml bottle of plain water with me every time I go out & there's always a 2 litre bottle with plastic beakers in the car.  A slice or two of lemon in a jug of water can make it a bit more appetising if you're put off by the blandness of plain water.

You asked whether it helps meno symptoms - it certainly helps not to be dehydrated which I find can have adverse effects on sleep, gives rise to headaches & a hangover effect.  On days when I'm out of routine/busy & my fluid intake is less than usual, my dry eye condition also feels worse & they look more obviously inflamed.  Can see dehydration when it happens in the skin of my face & hands too.

Foxy - posts overlapped - great minds re the slice of lemon!
Wx
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:33:20 AM by Wrensong »

Jari

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 08:28:14 PM »

Thanks Foxy and Wrensong. I think it's a great idea to take a bottle with you and maybe with some lemon.
My eyes do feel quite dry sometimes and I think with flushes etc it obviously means we're losing more.

I've got a couple of glass bottles that I think I'll keep in fridge with water and maybe lemon too and try to drink 2 a day. X

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »

;D ;D wrensong, that's how I started with one of those water bottles that has a bit to put fruit in as I had an aversion to drinking water alone. Just a hint of flavour was all I needed but now drinking it without flavours. Also have tea/coffee through the day (last one at 6pm and it's de caf). x

Jari

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »

Ps herbal teas a good idea too. I do buy them, but I just don't end up drinking them. I need to set a plan really and stick to it. Like 2 litres a water a day and 2 herbal teas and coffee at breakfast. That's my new plan.

I'm going to make a chamomile tea right now!! :)

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 08:42:09 PM »

Hello ladies.

I drink water all through the day probably totaling 3 litres. I'm sure it helps but I'm not sure how much. I have noticed that I don't actually need the loo more when I drink a lot so presumably I am dehydrated and my body is using it.

During this interminable meno journey I have attributed any improvements to the last thing I was doing ie drinking water, eating less chocolate or getting more or less sleep. Unfortunately I have yet to identify the one thing that I can rely on to always alleviate my symptoms but my search continues!

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Wrensong

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »

;D Kathleen
During this interminable meno journey I have attributed any improvements to the last thing I was doing ie drinking water, eating less chocolate or getting more or less sleep.

Know just what you mean & my heart goes out to you. :)

AgathaC

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »

We've got a freestanding v ice maker at home which I have on all the time. It was a Christmas gift for my husband (what do you give the man who has everything type of thing). Anyway, it has transformed my glass of plain old tap water into a restaurant style drink and it means I drink a lot more water. I love the ice maker. If I make jugs, I like cucumber and mint, or orange slices xx

Jari

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »

That sounds lovely Agatha. Do you stick to drinking a certain amount every day?

I know what you mean Kathleen, I've also noticed I don't go to the loo as much any more and I want to change that. I might try a couple of bottles a day and then increase to see if it helps my dry eyes, skin.. x x

Wrensong

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »

Kathleen & Jari, just an afterthought, as you are both vegetarian/vegan your high fibre diet (like mine) will soak up a lot of fluid, perhaps increasing our requirement.  On the other hand, there'a lot of fluid in fruit & veg.  I find I do pass a lot of fluid most days, so if that reduces, it's a clue I need to up my intake!  Easy to see whether urine is too concentrated by the colour, though some supplements (especially B group) & medications can affect that.  Realise the original post was about increasing proportion of water in daily fluid intake, but know that like me, you are both very interested in the way what we put into our bodies affects our health.  Good to feel there are things we can do to optimise health at a time when our bodies can feel scarily out of control.   :)

Sparrow

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 09:17:58 AM »

I don't think you should be over worried about water intake.  From what I can remember the initial research and reports about this were misinterpreted.  The emphasis is on total FLUID INTAKE, and not water intake.  The important thing is to drink when you are thirsty and in fact too much water is as bad as too little. A good test is the colour of your wee.  Orange and you are dehydrated, colourless and you are drinking too much and straw coloured is just right. 

I will try and find some links later as it was sometime ago that I read about this.

Found two. https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-nutrition/water-myth

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy-living/a11669/the-water-myth/
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 10:04:32 AM by Shadyglade »

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 10:31:54 AM »

I don't think you should be over worried about water intake.  From what I can remember the initial research and reports about this were misinterpreted.  The emphasis is on total FLUID INTAKE, and not water intake.  The important thing is to drink when you are thirsty and in fact too much water is as bad as too little. A good test is the colour of your wee.  Orange and you are dehydrated, colourless and you are drinking too much and straw coloured is just right. 

I will try and find some links later as it was sometime ago that I read about this.

Found two. https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-nutrition/water-myth

https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy-living/a11669/the-water-myth/
I agree and I go on urine colour. The urogynaecologist asked me last November about how much I drank. I was a bit embarrassed and admitted that perhaps I didn't drink enough. I was pleasantly surprised by her response.  She said that the instructions to drink loads of water to prevent UTI's was wrong.  If we drink massive amounts, it can dilute the urine too much and prevent infections from being detected.

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Wrensong - I wondered if fibre was absorbing lots of water meaning I'd need to drink a lot but as you say, fruit and veg contain a lot of water. It's almost as if they provide a natural balance lol!

Jari - It may be worth drinking more for a few days to see if it helps at all.

Shadyglade and Katejo - very interesting points and I'll read the links when I'm less tired. I was aware that it's possible to drink too much water, something about diluting electrolytes I think.

I have probably mentioned before that a study of elderly residents in care homes showed a decrease in emergency hospital admissions if everyone drank more water daily.

As with all thingsI expect  balance is key.

Take care ladies.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »

Just a little point.  Starchy carbs do increase water retention.  This might be the cause of infrequent peeing.

I try to restrict starchy carbs to between a half and a third of the normal recommendations.  This is particularly the case with grains. 

By cutting down I am losing weight and have no bloating.
Pages: [1] 2 3