Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Natural menopause  (Read 5294 times)

Jari

Natural menopause
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »

Hi ladies,

I had no peri flushes, sweats etc...

First of these symptoms started around time of last period and became worst at 6 months to 18 months after last period. For the last 9 months I've been following a hormone balancing diet ( not brilliantly), exercising ( again not brilliantly) and taking good quality supplements.

During these last months, I've had the odd sweaty hot flush and sometimes a bit hot at night, but in the last two weeks I've hardly had either. I've noticed them really lessening.

Anyone else doing a natural menopause with decreasing symptoms?

I'm now a year post menopause. X

Sparrow

Re: Natural menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »

My peri was the worst.  I calculated it to be at least 12 years long.  Hot flushes and night sweats.  The night sweats resulted in ADs after a year without a proper nights sleep. Then came aches and pains and that weird feeling in the head that came out of nowhere.  The last two years were the worst as with every period I had crushing fatigue, just like being pole axed.

Having said all that most of the symptoms fluctuated so did not have all of them all the time.  As for treatment, apart from the ADs, I intermittently used herbal remedies such as Black Cohosh and Angus Catus. I also used vitamins and minerals, and still do.  Plus, mindfulness and Thai Chi.

Once I became post meno my symptoms faded pretty quick.  I have found though that if I come off the vitamins the aches and pains creep back.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:34:08 PM by Shadyglade »

Jari

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »

That was a long time of symptoms during peri Shady, makes me feel very lucky that I had nothing during peri..

Really good though that they've gone since post menopause!

I tried AD's also for flushes, but it didn't last long, because they made me feel weird and gave a heavy head and headaches. I couldn't have worked on them..

I've found I've got a good mix of supplements now and they seem to be working well.

I also had in phases lasting about a week each time, very stiff lower legs and feet. Almost like my feet my break. They felt very brittle, but I guess the supplements are working well or it was just a phase as I haven't had that for a while now. X

weathergirl

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 06:26:52 PM »

I had used a very low dose of HRT for 5 years and have been off it a while.  I do get mild flushes at night and my sleep is not as rock solid, for sure.  But I feel 'free' not using hormones and it was the right decision for me to continue this journey without them.   Sadly, I don't know how far post meno I am as I started HRT prior to becoming fully menopausal.  If i had to guess (based on bleeding pattern, symptoms, etc) I'd guess I'm a year or two post menopausal.  I am hoping that symptoms do not get any worse than they have been.  So far, it has been manageable. Exercise, proper nutrition and supplements are, in my own opinion, invaluable.  Good luck with your journey Jari!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »

:-\    menopause is natural    :-\

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 07:57:05 PM »

If you read the first post it refers to treating menopausal symptoms with 'natural remedies'. In other words not pharmaceuticals.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »

So is cancer, piles, starvation and death. I don't want them either  >:( Major design fault imo.

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 07:05:59 AM »

For me peri was absolutely dire so I'm delighted to see the back of my fluctuating hormones and my periods.  I now feel much happier and healthier.

There is a theory that women have a menopause because it meant that they were then free to help care for their grandchildren.  Keeping them from falling in the campfire etc., I don't know if it's true but I don't think I would want to be fertile until I die. ::)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:13:24 AM by Shadyglade »

Jari

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »

Hi weathergirl, thanks for your wishes! :)
I'm a year post, so we may be around the same stage. I do still have flushes and sweats, but they are less often. I also feel a bit stiff sometimes, but this does seem to be fading aswell. I had quite a bad phase about 6 months ago and it lasted a couple of weeks, with my feet feeling very stiff in the mornings and having to walk down stairs one by one. Felt like an old lady, but this passed and hasn't been as bad since then. Sometimes I still feel mildly stiff but all these symptoms do seem to be getting less and less.

I'm glad you're feeling free without the hormones. I like that expression. I feel the same. Hrt for me was not good and just showed me how it affected my body. I feel much better focusing on this phase without them, so I know where I'm at.

Feel the same Shady, very pleased to see the back of periods. Hoping my symptoms will be gone soon too. X

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »

I'm glad you're feeling better with 'the change' nearly done, it gives me hope. 59 next month so surely I must be getting towards the end though definitely still peri as my body got there before I took utro last month. Without hrt I wouldn't have been stopping them falling in the fire, I'd have been pushing the little blighters in so I could have some peace and quiet!

Jari

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »

Hi Sheila99,

I don't know enough about the different hrt's, but with the one you're taking, do you think this has kept you having periods, or do you think they would have stopped by now, if you weren't taking hrt?
How long have you been taking hrt and what were your symptoms to make you want it in the first place?
My hot flushes arrived for the first time around the time I had my last period. A year along I went onto hrt as the hot flushes were becoming too much and I had quite a bit of stiffness at that time. Hrt didn't work out for me, as it caused quite severe different symptoms, so I came off it quite quickly, but now a year + on from stopping hrt, my symptoms seem to be fading out... hoping that is the case! X

weathergirl

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 06:28:44 PM »

Jari, now that you mention it, I have had some stiffness too.  I do some very long walks at a local pond and sometimes my feel get unusually tired and will be stiff the next morning which never used to happen (some years ago).  Much of the way you've described your stiffness symptoms resonated for me.  I'm glad that bad spell from a while back is in the past for you now.   :)

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »

Hi jari, started hrt at 57 when periods were pretty regular. Hadn't recognised it as peri (neither did gp) as until celebs talked about it on TV I only knew about irregular periods and hot flushes. Had insomnia, anxiety, mood swings, extreme tiredness, zero motivation. Went from being active to a can't be bothered, bad tempered couch potato. I think this bleed was natural as the hrt induced ones come at the end of utro. I've always had a long cycle, usually 6 weeks but anywhere from 5 to 7, so I wonder if this is why meno is so late. Or maybe I'm just a freak of nature! It feels as though I'm skipping some cycles now so maybe not much longer.

Mogster71

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 05:00:43 AM »

Hello Ladies

I've stumbled across this thread as I think I'm going to be joining you on the natural side :)

I'm almost 48 and I expect towards the end of my peri phase, which looking back has been around 4 or 5 years. Bloods at 41/42 showed ovaries were declining but no symptoms for a couple of years after that when I had a couple of skipped then close together periods. Strangely enough that's when my vertigo worsened too.

My main symptoms are what I think are visual migraines. It's not a headache migraine, but I get numbness in my face and a pressure in my head and eyes. I do get neck issues from posture (spend too much time in front of a screen) which I periodically see an osteopath for. Like you, Jari, no flushes or sweats.

I visited my GP in late May when it was suggested I tried HRT. They put me on Novofem which contains norothisterone as progesterone and I felt awful; palpitations, adrenaline, upset stomach, you name it. I didn't take a second month! Left things alone for a few weeks and then in mid-August I started on Femoston, which is supposedly a gentler version of progesterone. Also was a 2/10 version of oestrogen instead of a 1/10 like Novofem. According to my doctors it shouldn't have made much difference. The result was a more "active" tummy all the way through, I spotted after a week, and when the progesterone started, although it wasn't as severe, it wasn't great either. The decision point to stop came to me when I started my period after the progesterone ended, and I still felt rubbish, even on the oestrogen part. I just am not sure I see the point of taking tablets that only leave me feeling well for a short window per month!

So back to the drawing board again, and I will be following this side with interest. It would good to see if there are any others going this way in peri too.

Jari

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »

Hi Mogster, that sounds like a good idea. Give it a month or two after coming off it and let your body's own hormones have a chance to balance out a bit. Your headaches sound nasty.
Have you any idea what is causing them?
Are you making sure to stay well hydrated?
I do get flushes/sweats, but they are better than when they first started after when I had my last period. That was age 47, two years ago..
X
Pages: [1] 2