Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bone health  (Read 4826 times)

Jari

Bone health
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »

Hi ladies

I've read quite a bit on different threads that we are recommended to take hrt for the prevention of osteoporosis.

As I do not take hrt, I decided to have a bone scan, to see the condition of my bones, as I am post menopausal.

Results will take a week or two, but I'll keep posted.

I received a form about osteoporosis. It states to treat and to prevent:

A healthy lifestyle can reduce the risk:
Balanced diet, regular calcium inc in diet, vit d from sunlight, stop smoking, reduce alcohol, exercise to increase bone strength.

Treatment inc calcium and vit d supplements with proven benefits to those over 65.
The main treatment is bisphosphonate, which is available daily, weekly, monthly or a once year infusion.
Parathyroid hormone treatment might be considered and involves daily injections.

Just a bit of info.. x
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:51:25 AM by Jari »

TNM45689

Re: Bone health
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »

Hi

I am on HRT due to be diagnosed with Osteoporosis at 47 (post menopause at 46).

The options for treatment for OP are not recommended younger people and HRT is the recommended treatment to raise estrogen levels.

I also found I had low Vit D - there is no need to take a calcium supplement as you should be able to get this from your diet which is much better but Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, Magnesium and Boron are all recommended supplements. These are good supplements to take - Vit D especially as most of the population are deficient.

Let us know how you get on with the results.

Tx

Jari

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »

Thanks T! :) I’ll take those supplements if I need.

I cannot take hrt, so, I’m following the recommended prevention. What I listed is from the form they gave me today at the bone scan.

On the form it also gives what the scores mean ie Normal, osteopenia or osteoporosis.

You are young to have it. Sorry to hear that. Do you remember what your score was from the dexa scan?

Thanks and will bear those supplements in mind. I’ll post what my results say when I get them. X
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:29:22 PM by Jari »

TNM45689

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »

Hi

It is just in my hip and only -2.6 but as you say I need to get on top of it as still quite young....

I am due to have another scan in a month so we shall see how it is all going then x

Jari

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:51:10 AM »

I just looked at my multi vit and it inc boron, magnesium, vit d, K1 , but not K2.

Will wait for my result as may need to up dose.

That's good you're only just into osteoporosis, so hopefully you can turn that around... do you feel better in yourself since taking these supplements/hrt?

They told me I would be called back again for another scan in 2 years..

X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »

There is some very good information on this website about bone health and osteoporosis and the effects of oestrogen here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/osteoporosis.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/osteoporosisrisks.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/osteoporosisdiagnosis.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/osteoporosistreatment.php

It is vital that women who experience a premature or early menopause should take HRT at least at the minimum recommended dose up to the natural age of menopause of 51/52 if not longer, to help prevent osteoporosis, and other health problems.

Remember we may live for 40 years or more post-menopause in an oestrogen deficient state,  and falls, broken bones due to osteoporosis are a continuing risk in the elderly.

The Royal Osteoporosis Society also produce information about HRT:
https://theros.org.uk/information-and-support/medication-and-treatment/hormone-replacement-therapy/

The National Osteoporosis Foundation gives controllable and what they say are uncontrollable risk factors for osteoporosis:
https://www.nof.org/preventing-fractures/general-facts/bone-basics/are-you-at-risk/

Many of the controllable factors involve diet and exercise and other lifestyle factors which we should all be doing to improve our general health. However menopause (uncontrollable) can also be controlled by adding oestrogen in the form of HRT. All of the measures they suggest to help build and maintain healthy bones should be carried out - but without oestrogen there will necessarily be a decline in bone health. If you are able to take it medically, and are young (and even if not) then do give it serious consideration!

There is osteoporosis and longevity in my family so I intend to take it as long as I can  - especially for bone health, while making sure I do all the other stuff too! :)

Hurdity x

Jari

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »

Hi T and anyone else concerned about bone health.

I just had an appointment re my dexa scan results.

The consultant says my hip is good and there is borderline osteopenia within the spine, but went on to say this is normal at my age.
Out of interest, i asked if they normally prescribe hrt for the prevention or treatment. She said no. She said, i don’t need any drugs currently, but if I did, they would start with other drugs and not hrt. She said hrt is used sometimes, but as a side line treatment.
She said because my blood test shows good levels of calcium and vit d that I don’t need more, but that if that had been showing low, the treatment would have been supplements in these. She said to manage this to do weight bearing exercises and dietary/lifestyle management. She said walking is really good as it’s weight bearing on spine, but that swimming would not be so helpful in this case.
I will get another bone scan in 2-3 years..

Just a bit of info in case anyone who’s also not taking hrt is concerned about their bone health.

All the best.. x
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:18:18 AM by Jari »

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »

That's very interesting Jari, thanks.

Your test result, seems reassuring.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 12:33:04 PM »

That is what I would expect for a 'woman of your age' ;-).  Glad that the pelvis/hips were scared, the densest part.  Weight bearing exercise, as long as no one suggests skipping  ;D .........

Swimming and cycling are good for over-all cardio health and walking is good overall.

Jari

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »

Yes it is good to have an idea and although she said no need to prescribe me calcium and vit d, I’m going to get a calcium/vit d supplement anyway. I just checked my multi and both are quite low doses, so I think wise to get an added calcium.
Will keep on with the walking and maybe wear a rucksack with weights in. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:01:07 PM by Jari »

Tracey E

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »

You could always try Yoga, I'm on day 18 of a 30 day programme. I have noticed my wrist arms and back feel much stronger already. :)

Strengthen your bones with these yoga poses for Osteoporosis...

Big Toe Pose. Padangusthasana.
Bridge Pose. ...
Dolphin Plank Pose.
Dolphin Pose.
Downward-Facing Dog. ...
Extended Hand-To-Big-Toe Pose. ...
Extended Side Angle Pose. ...
Extended Triangle Pose.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 07:36:50 PM »

Oh no! that sounds like exercise  ;D

No need to add weights Jari : think of your back and shoulder muscles: but have a regular exercise routine.  I spoke with a lady recently who does alternate running/walking for 2 separate hours each day    ..........    I have never been able to touch my toes but gentle stretching from hip to opp foot can be useful too.  As can gentle swinging the arms across the chest from side to side ........ if it hurts, stop.

Jari

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 07:21:09 AM »

Jari

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 09:38:12 AM »

I think I read somewhere that it affects one in four women by the age of eighty.  Men get it too though.
Pages: [1] 2