Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Stopping HRT after 6years  (Read 2695 times)

Bunker84

• First Flush
Stopping HRT after 6years
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »

Has anyone recently stopped taking HRT patches that they can tell me what the after effects are ,
I'm concerned more about the physical effects as I've Osteoporosis in my knees and wondered is it more uncomfortable ??? I know HRT wasn't the cause but it has its uses toward prolonging it, 🤔

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stopping HRT after 6years
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »

Have you had a bone scan of pelvis and hips which is the densist area in t he body.  Get your GP to refer you, that will give an idea as to if you have osteoporosis anywhere else.

HRT protects heart and bones.  It won't stop normal ageing, i.e. osteo arthritis which again can be diagnosed by symptoms or appropriate X-rays.  Over the counter pain relief should suffice. 

Which product where you prescribed?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »

Hi Bunker 84

Why do you want to stop HRT?  How old are you? If you have osteoporosis, then staying HRT for as long as possible would be wise. As CKLD has said, I would ask for a bone scan and advice about the best treatment options.  DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »

Why stop the HRT? My mother in law was crippled by Osteoporosis, seeing someone like that is one reason why i am happy using it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »

Have a look-see at the osteoporosis web-site too.

Bunker84

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »

Thank you all for your concerns. My Dr advised I thought about coming off the HRT patches as this year is 7 years. I’m happy to but just wondered how you felt in the first few days/weeks 😊

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:37:11 AM »

Why does your doctor think there should be a limit if 7 years? Especially as you have osteoporosis. I would look up alternative treatments for osteoporosis because I think you can have problems with them too (but don't know enough about to comment). Bear in mind that many GPs are frighteningly ignorant about menopause and hrt. The NICE guidelines no longer have an age limit.
As for what happens when you stop - some people are fine, others get a return of symptoms, there's no way of knowing which you will be until you try.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:43:34 PM by sheila99 »

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 11:41:53 AM »

Hello Bunker84 and welcome to the forum.

I am sixty four now and in July 2019 I came off my HRT after six years. Initially I felt about the same, no better but no worse either. However over time I noticed that I was experiencing more emotional problems. I mentioned this to my GP in February 2020 and he said that this was a common occurrence and that things would resolve eventually. I plodded on but at the beginning of this year I decided to try HRT again.

My advice to you is to monitor your progress and if you want to try HRT again approach a doctor who will be happy to help you.

Wishing you well and let us know how you get on.

K.

Postmeno3

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »

*sheila99
I think the absence of oestrogen has triggered my osteoarthritis, though?

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 04:44:48 PM »

I've deleted that bit postmeno3, I wasn't aware of the connection.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 02:14:10 PM »

Hi Kathleen, how are you getting on after re-starting HRT recently? Which regime are you on if you don't mind me asking? I remember we have had conversations regarding this in the past!

I am also 64 (started HRT at age 63 initially) and just on another break -  as I went onto Femseven conti patches in January, but they unfortunately gave me angry red skin marks which took 6 weeks to go.

So I went back to estradot 50 and 100mg utrogestan orally daily but then I got strange breast sensations and the odd shooting twinge so I stopped altogether a few weeks ago to see how it went. I went to GP who examined me but didn't find anything.

(Previously for a year I had been on 2 pumps estrogel and the Utrogestan. I didn't seem too bad on that but thought would try the patches for ease...)

Hot flushes are now returning in a morning and late evening to how they were before, so I am now unsure of what to do.

My 93 year Mum has just recently passed away due to end stage Dementia and Covid - and that was heartbreaking sitting with her for a full week in her care home holding her hand and watching her fade away, I am very teary and still so anxious and was thinking of asking GP for some anti-depressants, but am a bit scared to try them? I tried Prozac once a couple of months ago but they gave me a weird attack of something like a panic wave, so I stopped them as had never had anything like that before.

Anyone else have any positive comments to trying AD's or should I try to go back to the HRT again?? Am so confused :-\

Thank you and hope you are ok back on it.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 03:22:06 PM »

I'm so sorry for your loss. ADs have their place and to help you at this time is fine assuming you can find something that suits you. Going back on hrt is a personal decision, personally I would do to protect your heart and bones. As you know it takes a little time to work (3 months for my anxiety) so ADs may help you in the meantime. It's hard to think straight at a time like this but hopefully your gp can advise