Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Was your burning sensation like mine?  (Read 2355 times)

Waitykaty

Was your burning sensation like mine?
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »

I'm trying to get to grips if what I am feeling is related to vaginal atrophy or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
I have always been prone to UTIs. 12 months ago I had one that despite antibiotics didn't get better. GP prescribed Vagifem, I was 49 with regular periods. But to my surprise it worked. I was delighted. Then it stopped working. I re did the loading dose twice. It worked for a while again and then stopped. I started taking it daily. It did not  do a thing

My pain is constant, it's not painful sex or  urination, it's like I have a bikini -bottom shape fire triangle! My bladder feels like it will explode out of my body. I don't have any sign of infection on a dipstick test. I'm drinking alkaline cystitis solutions and it's not that.
I have had Oramorph from my GP because of the pain. It's extreme.

The fact that Vagifem used to work means I assume it's hormone related.
I'm just starting gel HRT cominded with daily Vagifem
Can anyone offer experience to give me hope that in a week or two this will all be a distant memory.

Thanks
Kate

Taz2

Re: Was your burning sensation like mine?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:46:17 AM »

Hi Kate. This sounds very uncomfortable and more extreme than VA especially if you need Oramorph to ease the pain. Have you heard of a condition called Vulvodynia? There are members on this forum with this which causes extreme discomfort. There is info on the NHS site which I can't link from my phone at the moment. Also search the forum for posts about it.

Taz x  :hug:

Waitykaty

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »

Thanks for the idea
I had a google and I'm reasonably certain it's not that. I can physically touch the whole area without pain.
The pain is more internal and not especially vaginal.
I can have sex ( although I'm not in the mood recently so don't) and I'm a little more sore than would be normal, we don't even need  lubricant ( sorry if too much info)
It's very similar to UTI pain.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »

Oh sorry Kate I misunderstood. I would say you need to be referred for a cystoscopy to check what's happening in the bladder. Do you have any urination changes? It could be Interstitial Cystitis which is also known as bladder pain syndrome. The symptoms vary from person to person but it does cause a burning in the bladder area and pelvis. Sorry if you've already ruled this out.

Taz x

Waitykaty

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »

Anything is worth a try. Thanks for taking the time to chat. Pain is a lonely business
I had an ultrasound a year ago and  all ok.

It's the fact that Vagifem used to work for the same sensation that makes me wonder if it's hormones.
Of course it may be a coincidence.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »

An ultrasound isn't the same as a cystoscopy. It gives a much better idea of the way the bladder is functioning. I don't think IC shows up on ultrasound? It also tends to have fluctuations so the Vagifem improvement could have been a coincidence. Have you been offered full HRT to see if a higher hormone dose will help?

Taz x

Waitykaty

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 02:57:05 PM »

I haven't been offered a cystoscopy.
I need to try full HRT but my blood pressure is on the high side ( comfort eating)
I've got Overton cream to use as well as Vagifem. I have no faith in Vagifem as I was using it daily and it gave up.
I'm back to using it daily ( last 2 weeks) and daily ovestin added for the last week. No change

I'm hoping to have HRt patches or gel next.

Or a ticket to Dignitas!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »

OUCH!  Sometimes ladies require two loads of 'vagifem' at once, side by side to keep symptoms under control.

I have found 'ovestin' useful as well as 'nurofen' if symptoms become uncomfortable.  Vagainal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well  >:( but if a urine sample doesn't grow any bugs in the Lab., then VA treatment should help.

It is the G spot that is tense?  Some don't believe we have one but I know mine can be aggravated occasionally.  Sometimes ladies need full HRT as well as localised applications. 

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »

I'd ask for a cystoscopy as you say there are no vaginal symptoms but more bladder pain which does need investigating. Vagifem will be good for the soreness though so at least you will be preventing any VA from getting worse. I have a friend who had your pain symptoms but no real bladder urgency and after cystoscopy was diagnosed with IC.

Taz x

Waitykaty

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 03:46:24 PM »

Thanks for the support.

I'm not growing any bugs and dipstick is clear ( I have my own supply now!)

I think it's VA mimicking UTI as CLKD  said above but until I give  full blown HRT a try for a week or two or more I suppose I won't know.

I know Jane Lewis suffered hugely as well. She once said she had to stand up to me more comfortable and I know what she means. It's not that I am sitting on a sore bit but more that I am folding over a sore bit

I wish someone could knock me out until the HRT kicks in.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »

:hug:

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »

Hi Waitykaty...I was just diagnosed with Vulvodynia after being on Vagifem for sometime.  I would ask your GP to do the QTip test.  Like you I didn't have any sore areas but the burning, pinching YIKES.  Just a thought. 

Waitykaty

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »

Thanks. I don't seem to be sore to the touch at all.
I'm sure it's my bladder.

I was a bit better yesterday but it's back again today.

I think that must be a sign of fluctuations in hormones?

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »

I don't that's typical to be honest. The bladder can react though to different food and drink. Did you check out Interstitial Cystitis? I feel that a referral for a cystoscopy would be helpful. I've had it done a couple of times and it's not a difficult procedure to have. You've got nothing to lose by checking out how your bladder is functioning.

Taz x