Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Menopause and alcohol  (Read 5315 times)

Carla Maria

Menopause and alcohol
« on: July 22, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that they are drinking more alcohol since experiencing any symptoms of menopause/perimenopause?  I find that my anxiety and hormones just before a heavy period (getting them all the time and very heavy at the moment - I'm 48) are out of control.  The only way to calm me down is with alcohol and obviously that then makes matters worse.  Just wondered if anyone else was experiencing a need for alcohol around this time.  Thanks and hope you're all having a lovely day.

catlover68

Re: Menopause and alcohol
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »

Hi Carla Maria

Not much help but I've totally gone off alcohol in the last 6 months and it just doesn't agree with me anymore. I could of easily drunk a bottle of rose or Prosecco at the weekend with no ill effects. Unfortunately just one glass gives me a headache and I feel dizzy and my hot flushes go haywire! I just choose not to drink alcohol anymore. Another pleasure this menopause has taken away🙄 sorry if I've not been much help x

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »

Had to give up alcohol over the last 3 years, it makes me feel rough and it's just not worth it.  I have succumbed a couple of times thinking it was my imagination..but no...it definitely makes me feel rough...so now I just don't do it anymore xxx

Jillm

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »

Yup, me too, in the last year or so alcohol has become an almost no go area.
I too keep trying again as I thought I was imagining it.
But nope even a couple of glasses of wine leaves me feeling rubbish.
I am now trying out different alcohol free lagers.
Some are not to bad.
I don't feel pressure to have a drink, but I do drink the lager at a slower pace than say coke which just fills me with air. Very uncomfortable.
Maybe it will pass one day and I will be able to enjoy some wine again. I really do miss it🍷

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:25:24 PM »

Drinking made me feel awful, so I stopped for years, even just a half pint lager would make me feel weird....BUT, I have just started to have a half, and I've even had a pint, and I've felt ok....I don't drink all the time, I don't want to push it....

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 05:00:02 AM »

During Peri I started to dislike the taste and the effects of alcohol but happy to report since I was post meno i handle it much better again

My mum turned to drink during her meno bless her, such a horrible time for us who lived at home still x

Carla Maria

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I think it's much better to stay off it isn't it?!  Need to find something else to deal with the hormones!  ;D

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that they are drinking more alcohol since experiencing any symptoms of menopause/perimenopause?  I find that my anxiety and hormones just before a heavy period (getting them all the time and very heavy at the moment - I'm 48) are out of control.  The only way to calm me down is with alcohol and obviously that then makes matters worse.  Just wondered if anyone else was experiencing a need for alcohol around this time.  Thanks and hope you're all having a lovely day.

TBH Ive always used a glass of wine as anti anxiety medication, to halp me relax and to help me get off to sleep. However, although I never drink more than half a bottle (as I suffer with headaches) the dr has advised I need to cut down especially being menopausal and on HRT, as he says that alcahol doesn't suit me and that I am just unlucky (possibily affecting liver and kidney function, which came back as unsatisfactory). This is really hard. I am ok with not drinking my two glasses of wine, but it is really hard to sleep. Also hard when it is holidays and everyone around me drinks , OH and 20 year old son back from Uni. So I'm trying and my blood test came back normal after a month of having alcahol free days.
So yes I know where you are coming from!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »

If 1 is using alcohol as a sleep aid then 1 may be addicted.  It's certainly not the way to medicate!  I haven't touched alcohol other than a sip if a bottle if opened to try it since the 1990s.  Alcohol is also a depressive.

Anyone who wants alcohol in this way should talk to a Professional.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »

I've never had a cocktail how sad is that  ;D - DH told me last night that a friend mixed him one B4 he and I were married, I have no rememberance of that evening  ::)

He would go to the alcohol aisle but I would never think to walk by the magazine stand to the drinks  ;D

Lanzalover

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »

Pre HRT I  went through a phase where I couldn't drink alcohol as it set off my hot flushes and night sweats.

But I do now enjoy the odd glass of wine during the winter and there's nothing better than an ice cold G&T in the summe but I only drink for pleasure.

Lanzalover x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »

Shandy anyone  ;D  :-X too sweet for me  ::)

Maybe stop drinking for a few years, one can return - it doesn't have to be forever?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 05:30:09 PM »

If 1 is using alcohol as a sleep aid then 1 may be addicted.  It's certainly not the way to medicate!  I haven't touched alcohol other than a sip if a bottle if opened to try it since the 1990s.  Alcohol is also a depressive.

Anyone who wants alcohol in this way should talk to a Professional.

I think we all do what we need to. I'm a complete control freak so am very moderate in my habits so I'm not worried. Always had a problem with sleeping and suspect this will always be the case, being an anxious / hyper kind of person.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:33:12 PM by shrosphirelass »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 05:31:40 PM »

I have nights when I don't sleep but would never think of alcohol .......... reading a book or making a cuppa .......... I am so boring  ::)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 05:34:32 PM »

Definately the more healthy option my dr would say!
Pages: [1] 2 3