Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Flashing lights in eyes  (Read 15682 times)

jaypo

Flashing lights in eyes
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »

Ladies, I was wondering if any of you have had this,it's only in my right eye and only when I move it from side to side,no headache no pain in the eye.
It's hard to describe,it's kind of on the top half and to the side and it's ok when I'm looking straight ahead. I am going to opticians but they can see me until Monday.Any info very much appreciated xx

sheila99

Re: Flashing lights in eyes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »

This happened to me a few months ago. It's worth getting it checked out in case it's a detached retina bit it's most likely to be floaters which are more likely as you get older. For me the flashing lights stopped after 2-3 weeks but I still have a blurred area. They told me there was no treatment but it would probably go away over time. If you google floaters you'll find some NHS info.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »

Thank you Sheila,I appreciate that ❤️ I've had floaters since a young woman,got more these days but they don't bother me.one thing I forgot to mention is,ONLY first thing in the morning I have terribly dry eyes so I've been using drops at night,just moistures drops from the chemist,seems to help,wonder if it's connected xx

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »

I got terribly dry eyes through meno and was using drops until I got on the right level of oestrogen...now they are more or less  ok except when I get a bout of hayfever (which is also meno related cos I never had it before then!  >:()

I get what I call "broken lights" in my eyes sometimes.  Looks like someone has broken a greenhouse into a million triangular pieces!  Lasts anything from 5 mins to half an hour.   Has no pattern as to when it comes on...totally random....but if I am honest my gut says that it happens when I am particularly tired or stressed.  Have had my eyes checked by optician and GP.
I have said in previous posts that I suffered with "migraine" in the left side of my face (which I believe is also homone related because I used to get them when I was on the pill and when my hormones were out of wack).  I get them rarely now my hormones are better but I think GP's can call this "broken light thing" or "flashing" -  migraine with aura although you say no headache Jaypo?

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »

NO headache at all ladybt,I've also just noticed a new black floater in my eye,maybe it's got something to do with it.
Thank you xx

bear

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 01:52:25 PM »

Hello jaypo,

Are they bright spots in the corner of just one eye? It could be scintillating scotoma without headache, sometimes called silent migraines. Oestrogen can cause them in some women, even vaginal oestrogen like Vagifem can cause them in susceptible women (particularly during the loading phase).

BeaR.

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 02:06:23 PM »

Hi bear,it's so hard to describe,it's a funny streaky kind of thing around the top of my eye and down the right side and only when I move it. I'm not on hrt but I'm 56 so definitely in the throws of menopause
Jen xx

bear

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »

Can you Google 'visual aura images' and see if any of them is like yours?
I'm 53 and not on HRT but I still feel oestrogen fluctuations, boob pain, vaginal mucus, headaches.
BeaR.

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 02:17:20 PM »

Thanks bear I just looked,it is similar,especially the side of the eye ones,what's bugging me now is a very large black floater right in my vision like a long piece of thread,just not sure if they're connected 😢

bear

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 02:23:14 PM »

They can be connected, but fairly common as we age https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2016/06/floaters_flashes.php

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 02:31:08 PM »

Thanks bear,going into panic mode as per usual,probably is just an aging thing,I've had floaters for years but this one appeared out of nowhere about an hour ago,will give it a day or two,see if it settles xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 03:17:44 PM »

Yeah I get floaters aswell. Did you sleep ok last night? Tired eyes could make it worse.
If you've lights in your vision, then I would say that's aura, and maybe a silent migraine.
Glad you've booked in with optician, better sooner than later....😘

Tc

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »

"Silent migraine" comes to my mind too. I know a lady with it and she seems to get it on waking, the flashing lights in one eye.

May be worth getting eye test as a first option Jay.

Xxx

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »

Thanks tc,oh and Jill of course 😊 I'm going on Monday first thing,it has eased somewhat,just got such a scare,especially when this huuuuuge black floater appeared
Jen xx

groundhog

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »

My daughter's father in law had this.  He went to optician and was told it's the retina become gelatinous.  Sounds awful but apparently a normal part of aging, he has to go back in 6 months unless it gets worse of course.

Best get it checked out though, just to be sure, must be very disconcerting x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5