Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 7 years bad luck  (Read 4467 times)

groundhog

7 years bad luck
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »

Hi ladies,
I know this is supposedly an old wives tale linked to the breaking of a mirror.  I'm wondering though have any of you had a run of bad things happening ?
7 years ago next Saturday my mother who was a healthy 73,  had massive brain haemorrhage, overnight she became brain damaged which turned our lives upside down as she was hospitalised 100 miles away.  She's still with us in a home, occasionally aggressive towards me, it's horrifically sad to deal with.    Since this happened though we have had so many bad things happening -
My op going wrong has been massive but other things too, just seems one thing after another.  I now expect things to go wrong which doesn't help. 
Or do you think when you are stressed you deal with things differently.  Do you think negativity creates bad things happening ?  Like a self fulfilling prophecy. 
Or am I just normal and overthinking all of this. 
Some people seem to breeze through life without any problems then others seem to have constant stress and sadness.
I'm just wondering what experiences you lovely ladies have ?
I've read life goes in 7 year cycles so I'm hoping our luck is going to change but again maybe this is just how it is for everyone, hence my question xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 7 years bad luck
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »

Interesting how myths are passed down the centuries.  Like walking under a ladder - I always do.  Black cats have been signs of evil and good luck through UK history.  Depending on the Religious control during those times.

We used to say that a black cat crossing the road was bad luck if it go hit, good luck if it didn't  ::)

I got my role in a Pantomime on Friday 13th.  My friend was born on a Friday, 13th and she's been fine  ::)

Breaking a mirror has been handed down.  Granny would cover mirrors if there was a thunder storm.  Mum remembers a fire ball coming down the chimney during a storm ....... so perhaps Granny was right? 

I always say that things happen 'in threes' and it was mentioned on le Tour last week - David Millar, the commentator, said it in French.  Then explained it.  So maybe that expression arrived here with the Normans?

I think if one suffers issues one should be more careful on a daily basis.  I don't listen 2 my inner self - i.e. I put my reading glasses on top of the car and thought "That's not the best idea" - then drove off without picking them off the roof.  Why not pick them up - will never know and although I returned, they never turned up.  Do I listen to my inner self - well, not that often.  So slow to learn then?  ::)

I try to be in less of a rush so that I can make informed decisions.  I make lists so that I don't forget 'stuff', going back to my early days.  I LOVE lists  ::)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »

I don't believe in superstition, it's just random acts of bad luck I think, and coincidence.
Although I do think this house has it in for me! I've NO luck at all. And everything that goes wrong I blame on this house! This house wants me OUT! 🤷‍♀️🤨
But bad luck house, ( straight back at ya) 😆.......I'm staying put! 😡.  😆

jaycee

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 10:59:11 AM »

If anyone was having bad thoughts about anything like hoping something wouldn't go wrong in certain circumstances, my grandmother had a saying about thinking positive,she said "think a thing you make a thing" in other words always think positive, never negative
I still never walk under a ladder  [roll eyes]

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »

It is perspective.

Put 20 people into a situation and there will be 20 different experiences.  Dependaont on 1,000s of issues: how they feel, how worried the situation was, how others reacted within the situation .......

As we age we probably get more problems?  i.e. as we age so do parents  ::).  So we get to an age when relatives etc. fall off the edge.  Natural.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »

:D. I never conformed  ;D

Tc

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »

I'm not sure about superstition. But I do believe bad luck can come in runs.
I'm 54 and the last 6 years have been without a shadow of a doubt the worse 6 years of my life. For me it's not about perspective. The things that have happened one after another are all the worst things that have ever happened to me. I'm hoping the 7 year cycle is true as I might catch a break in 2020.
Hope you do too groundhog xx

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 04:33:17 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am a bit superstitious, often touching wood for example but I stopped worrying about walking under ladders when it was explained to me why it is bad luck. Apparently a ladder leaning against a wall forms a triangle which represents the Holy Trinity. Walking through the triangle means you are breaking this connection and will therefore have bad luck. As I am not the slightest bit religious I decided the whole thing was ridiculous and now don't worry about ladders.

I think our age and the age of those around us plays a large part in our life experiences and perceptions of luck. We are at the time in our lives when we are going through hormonal changes obviously but our parents are elderly and our offspring may still need us. Also health problems can surface at this time for example I have a friend who has had several serious health conditions all in the last four years.

Back in 1987 I had a ridiculously stressful time and I used to think if I can survive that I can survive anything. Unfortunately this menopause malarkey has been a bigger and longer lasting challenge and it's not over yet!

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Tc

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »

Thank you Theresa xxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 06:14:32 AM »

An older friend once said to me in my 20s (she was in her late 30s) that I've gone through far more in life than the average person my age.  Each stage of my life has brought problems.  I dread any surgery etc as they never go right either. 

By 45 I had no parents yet I still seem to be optimistic of most things, and a realist of others.

I've got nothing financially, we private rent and our bank balance is pants but I have been with my hubby for 10 years now and the happiest I've ever been in a relationship x

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 07:38:54 AM »

You sound exactly like me Annie,both parents gone by 45,met my now husband 8 years ago,don't own a house,we rent too and I'm grateful every day for everything I have and just to be happy and relatively healthy 😊

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:57:55 AM »

Well done both.

Also: I think it depends on what support is available when difficult issues arrive.

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »

Thank you all.
Your answers and experiences have helped. 
Tc we Have spoken before and I know you've had the most awful time recently too.  It's just so hard sometimes to keep going.  But yes it is about perspective and a few amazing things have happened like my lovely grandchildren who bring so much joy into our lives.

Thanks again all xx

Tc

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »

Very true groundhog.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 04:55:46 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: [1] 2