Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Driving anxiety  (Read 6669 times)

Nas

Driving anxiety
« on: July 17, 2019, 02:15:29 PM »

Hi all,
Just started Sandrena gel and utogestan. For a while now, I've been experiencing awful anxiety whilst driving. Mainly faster roads and bendy roads. I am almost considering quitting driving as it's exhausting. The symptoms are feeling hot and pounding heart, almost light headed and off balance. No idea what's going on, but feels like I'm losing the plot! Have tried breathing, chewing gum, lavender and relaxing music, but the symptoms continue. These are roads I've driven many a time without bother.  What's happening??? Could it be hormonal ?

Thanks  :)
Nas

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Driving anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »

May be hormonal.

I found that if I didn't eat during the day, my 15 mile journey home would be awful made worse by having no were to pull out of the traffic.  So I made sure that I ate 40 mins. B4 driving.  That got me home to a cuppa.

How is your eating pattern over-all?  I don't drive much these days as we travel together. 

Wobbles

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »

Hi Nas,

I sympathise. This may be hormonal induced anxiety. I get this sometimes when I'm stuck in traffic and can't escape. I find deep breathing helps - inhale for a count of six exhale for a count of seven if you can. I get a sort of adrenaline rush that leaves me feeling awful afterwards. It's a panic reaction that comes (and goes) out of nowhere.
I'd echo the food symptom post above. I notice it happens when I've had something sweet to eat beforehand (glyceamic reaction?) or caffeine which now seems to make my heart race for no reason. It just seems to happen when I'm in a car so I don't want to drive now either. Could it be food/caffeine that's contributing?
W x

Wobbles

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »

Sorry, I see you've tried breathing - my brain fogged just thinking about driving!  ::)

Nas

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 03:25:45 PM »

Thanks ladies,
I don't drink caffeine and eat few sweets etc. I have porridge before the meagre 5 mile drive to work. As soon as I hit the fast  road,  I'm a mess.  Heart racing, legs shaking and feel sick. I've driven that road for years! Same on any bypass or dual carriageway. I have to drive as I live semi rural. Just don't know what to do. I breathe lots but it's like a panic attack I guess, Clutching the steering wheel waiting to reach the safe bit of road!  :'(

Wobbles

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »

What do you mean when you say you 'breathe lots'? Are you hyperventilating?

Nas

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »

Breathe as in trying to calm myself down,  not hyperventilating, no. Breathing exercises.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »

Can you vary the time you travel home, i.e. a little earlier/later? to avoid traffic?

Is there another route?  I can avoid most major roads but it means narrow lanes where drivers cut corners so I feel less safe.

Wobbles

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 04:02:04 PM »

Or get a lift sometimes?
If you're on a fast road try shouting/swearing at your anxiety while you're driving. I don't recommend you do this when stuck in a jam in town because pedestrians and other drivers give you funny looks. I did tell my adrenaline to F* off once which strangely worked.
I've been looking into having a few driving lessons with an instructor who's used to helping people who are losing confidence. It would be a shame to give up driving altogether. An instructor can assess your driving and give helpful advice.
If you go down the CBT route they'll tell you that what you're doing is correct - ie, exposing yourself to the fear. You don't seem to have a fear as such - just that this happens when you're driving.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »

It's the others that make me so mad - yesterday we saw a bloke [I think] in a BMW [certain] over-take a line of cars and 1 lorry - 5 vehicles in all.  But: he drove the wrong side of keep left bollards  :o.  Determined to get by he didn't take into account the industrial estate - hence the bollards - as well as 2 side roads on his right!  He went off like a bat out of Hell ....... that's when we need a dash cam.

Wobbles

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »

I know! Some people are nuts on the road. I wonder if they think they're invincible or that the car will save them. Gives me the frights when I see that behaviour  :o

Nas

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 07:36:59 PM »

Wobbles, funnily enough I did shout and swear this morning. It's quite ridiculous as I have driven that road and others many many times. When heavily pregnant, when sick from chemotherapy and other stressful times. Now, years on, I can't do it. Well I am doing it, but only just. I just don't understand. I seem to be acutely aware of speed and open roads just freak me out! Dual carriage ways are a complete no no !

Nas

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 07:38:51 PM »

Am I completely mad? Must be, no one else experiences this I am certain? 😠😩

Wobbles

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »

No Nas, you're not mad  :) I recognise that sense of being hyperaware of your surroundings and it's exactly the same for me and lots of other people I know. I got a book by Claire Weekes called Self-help for your nerves. Her advice was to accept it and let it flow over/through you. This is actually easier said than done and I still find it very difficult. I rarely go on a dual carriageway now and even as a passenger I feel like I'm going to fall out! It's very strange, never had it before but I know it's anxiety related and fluctuating hormones don't help. Remember if you've done this before with no probs and going through other stressful things, then it's not necessarily the driving experience. It's just the anxiety/hormone response kicking in at the same time you drive on that journey. If you need to drive regularly it's important to separate those two things. If we don't we then associate certain routes with anxiety then stop driving. Driving keeps us independent, go to work and see friends. Hang in there.
W x

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 08:03:27 PM »

Hi Nas - you got the systemic HRT in the end?!  Hope you got my PM.
Wx
Pages: [1] 2 3