Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: BMI and hot flushes/night sweats  (Read 2826 times)

Jari

BMI and hot flushes/night sweats
« on: July 13, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »

Just thought I'd start this topic to try and gauge if BMI has anything to do with hot flushes/night sweats and severity for those of us not taking hrt or meds.
Any replies, can you put your BMI ( Google it and work out online calculator) and if you have hot flushes etc and how severe.

My BMI is 23.9, no hrt/meds and I have about 2 hot flushes a day which are not too intense and also night sweats which are more just feeling hot, but do wake me.

Sparrow

Re: BMI and hot flushes/night sweats
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 06:42:11 PM »

BMI.  32
 (yes I know way too high but have actually just lost a stone and still going)

Hot flushes day or night =. None

I am nearly 7 years post memo.  I had spells of horrendous flushes during peri but hardly any since.

Jari

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »

Great you're not having any hot flushes now Shadyglade.

Do we count ourselves as post menopause from last period or a year after last period? X

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 10:28:58 AM »

I think that you are post menopausal from your last period BUT you cannot count that as your last period until a year has past.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:49:38 AM »

BMI: 32.4 (that's having lost 2 stone) still motivated to lose more as I believe it will (although difficult to measure) help with symptom control aswell as general health/wellbeing. I suffer from hyperhidrosis (over sweating) since a teenager, previously affected predominantly my hands, feet, under arms. I take AD (for the sweats) and HRT, sweats much less (once twice a day). I am peri.

Jari

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »

Well done for losing 2 stone. That's brilliant!!! I want to get my BMI down too as I think it'll really help.
Are you feeling ok on AD and HRT? X

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 05:09:53 PM »

Hello Jari

I am nine years post meno and my flushes have never been too bad.  Unfortunately I still have problems with anxiety surges and some mood issues. I am only 5 foot 2 inches, slightly built with a BMI of 20.  I have always been slim and HRT has never caused any weight gain.

Wishing you well.

K.

Foxylady

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »

Hi Jari, over the last two weeks I have been feeling so much better think its my new HRT regime, I'm sleeping at night which has made a huge difference to me. x

Jari

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »

Hi Kathleen, it sounds like your BMI is on the lower side of your bracket? Interesting to hear you don't suffer much with hot flushes. Do you take supplements at all for the moods/anxiety?

Foxylady that's great to hear it's working well for you! 😊

XX

bear

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »

Hi Jari,
As I said on the other thread, I've noticed that they are correlated in my case. The overall sense of feeling hot is also worse when overweight. BMI is 26 and I have hot flushes day and night, worse at night because of disrupted sleep. Not much sweating, but it happens when humidity is high.
BeaR.

Jari

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 06:48:31 PM »

So know what you mean Bear. Definitely feels worse when humid. I'm trying to get my bmi down to see if it will help.

Rosie, where is your bmi in your range/bracket? When you work out bmi online it gives the range where you should ideally fall, is your number on the higher end, mid or lower end?
I'm surprised your having night sweats even though on hrt! X

Wrensong

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »

BMI 17.9 (unintentional - have difficulty maintaining weight).  7 years postmenopause.  Intense overheating from start of peri both day & night - now in 14th year of symptoms.  Rarely actually sweat so try not to use the term night sweats.  Feel lucky not having to change sopping sheets, but not being able to sweat contributes to the overheating being long lasting - difficult to cool down without sweating. 

Inability to sweat can be a problem for hypothyroid women, so I always thought that or the very low oestrogen from being too thin explained the severity of symptoms, but recently diagnosed with (suspected) Sjogren's which may be the real explanation for not sweating!

The overheating continued on HRT but I never found a regime to give me good absorption that also had tolerable side effects.  Night time has always been the worst, as being so hot wakes me right up & I find it difficult to get back to sleep as I also have chronic pain when lying down.  Overheating was truly horrendous during peri & completely wrecked my sleep - far better after a few years postmenopause by comparison, but still enough of a nuisance to try again with HRT after recent BSO.

Hope this doesn't sound like a sob story - just trying to tell it like it is!  It's sometimes said that women with low BMI tend to have a more extreme menopause, but I sympathise with those who feel they'd like to lose weight as I know how hard it is to change your natural body shape & the extra insulation must bring its own problems.