Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Your story for the magazine  (Read 27948 times)

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
Your story for the magazine
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »

If any of you would also like to give your "menopause story" to our magazine editor, please email [email protected]
We would really like to include your stories in future issues of our very popular Menopause Matters magazine---your stories can help other women so much and if your story is published, you will receive a year's subscription for free.
Many thanks for all your help
Best wishes
Heather
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:37:31 PM by Emma »

Emma

• Administrator
Re: Your story for the magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:45:34 AM »

Our Menopause Matters magazine editor, is seeking the help of Forum members who would like to tell their menopause story for publication in the magazine. This is a great help to other readers who believe that they are alone at this time of life.

All you need to do is write out roughly what you have been through and the editor will contact you to "fill in" any blank pieces if there are any. You could also have a photo of yourself published but if you are not keen on this don't worry, we can use a generic pic and will also change your name if you wish.

Please contact the editor at [email protected]

Emma
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:29:08 PM by Emma »

NoraBatty

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »

Mine went in last year as well, you don't have to be identified by name or photo if you don't want to.........me, I'm not shy, so just happily went the whole hog.  They suggested a photo with an animal, so I sent one of me with a whopping great python round my neck!

Come on girls, give it a try.  A lot of people would be lost without the site and telling your story for publication in the mag was EASY.  Actually, typing it all out from start to finish (not that this has finished) was quite cathartic.

amandahh

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »

Hi My story too was in here as well, I too have had many years of periods since I was 9 I started when I was at an all Girls Boarding school.Even now I am 53 I am still having problems and have had another time of it over the last few days with no warning at all. regards amandahh

Cupcake

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:05:44 PM »

I've just had my story accepted. It was like doing an essay for English at school!

Cathypops

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:27 PM »

I just wondered if you stll want people to contact you with storys? Thanks x

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »

Contributors are always needed.

Sharing your menopause experiences with other women can help them get through their menopause and make them feel that they are not alone. In our magazine, Menopause Matters we publish articles under "My Menopause", where you tell us your story.

If you would like to share your experience we would like to hear from you. Anonymity can be assured in sensitive cases.

Please contact the editor at [email protected]
Thank you for your help, we sincerely appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:33:28 PM by Emma »

Robyn

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 06:19:55 AM »

I'm happy to tell my story, because I think I have quite an interesting one to tell - brainless and aggressive GPs, dodgy naturopaths, insomnia, hot flushes, anxiety, depression - ahhhh maybe it could become a mini-series. Plus I'm a writer at heart, so I will put something together and email it off.

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »

Come on girls don't be shy

Your menopause story can let women know that they are not alone when suffering horrible night sweats, mood swings and regular hot flushes. what you did, tried in the way of remedies, what worked and what didn't is all useful information.

This is typically what we are looking for and it's not a bad procedure to help you string the words together.
The articles follow a fairly straightforward pattern and we need information such as:

• A little bit about yourself to give the reader a picture of you.
  • When did you get your first flush or symptom?
  • When did you realise that it may be the menopause?
  • What treatment did you seek?
  • Did you go to your GP?
  • Or did you try some alternative treatments?
  • Was your GP helpful?

These are some of the basics but every women is different and I dare say you will have points to add to these.

If you could go through your menopause story as if you were telling your best friend about what happened to you it is not a bad way of approaching it. We need at least 1000 words, which sounds a lot but I'm sure you'll find it comes easy. Don't worry if you go to 1300 words, we can cope with that.

We also need a high-res picture of yourself. It is better to be doing something in the picture rather than it being a passport head and shoulders type. If you wish to remain anonymous we can use a library picture and indeed we can change your name.

If you are still not sure or need more information please get in touch with me at [email protected] and I'll guide you along the way.

editor Menopause Matters
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:35:45 PM by Emma »

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »

Stories are always needed. Get in touch with the editor.

Emma

Tempest

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »

Would you be interested in doing a feature on Surgical Menopause?

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »

Tempest - if you look at Emma's post, and the one from the editor (with Emma's name at the top of the post) what you should do is contact the editor with your suggestion - I am sure they would be interested! He (editor) is very friendly and approachable - I had my story published a few years ago. Also I am sure they are open to suggestions for articles too.

Hurdity x

Update by Emma
We have a lovely new editor now, Pamela Brook.
[email protected]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:47:20 AM by Emma »

Dana

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »

I might consider doing this but I would not be prepared to use my real name or have a photograph included. If both those things are a requirement that could put a lot of women off.

*** edit. Just read the earlier posts. I'll think about it. It's a very long and involved story though so may take a while.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:05:11 PM by Dana »

Tempest

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »

Thank you, Hurdity! :thankyou:

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »

We have a lovely new editor now, Pamela Brook.
[email protected]