Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT after total hysterectomy  (Read 686 times)

KarenFH

HRT after total hysterectomy
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »

Hi everyone.
Being new on here I'm hoping for some help from some of you with more experience.
Just to give a brief history of my menopause history, I was seeing Prof Studd at the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital after the birth of my 2nd daughter, I had severe PMS, he put me on HRT patches which seemed to work well. However I had to have a total hysterectomy when I was 38, (I'm now 54), due to complications brought on by having Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I had HRT after but after suffering severe migraines a GP recommended I come off of the patches.  I have recently been to my GP as I am suffering from thinning hair, dry skin on my body and sever lack of libido. After having some blood tests I am now on Follic Acid and will be going back to see my GP regarding the HRT.
It seems that most advice out there is for people who are still with their ovaries, are any of you in the same position as me. I've recently seen the article about Carol Vorderman and the HRT that she's used and would like to go down this route.
If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you :)   

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: HRT after total hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »

Hello KarenFH...... :welcomemm:
Good to have you here..
I can't give you any advice unfortunately, but someone will shortly....just wanted to bump your post up.
And welcome you.....
Xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »

Maybe put the product name into the search box and make notes?

:welcomemm:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:54:45 AM by CLKD »

brandydog1

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »

Hi KarenFH,

"I've recently seen the article about Carol Vorderman and the HRT that she's used and would like to go down this route."
Lol me too...I'm not sure what HRT Carol Vorderman is on, but I want it  ;)

I think I might be in a similar position to you; I had a total hysterectomy with ovary removal nearly 4 years ago aged 38, after having complications from Polycystic Ovaries and Endometriosis.

I've tried most types of HRT I think and there doesn't seem to be a one size fits all cure. What works brilliantly for some people doesn't do anything for someone else, or has terrible side effects. From my experience its a bit trial and error, and even when I've found something that seems to work it doesn't always last.  :(

Because of having PCOS before the hysterectomy (Where our bodies would be used to having higher than normal levels of testosterone) I've wondered if its the sudden drop in T that's responsible for some of the symptoms you describe as well? and maybe people with PCOS feel more 'normal' with slightly higher testosterone, but that's only me guessing. 

Do read the forum and other peoples experiences, as I've learnt more about different treatments and dosages here than from my GP.

I think I read that Carol Vorderman saw Prof Studd and there is lots on here about his regime which might be helpful, especially if you've seen him before.

I'm currently trying Tibolone together with an estrodot patch and small amount of testesterone gel and its the best I've felt in ages (but i'm only 10 days in).

Good Luck  :)

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »

Hi KarenFH - Some good advice already. Have you had a look at this site which gives advice on HRT if suffering from migraine? It might give you some idea of what to ask for when you see your GP. https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/menopause-and-midlife/

Taz x  :welcomemm:

KarenFH

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »

Thank you to everyone that replied. Still waiting for my mammogram results, but will be reading up more on Proff Studds regime and see what I can find out before I head back to the doctors armed with my research  ;D.... bet I won't be very popular  ;)

KarenFH

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »

brandydog1. I hope all goes well with your new treatment and it keeps giving positive results. Will look out for your posts

paisley

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »

I think I read somewhere that Carol Vorderman is using Dr Studds normal regime of oestrogel.
I too had a total hysterectomy in May 2011 so only need to use oestrogen