Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hay fever  (Read 4070 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hay fever
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »

So far I've been OK.  It's the itch on the roof of my mouth that wakes me with tongue scratching  >:( as well as the cleft in my chin which is where it all begins.  Now how is that relative to allergies?  :-\

shrosphirelass

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »

I was just going to start a thread myself as wondered if peoples symptoms have ramped up. I started to feel it last week, tell tale signs of sore eyes, but this week everytime I go out it gets the back of my throat and the last two days I have had a bad one sided headache, which I'm guessing is related as it feels like Im blocked up. Im taking mild one a days and a steroid nasal spray. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, except for drying me out generally. I'm going for a long walk this afternoon so am going to try the vaseleine up my nose, can't do any harm!

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »

I found 'beconase' really useful but didn't use it daily as it dried the nostrils = soreness  ::).

Maybe this is what masks were designed for  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »

Give yourself a  :kick: then go for that walk.  It's going to rain .......

jaypo

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 12:18:28 PM »

Thing with some nasal sprays is that you can only use them for a max of 7 days at a time because they will start having the opposite effect  ???

jaypo

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »

You've still got a nose then? ;D

shrosphirelass

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2020, 05:57:23 PM »

I think the rebound is from the decongestant sprays. The steroid ones, like beconaise don'e have the same effect, you can take for months. StellaJane is there a good technique for spraying  as I sometimes get bleeding and I know the ear nose and throat guy said it was because I wasn't doing it correctly.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 07:36:32 PM »

I didn't get allergic rhinitis until I married, it was thought that I was allergic to my husband  :D.  I moved from a dry area to one that had 100s' " rain per year  ::) ......

Lyncola

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 06:09:39 AM »

Hi ladies,

I've had hay fever bad lately after a windy day. I can use my nose spray for up to 6 months at a time, my doctor is happy for me to use it longer.

Another great natural product is a neti pot. It looks like a little kettle, you can buy them from the health food shop. I boil water and mix in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, cool down to room temperature. Lean over the sink tilt head forwards and pore through one nostril, stop do other nose, give your nose a good blow.
Works really well, google for information.

A couple tips always use boiled water, you can't use the neti pot for more then three weeks at a time. When I'm at a bad time of year I have to use spray from the chemist. But usually I can manage with the neti pot for 6 to 9 months a year.

Plus another positive once you got your pot it's very cheap to use. I've had my pot now for 10 years.

Barnacle

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 11:06:35 AM »

When my DD was younger she had lots of problems with ear and sinus infections and her ENT consultant recommended we use a neti pot on her. Very tricky to use on a little one, but we all got used to using it and it really helped her. He also recommended Sterimar spray and we all use that, even now.

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »

There's definitely something with the salt water,when I lived in Aberdeen,never once had I drippy nose syndrome (medical term ;D) moved to Wiltshire and that's when it all started,the salty sea air of Aberdeen worked wonders,you could all move there if you like  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 11:46:13 AM »

Nope.  Borders are closed  ::)

My Mum would boil water with Friars Balsom in, hide under a towel  :-X

Dorothy

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2020, 11:51:21 AM »

Interesting - I've never though of hayfever being linked to the menopause before, but I started suffering from hayfever for the first time ever when I was 40 - a couple of years after menopausal symptoms kicked in really badly.  I'd never had so much as a sniffle until then - I remember not being able to understand why this 'head cold' kept coming and going!

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »

My Dad had late onset asthma when he reached 60-ish - hormones? 

jaypo

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »

When I was small we used to swim in the sea,not often mind you,the North Sea is very rarely warm  ;D where did you go on your hols?
Pages: 1 [2] 3