Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Black cohosh  (Read 8056 times)

Jari

Black cohosh
« on: June 29, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »

Hi all, I know some people have reported some problems with black cohosh, but I am trialling it at the moment. 3 weeks in and I have just started to notice a big decrease in hot flushes/night sweats.

Just wondered if anyone else would like to do a 2 or 3 month trial with the same brand as me and see if it has same effect or if mine is just coincidental.

I'm taking a brand called Kira, one tablet a day. I got it from H&B.

jaypo

Re: Black cohosh
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »

Hi  Jari, I was on black cohosh for hot flushes  & noticed a huge decrease in flushes but be aware that flushes decrease on there own & then come back,after about 7 months of being on it,it then had no effect but that's just me,hopefully it will be good for you x

Jari

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »

Hi Jaypo, thanks for your info. When you say hot flushes go and come back, what has your experience been so far? How many weeks roughly is each phase of hot flushes for you and then how long without? Have you experienced that each phase the hot flushes become less intense? X

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 07:42:36 AM »

Hi again jari,it's different for everyone,I've had flushes going on 5 years now,a few months of respite & they'd come back,nothing has helped & believe me I've tried BUT you do get used to them,now I do still get them but instead of complete respite, I get very warm instead of sweating profusely, unfortunately the hot weather has an affect,so whilst everyone is enjoying the summer,I'm a moaning minnie,my OH would say no change there then 😆

Jari

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 09:24:27 AM »

Hi Jaypo, thanks for your info, that's exactly what it feels is happening with me. To start with I was sweating quite a bit with the flushes and night sweats, but they have started to be less frequent and not as intense... feeling generally warm rather than sweating..  let's hope they carry on improving!  😊

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 05:46:22 PM »

I always tell the ladies,get a decent fan for your handbag,not one of those silly twirly things but the ones where the fan is encased and has 3 settings,they're brilliant and rechargeable,think they're on Amazon 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »

Some find that these help initially, until their own hormones take over  ::)

How long does it suggest that 1 takes Black cohosh? 

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »

Makes me mad clkd,these companies know exactly how these flushes work,hoping that coincidentally your flushes will go whilst you're taking their product but in actual fact your flushes have gone of their own accord

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »

Not the fault of the Companies.  Products may have an influence initially but hormones take over.

How long is one supposed to take it?

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 06:36:21 PM »

Cohosh?at least a month I think

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 07:09:15 PM »

Daily?

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 07:27:18 PM »

Oh,I can't remember clkd,think you've also to be careful with them because of liver damage

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 09:09:11 PM »

That's my concern.  Is it daily for a short time if so how would it work  :-\ ........ perhaps Jari knows?

How long is one advised to take Black Cohosh for ? 

Sparrow

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 06:04:08 AM »

Jari, I took Black Cohosh during peri and found it very effective.  From what I remember it is recommended to be taken for short periods of two or three months, then take a break.

As for liver damage that has been recorded in a tiny number of people particularly susceptible, 83 worldwide, but there has been no direct link between the herb and the damage.  In other word the damage could well have been caused by some other factor.   

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/BlackCohosh-HealthProfessional/

I would therefore  suggest doing research before you buy so you are well informed and comfortable. Don't forget that everyday, over the counter meds like paracetamol and nurophen can cause problems. Liver and kidney damage, respectively. So anything you take comes with some risk.

Shadyglade
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:46:10 AM by Shadyglade »

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/books.php

If you are looking to go down the non HRT route Jari I would recommend the book on the link above (towards the bottom of the page). 

The New Natural Alternative to HRT, by Marilyn Glenville.  I found the previous version of this book very helpful during peri.

Shadyglade.
Pages: [1] 2