Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy  (Read 4785 times)

Lily2001

• First Flush
Vaginal Atrophy
« on: June 28, 2019, 08:54:33 PM »

Hi there I'm new on here 👋
I've just gone into menopause and seem to have all sorts if issues going on 3 uti's in the last 6 weeks a constant urge to pee and soreness up in my vagina which I'm being told could be atrophy .... just wondered if anyone has atrophy where it just affects inside there vagina it feels uncomfortable all the time and seems to be connected with my urge to pee .... it hurts at the start when I have sex and all in all its quite worrying my head tells me sometimes that something sinister might be the cause but I've found this forum and it seems that my symptoms seem common in some of the people on here.... if anyone could tell me if there having a similar experience or have had I'd be grateful.... many thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal Atrophy
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 09:22:23 PM »

Yep.  We have threads about atrophy here.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out, including the vagina.  Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well. 

Speak to your GP and ask for either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin'.  The idea is to use the product into the vagina every night for 2 weeks then every 3rd and 5th nights though some of us require it more often, some even nightly.  Some ladies find that they need YES or Sylc products as well.

I have one area inside the vagina which nips regardless of if I use the treatment.  Otherwise the feeling of razor blades  :o up there has eased.

Otter15

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »

Hi Lily

I just wanted to say you're not alone and you've come to the right place !!! There are lots of very kind and knowledgeable people on here who'll give you lots of good advice.

Have you seen a doctor? Have you been given anything?

Vagifem or ovestin will help with soreness, burning, itching and the cystitis-type problems. For me ovestin is better because my atrophy is just inside and outside but Vagifem suits others more. There are also the yes moisturers and lubricants which are very soothing - they have a website.

Good luck

kimmyi

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 09:52:35 PM »

Hi Lily,

I had exactly same problems...I am 59 and post menopause...when I was 56 thought hey what is everyone going on about?? I was sailing through this menopause...and then literally one day out of the blue started getting all these horrible symptoms...felt like something had landed into my Poor vagina sorry if tmi...felt like I had this pressure on my bladder and soreness inside...and my bowel felt strange as well...had scans and appointments with gynaecologist...
Vaginal dryness diagnosed...I thought surely not?? How can something like vaginal dryness cause such horrible symptoms...😢

I now use Vagifem and am on systemic HRT - Timbelone...I still have some bad days but now know that this is all to do with lack of oestrogen...this forum has been a comfort in times of great anxiety  :-\

It's all a big change for us ladies and we need to be well informed but unfortunately it's very hard sometimes to talk about.

Good luck 😉 xx

Lily2001

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 09:52:45 PM »

Thanks guys for your replies it's good to know I'm not alone .... yes I went to the doctors I've had my bladder looked at and all is ok and my ovaries and cervix is all fine so it just leaves my vagina which I can only assume is atrophy which the doctor thinks it most likely is.... she had a look and took a swab today so just waiting for results.... I think the Looks good that it's anything sinister there is quite rare so I'm almost sure it's atrophy I'm starting with some pessaries tonight so hopefully it'll be the start of sorting the problem out x

Lily2001

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 09:55:21 PM »

I'm 52 and started the menopause about 2 years ago so thought these things didn't happen this quickly 🤷‍♀️

kimmyi

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 10:11:36 PM »

The thing is no two ladies are the same really...so things happen in different ways for all of us, this forum really helps us to understand this...

Vaginal Athrophy is one of the worst symptoms of this stage of our lives and learning to treat and cope with this is vital as never goes away...

I know that some people have worse things to deal with but this can be a challenge...

Take care x

Lily2001

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »

Thanks again for your replies it really does help to know you're not alone x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 08:16:26 AM »

I was several years B4 atrophy affected me  ;)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »

My VA started when I was 48, it was bad at that stage so obviously started before then. I was still peri at that time and having fairly regular periods, last one was when I was almost 52.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 11:16:50 AM »

I have the VA under control now but it takes systemic and topical estrogen to do that.

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »

Atrophy is very common the Burning thread & just searching the word & words associated to it will tell you so.

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 05:14:32 PM »

My VA suddenly got worse about a year ago (so 3-4 years post periods when I was 55)  but I suspect that it had been building up since I was in peri because my UTI's got more frequent and I was needing more frequent trips to the loo during the night.

Lily2001

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 04:25:12 PM »

Did anyone get groin ache with it?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »

Nope.  But as oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains  ::) - is it severe enough to take medication?

Pages: [1] 2