Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sciatica?  (Read 7027 times)

Sparrow

Re: Sciatica?
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »

Shadyglade this may interest you

"There is a lack of strong evidence to support the role of spinal manipulation in disc herniation, though some weak evidence suggests it may be beneficial in the early stages. Some of the difficulties in gaining evidence on rare events and determining causality is discussed. The underlying pathophysiological mechanisms of benefit or harm are poorly understood."
https://www.journalofosteopathicmedicine.com/article/S1746-0689(06)00096-4/abstract

It is currently not possible to provide an overall conclusion about the safety of SMT (spinal manipulation therapy); however, the types of SAEs reported can indeed be significant, sustaining that some risk is present. High quality research and consistent reporting of AEs and SAEs are needed.

https://systematicreviewsjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13643-017-0458-y

Thanks but the second article tells me nothing and the first is 13 years old.

Sparrow

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2019, 03:25:03 PM »

I remember when people suffering really bad sciatica would be admitted and treated with weights. The patient would lay flat sometimes for months the idea being that separation between the discs would give relief from the pain.  The weights would be hung over the bed pulling the patients legs to ease contact in the spine.  Plus pain relief as necessary.  As pain resolved the weights would be lightened [clear as mud].  Think this idea went out in the 2000s though, it obviously caused beds to be blocked ....... I remember my Dad being hung from a door: his fingers were gripping the top and the GP would pull his body away to increase the gap between the discs to relieve pressure.

Usually when my parents had back problems it was due to not bending correctly  >:(.

Tnx Cacarosa  :thankyou:

Interesting but not really up-to-date, and no links.  My physio does MRIs and my problem had nothing to do with bending.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »

What's with the need for Links  :-\ - I threw my shorthand note books away over 30 years ago ........ experience counts, of course.

Sparrow

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2019, 03:34:27 PM »

What's with the need for Links  :-\ - I threw my shorthand note books away over 30 years ago ........ experience counts, of course.

With respect CLKD you were a Medical Secretary, not a recently trained physio.  You really have made me quite annoyed.  I had the treatment and am very glad I did.

Thank you.

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2019, 05:29:01 PM »

"quite" - that'll do on a hot day ...... I worked closely with many specialities in my nearly 11 years career so picked up information  :whist:

What's your problem exactly? 

Cacarosa

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2019, 06:22:59 PM »

I remember in the 1970s when people suffering really bad sciatica would be admitted and treated with weights. The patient would lay flat sometimes for months the idea being that separation between the discs would give relief from the pain.

I was treated like that during the 80's for scoliosis as a teenager. The idea was to stretch the spine and straighten the vertebrae before a plaster cast was applied to my trunk and hips. Slept with weights hanging from my neck and hips like a torture rack for a year. And then 2 months day and night in bed at the hospital before they put the cast. Scoliosis surgery then was too risky and they were trying to avoid it.

Stretching the spine like that gives you relief only while it's stretched. The moment you take off the weights and stand up the bones go back to their position (gravity is a b#**)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:34:27 PM by Cacarosa »

Sparrow

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2019, 09:26:09 PM »

"quite" - that'll do on a hot day ...... I worked closely with many specialities in my nearly 11 years career so picked up information  :whist:

What's your problem exactly?

Manipulation is a recommended treatment for sciatica under NICE guidelines.  Traction is not. Your information is out of date.

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/NG59/chapter/Recommendations#assessment-of-low-back-pain-and-sciatica

Manual therapies
1.2.6 Do not offer traction for managing low back pain with or without sciatica.
1.2.7 Consider manual therapy (spinal manipulation, mobilisation or soft tissue techniques such as massage) for
        managing low back pain with or without sciatica, but only as part of a treatment package including exercise, with or without
        psychological therapy.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:49:11 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »

I remember in the 1970s when people suffering really bad sciatica :whist:

Sparrow

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »

I remember in the 1970s when people suffering really bad sciatica :whist:

Er, I'm missing your point here CLKD.

I had really bad sciatica in the 2000s.  Left foot went numb and I could hardly walk, plus no sleep. 

Treatments change and evolve.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »

I had an awful six months of Sciatica two years ago, couldn't sit down and had to eat meals standing up, so my ironing board was ideal for that ;D Fortunately was able to sleep reasonably well if dosed up on painkillers. I was prescribed Naproxen and physio, but found walking miles and miles helped more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]