Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Sciatica?  (Read 7022 times)

Tc

Re: Sciatica?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 01:28:04 PM »

I know!! I think shes obsessed with pelvic floor.   ::)
The pain started in my back and round hips. That is still there but luckily the nerve  pain down leg is a lot better.

Cacarosa

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »

I know a big tumour in the uterus can press the sciatic nerve but pelvic floor problems... I"d ask for a second opinion

Tc

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 01:48:53 PM »

I have got uterine prolapse so maybe that's where her thinking came from.

I've had so many symptoms with such sudden onset after ovary removal last year. I've been in that drs more than I've been in my whole life.
The aches and pains seem to have been the last symptom to appear. So I have to pick my moments with the doc. I tend to ask for one thing at a time, otherwise I can see her eyes glaze over!!!

Nice to chat to you cacarosa. I dont think our paths have crossed before.

Cacarosa

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »

Sorry to hear that.
Perhaps leveling up your HRT could help since you said it wasn't helping much with your bones

Cacarosa

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »

Nice to chat to you cacarosa. I dont think our paths have crossed before.

Thanks. I'm new here, been lurking for two weeks since my hot flushes began and joined two days ago

Cacarosa

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »

]

That sounds like scaremongering.  If you are referred by a GP to someone with professional accreditation there is no problem.

Unfortunately some GPs refer people to homeopaths and naturopaths

Sparrow

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »

]

That sounds like scaremongering.  If you are referred by a GP to someone with professional accreditation there is no problem.

Unfortunately some GPs refer people to homeopaths and naturopaths

Physiotherapist are neither of those.  :o

Cacarosa

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »

I know. I meant that a referral from a GP is not always a guarantee. Some GPs endorse pseudotherapies. My mum was prescribed some herbals and homeopathic nonsense by a private, expensive GP. Since she's a skeptic and doesn't believe in pseudoscience she changed to another GP but got very angry for the quackery
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:41:57 PM by Cacarosa »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 02:56:31 PM »

Cacarosa - have you ever talked to someone who underwent manipulation by a Consultant without GA - I have.  Two.  Because they were not relaxed they moved whilst the spine was being manipulated.  One will never walk again.  The other fortunately with good physio. rehabilitation regained some mobility.  There are instances World wide of people being having been paralysed from the level of manipulation.

Having watched it done I would never undergo such a procedure without being asleep.  Also, no one should manipulate anyone's spine without seeing a recent X-ray.  I know of a woman who could have been paralysed had she undergone this done by a physio. as she had a congenital abnormality. 

It doesn't matter if a GP has referred a patient to another professional  :-\ ......... it's the procedure which can cause life-long changes.

Cacarosa

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »

No, I never net anyone so unlucky but many similar cases can be found searching the web. I remember that poor girl, a Playboy model, who died after having her neck manipulated

Sparrow

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »

CLKD, you are not a medical professional so please don't try and tell me about my treatment or those who treated me.  I did send you the link for the physio I used and all their qualifications are listed, when we had this discussion before.

I listened to my GP first thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »

Of course lots can be found on the web. but we were searching for specifics to see if there is a recorded incidence of paralysis during manipulation without anaesthetic.

It's wise to know.  So that 1 can make informed decisions.  Maybe I was too involved  ::) !

Fortunately I don't ache anywhere today  :o ....... am being extra careful in my movements, lifting watering cans etc..  Particularly as 'nurofen' gives me heart burn  >:(

I do have experience in the topic - fortunately, many people undergo procedures without problems, many do not.  If my long-term knowledge of discussions about this subject with many professionals World wide saves 1 person from life-long paralysis?  No professional of course would treat any one without seeing recent X-rays or Reports and of course, people would discuss the pros/cons prior to signing the consent forms etc..  Trouble is, many still accept that Dr knows best but sadly, some are damaged; with medication reactions or procedures. 

Sparrow

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »

Of course lots can be found on the web. but we were searching for specifics to see if there is a recorded incidence of paralysis during manipulation without anaesthetic.

It's wise to know.  So that 1 can make informed decisions.  Maybe I was too involved  ::) !

Fortunately I don't ache anywhere today  :o ....... am being extra careful in my movements, lifting watering cans etc..  Particularly as 'nurofen' gives me heart burn  >:(

I do have experience in the topic - fortunately, many people undergo procedures without problems, many do not.  If my long-term knowledge of discussions about this subject with many professionals World wide saves 1 person from life-long paralysis?  No professional of course would treat any one without seeing recent X-rays or Reports and of course, people would discuss the pros/cons prior to signing the consent forms etc..  Trouble is, many still accept that Dr knows best but sadly, some are damaged; with medication reactions or procedures.

I agree with that.  Statins for example!!

You don't give links etc., or explain your experience.   :-\. Isn't that in the T&Cs
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:16:01 PM by Shadyglade »

Cacarosa

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2019, 03:15:05 PM »

Shadyglade this may interest you

"There is a lack of strong evidence to support the role of spinal manipulation in disc herniation, though some weak evidence suggests it may be beneficial in the early stages. Some of the difficulties in gaining evidence on rare events and determining causality is discussed. The underlying pathophysiological mechanisms of benefit or harm are poorly understood."
https://www.journalofosteopathicmedicine.com/article/S1746-0689(06)00096-4/abstract

It is currently not possible to provide an overall conclusion about the safety of SMT (spinal manipulation therapy); however, the types of SAEs reported can indeed be significant, sustaining that some risk is present. High quality research and consistent reporting of AEs and SAEs are needed.

https://systematicreviewsjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13643-017-0458-y

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2019, 03:20:12 PM »

I remember in the 1970s when people suffering really bad sciatica would be admitted and treated with weights. The patient would lay flat sometimes for months the idea being that separation between the discs would give relief from the pain.  The weights would be hung over the bed pulling the patients legs to ease contact in the spine.  Plus pain relief as necessary.  As pain resolved the weights would be lightened [clear as mud].  Think this idea went out in the 2000s though, it obviously caused beds to be blocked ....... I remember in the 1960s my Dad being hung from a door: his fingers were gripping the top and the GP would pull his body away to increase the gap between the discs to relieve pressure.

Usually when my parents had back problems it was due to not bending correctly  >:(.

Tnx Cacarosa  :thankyou:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:27:40 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4