Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sciatica?  (Read 7024 times)

Cacarosa

Re: Sciatica?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 11:51:04 AM »

I would imagine menopause hasnt helped at all.

For now, no changes. Back pain same as usual, no worsening of the scoliosis and last sciatica crisis was two years ago. Bone density still good. Since I have just started Qlaira and just entered peri (first flushes two weeks ago) I hope the protective effect of the pill on bones, muscles and ligaments will somehow keep everything the same... more or less...

But I intend to be on BCP and then HTR as long as I can to keep my vertebrae in place

Sparrow

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 11:51:24 AM »

My sciatica was sorted very well by physio.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »

Tc - OK I think ......... bit early to decide  :D

Cacarosa

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »

Lucky you. I know some people swear they get relief from physio massage. I'm very skeptical about physiotherapy. Unless it envolves exercises for the lower back. In that case strengthening those muscles really help to keep the discs in their place. But I find that lifting weights (under supervision) and cycling in a bike that lets you sit straight works equally well.

Cacarosa

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »

Loosing weight also helps with sciatica because it lessens the pressure on your vertebrae. Carrying around less weight puts less pressure on your lower back

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 12:04:49 PM »

We evolved upright.  Not the right way to go  ;D - chimps lean forwards in the main whist walking.

Physio following recent X-rays can help.  As long as the sufferer practices.  Which is where I come unstuck, I don't kneel when I ought to.  So the nerve pulls ........ a good bed, supportive footwear, good gait and posture are extremely important.

Swimming with extension can ease symptoms.  But good pain relief and exercise regularly as well as remembering to kneel  ::)  8)

Cacarosa

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »

Yes, swimming is really good for problematic spines. Also nordic walking. About 10 years ago, when I started nordic walking I remember I read a paper that concluded that nordic walking was superior to swimming in the management of back pains including sciatica, scoliosis,  etc
Really everything that strengthens back muscles without putting too much pressure on them is advisable.

But running damages the lower back and can worsen sciatica since it involves jumping. Aerobics, step, anything that involves jumping can worsen sciatica.

Sparrow

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »

Lucky you. I know some people swear they get relief from physio massage. I'm very skeptical about physiotherapy. Unless it envolves exercises for the lower back. In that case strengthening those muscles really help to keep the discs in their place. But I find that lifting weights (under supervision) and cycling in a bike that lets you sit straight works equally well.

It was a lot more than just massage.  Manipulation at the clinic, home exercises and then manipulation to correct the out of place disc.  It took several weeks but have had no more trouble since and this was about eight years ago.

Cacarosa

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »

I know, I was diagnosed progressive scoliosis when I was 12. As you may imagine, I have been to many physios in my life, both from the public health system and privates. I remain skeptical, but if it's good for you, keep on them

Tc

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »

The physio thinks pelvic floor might be my problem. I'm not convinced.
I probably should have a bone scan as I've had lifelong eating disorders.  I've got a protruding hard "hump" at the top of my spine which can be seen and felt. It realy hurts sometimes. And it's got bigger.
53 isnt considered young for ovary removal but I ve got low eastrogen. HRT isnt bringing the level up enough to protect my bones. And now at 54 I think they still need protecting dont you? Doc hasnt mentioned it. My mum and both sisters have osteoporosis from their 40's with many fractures leading to osteo arthritis. . My nan was pretty bent over with the hump by the time she was in her 60's so I do worry about my "hump".
Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »

Your GP Tc should be able to refer you for a scan to check bone density.

Manipulation should never be done without sedation as the person can move which may have tragic consequences.

Cacarosa

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »

Manipulation should never be done without sedation as the person can move which may have tragic consequences.

This!

And many pseudo-therapists ("osteopaths") disguise themselves as real physios. You have to be very careful, as osteopaths are dangerous. There has been some deaths and severe permanent damages provoked by osteopaths

Sparrow

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »

We have been through this discussion on another thread CLKD.  My physio is a professional and knew exactly what she was doing and I was referred by my GP.   There was absolutely no problem with the treatment I received.

Sparrow

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

This!

And many pseudo-therapists ("osteopaths") disguise themselves as real physios. You have to be very careful, as osteopaths are dangerous. There has been some deaths and severe permanent damages provoked by osteopaths

That sounds like scaremongering.  If you are referred by a GP to someone with professional accreditation there is no problem.

Cacarosa

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »

Tc I really don't understand what's the supposed relation between pelvic floor and the sciatic nerve... let me raise my eyebrow á la Spock
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4