Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hrt utrogestan  (Read 958 times)

Tracyx483

• First Flush
Hrt utrogestan
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »

Feeling very confused, I've been on hrt for 1 yr now. 100mg estradot 100 utrogestan. I started to get break through bleeds doctor suggested reducing estradot to 50 mg flushes started back and did not feel right. So went back up to 100 estradot which I did al ok for a few weeks then spotting started again again I was advised to up my utrogestan to 200mg was not sure about this. Hrt Doctor said it was ok to up my estradot to 3 x patches a week al ok for a bit then  spotting so I took utrogestan for 7 days then back to 100mg utrogestan all ok again settled back down then I realised I had 2 x estradot patches on this caused me to have really bad mood for a couple of days obviously more bleeding too. So I went back to 100mg 2 x week bleeding did not settle so I thought I would stop utrogestan let the bleed come and it didn't I've actually stopped bleeding with a little bit of spotting  I'm at the moment on day 2 of no utrogestan and 100mg estradot. What is going on. I'm expecting to start back on utrogestan in 3 days. Really not sure what to try next. Not due to see hrt doctor until September. Any advice would be much appreciated at this time. I thought I was doing really well

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Hrt utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 08:06:03 PM »

Hi Tracyx- I had a few months of unusual breakthrough bleeding and was referred for an urgent scan. All ok.
I had been changing my regime a bit due to holidays and it seemed to throw things out ( estraderm 50 mcg patches, 200 mcg Utrogestan 10 days a month )
Went to see Professor of Gynaecology through her menopause clinic and she told me that Utrogestan is notoriously unstable in the body and breakthrough bleeding is exceptionally common on it. You can have no problems for years, then it starts to be erratic. She just said it was the nature of the beast and I shouldn't worry about it. X

Tracyx483

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »

Thank you for responding. I guess I understand this to be the case. I'm confused that I have now stopped utrogestan and bleeding has near on stopped. I thought it was meant to start when you stop Progesterone. Still on 100mg estradot. Not too concerned about bleeding as upon next visit  to doc if still bleeding I will be sent for a hystoroscopy soz bout spelling lol
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:35:29 AM by Tracyx483 »

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »

If you've been mucking about with the prog dose then the normal situation ( bleeding at the end of the prog phase either just before or just after you stop) won't happen.  The reason you're not bleeding is presumably the lining has not built up yet or the prog wasn't sufficient maybe? Yes doc is right - if 100 mg prog orally is insufficient to protect the womb lining and prevent bleeding then the dose is increased until it does ( subject to scans confirming womb is OK). How about taking the licensed dose ie 200 mg utrogestan orally (if you've been taking it orally) for 12 days per 28 day cycle and see what happens - and then tweak it from there? Alternatively use it vaginally (if you're not doing so already) as it is more effective when used this way - more gets to uterus where it is needed.

Hurdity x

wherearemyslippers

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »

I feel you Tracey, I doubled my cyclical dose of Utrogestan under docs orders back in January, because I had some breakthrough bleeding. It was ok for a while but now I'm having breakthroughs again. And tender boobs mid month! So confused :-\

Tracyx483

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »

Thanks Hurdity  for advice. Im going to start back on utrogestan tonight at 100 mg stick with 100mg estradot patch twice a week I will leave it all alone and allow it all hopefully to settle down I will see doctor in 3 months and go from there. I was doing well until I mucked about with it maybe I got a bit inpatient lessons learnt. Just be patient 😊 

Junie

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 06:20:06 PM »

Hi
I have been told to take these vaginally. Although the leaflet says orally, my doctor said to ignore this. Do you just put them in?

Thanks so much

Junie