Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy and back pain  (Read 1001 times)

claude66

Hysteroscopy and back pain
« on: June 16, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »

I'm due to have this procedure in a week's time under GA to explore irregular bleeding.

My concern is that I suffer with a lot of lower back pain and I know they operate on you with your legs raised in stirrups. I'm really worried that the operation is going to make my back pain even worse due to positioning - I'm tempted to cancel as, of the two, it's the back pain that makes my life a constant misery and I'm less concerned about the irregular bleeding episodes.

Has anybody - with back pain - had the procedure and suffered any consequences?

Wrensong

Re: Hysteroscopy and back pain
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 02:36:24 PM »

Hi Claude - I have a condition that causes postural pain (while lying down) but have had 3 hysteroscopies, none of which made any difference to the pain.  I had one under GA, one under local & one with no anaesthetic or sedation whatsoever.  It is over very quickly - the last one for which I was fully conscious, only took around 5 mins, including biopsy. 

I would explain your concerns to them & see what they say, but I would urge you to go ahead - it's important to have unexplained bleeding checked out, though almost always nothing to worry about.  You could ring the dept beforehand & explain the nature of your back condition so that if they advise cancelling, the appointment slot can be allocated to someone else.  They should be able to arrange for you to have pain relief if the GA is not enough to prevent this occurring afterwards.  I hope all goes well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:00:50 PM by Wrensong »

claude66

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 09:40:18 PM »

Thank you Wrensong, that's reassuring re the back pain x

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 11:44:03 PM »

I agree with Wrensong. You need to have this done, no matter how worried you are about back pain. It's far more important,  and you can always take pain killers afterwards (and book yourself in for a massage or whatever for the day after).
For what its worth - I've not had a hysteroscopy, but have had various procedures whilst awake and surgeries under GA where I'm pretty sure I've been manhandled (I actually try not to think about it).  Anyway, I have lower back pain from a slipped and herniated disc, and I've  never woken up with back pain after the ops.
Wishing you all the best.