Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Massive hair shed - low ferritin or HRT?  (Read 1785 times)

Noheroicsplease

Massive hair shed - low ferritin or HRT?
« on: June 16, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »

Hi all,

I'm back! This time with yet another massive hair shed. I'm on Estradot now, 75mg (I was on Estradot 100mg for a bit but it made my boobs so enormous, I couldn't stand it).

When I've had TE (Telogen Effluvium) before, it was low ferritin. But I don't think my ferritin is low.

Anyone else had hormonal hair shedding bouts? Or Estradot related?

Salad

Re: Massive hair shed - low ferritin or HRT?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »

I've had steady shedding for some time. I am using Estradot but didn't think it was linked to that.
I was told by my hairdresser that the hair has a shedding cycle so once it starts it carries on - I do take Biotin 10 mg which is supposed to help.

I'll let you know  :)

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »

Hiya- I posted on another thread today about this.

I'm on estraderm patches and Utrogestan. Trichologist thinks it's linked to low Ferritin for optimal hair health although Ferritin levels are classed as normal for health reasons ( low 40s compared to the 80-100 he thinks is good for hair growth)
So, I'm on an iron and Vit B supplement for 4
/5  :(months to see if the levels go up before he prescribes some sort of scalp spray. I think it's the progesterone that's causing the shedding but I haven't got a clue. I just know it's upsetting. You've just got to look at how poor the hair is on lots of middle aged and elderly women and wonder what the root ( pardon the pun) cause is.
I know that hair thins as we get older but it's yet another battle to deal with.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »

Thanks!

Yes, I know that ferritin levels need to be quite high for optimal growth. I think some people are more susceptible than others to levels dropping/causing hair loss.

I already take a ferrous fumerate, VIt C to aid absorption and also Lysine to further aid it. Michele, what Vit B brand do you take?

I bloody hope this stops. Just raked through and a mass fell out. It's so depressing.

Can you link me to the other thread that you posted about it?