Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal bleeding  (Read 956 times)

kew

Post menopausal bleeding
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:21:33 AM »

Just looking for some advice really.

Have been on Evorel Conti for about 3 years and it works well for me in managing my symptoms - can't remember when I last had a hot flush, sleep is better, but I still have to work on it.

Earlier this year I had some light bleeding which lasted for about 4 weeks. Saw the dr and was referred under the 2 week urgent referral (I'm 51). Have had an ultrasound and was then referred for a hysteroscopy, and endometrial biopsy, which I had 2 weeks ago - just awaiting the results.

After a very short conversation with the consultant I was told that I should start to wean myself off hrt and this was also put into a letter to my doctor, as the consultant felt that this might be the cause of the bleeding. I'm quite reluctant as it's been pretty much life changing and I really can't face the thought of going back to how I was. (Also I've had post menopausal bleeding prior to going on hrt which was investigated and showed no problems.)  I do have a fibroid which has shrunk 53mm to 20mm in the last 4 years.

Added to the mix is weight loss (intentional) - 9kg since end of March - could this be contributing as the bleeding started about 3 weeks after an initial quick loss of 3kg.

To top it all off I've just started bleeding again and much heavier before - as yet I haven't made any changes to my hrt regime.

As I'm not keen on stopping hrt - what are my options once I have the results of the biopsy?

Try another form of HRT?
Can I be forced to stop taking it?
Not sure where I go from here (once I have biopsy results).

Would be grateful for Any advice, similar experiences :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:24:45 AM by kew »

Hurdity

Re: Post menopausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 07:41:42 AM »

Firstly I should wait for the results of your biopsy and hysteroscopy before deciding what you need to do. Hopefully there will be nothing untoward. If so then there is no reason nor need to stop HRT.  Heavens - you are barely at the natural average age of menopause of 51/52 yet!

Besides fibroids and polyps one reson for bleeding can be endometrial atrophy which means that the uterus lining as overthinned which can lead to ulceration and spotting. In your case if your fibroid has shrunk this is a good sign and surely indicates that your oestrogen levels are not to high otherwise it would have grown. It could still cause some bleeding though when stimulated by oestrogen, I think?

Although you need to wait for the results of your biopsy the sonographer should have told you the thickness of your womb lining (or from the previous U/S scan you had?) and whether they could see anything during the hysteroscopy? Mine was carried out by a registrar or consultant and I just asked him while he was doing it so knew it was all OK - just had to wait for the biopsy results.

As I understand weight loss would release stored oestrogen (estrone) from your fat cells so temporarily increasing the amount in circulation systemically - so possibly could have some sort of effect maybe?

You absolutely do not need to stop HRT if there is nothing seriously amiss and depending on the results - yes you might want to try a different type. Let's wait and see - you definitely cannot be forced to stop taking it but you will want to make sure your consultant does not write to your GP to say this is what s/he recommends otherwise the GP may not want to go contra to this.

Here are the actual contraindications:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php

One of these is undiagnosed abnormal bleeding - but once you have a diagnosis, depending on the cause - you are most likely to be able to continue if nothing serious.

In the meantime read up as much as you can about HRT and the different types - and please let us know how you get on.

Hurdity x

kew

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, endometrium is normal, the letter said 6mm.

I have been doing a lot of reading over past few weeks, however it all just says what the cause maybe and the treatment of them. Nothing about random and lengthy bleeding.  Hopefully I will get the results this week.  I just hope my new doctor is as accommodating as my previous dr who has just retired, thus I am making sure I have as much info as possible, though I have found that unless it's bad news they don't bother to call to see you, so I may just be able to carry on as normal.

The letter to my dr advises me to wean myself off hrt.  The consultant also said this at the consultation. I only saw the letter because I have access to my records, so hopefully the dr won't take this too much on board given that it was said in a 5 minute conversation.

kew

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »

Results in today - all good nothing to worry about ;D ;D ;D