Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Plastics / Climate change  (Read 48985 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Plastics / Climate change
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »

I was tipping laundry powder into a larger box last week - because the boxes are double cardboard a lot is left in the gap so as I shook it, I got enough for a complete load!  The same with dish washer powder boxes, there's enough for a load in the gaps between the cardboard.

So I always shake the boxes gently into a bowl to collect any 'wastage' which a) can be used and b) won't go into landfill to pollute nature.  C) I'm saving a little bit of money for 'Maltesers' ;-).

Today we saw a group protesting about 'climate' but they had a dog with them.  So buying cans/bags of food etc. which take electricity to produce; plastic bags to scoop the poop; Vet bills, bet they don't refuse treatment for their pet; which will have been produced in factories and will take electricity etc. to administer ..........  :-\ .  We wondered how many had cycled/walked to town but hadn't time to be bothered to ask.  Too busy enjoying the  :sunny: ourselves ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »

Now people have glued themselves to a motorway  :o.  OK everyone - PULL  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »

Yep.  Right from the start.  Now apparently she is on the autistic spectrum. 

How can UK children be allowed out of School to protest but when parents take them on holiday in Term Time  :-\  >:(

squeaker99

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »

My S1 daughter was strongly advised to go on Fridays strike by the older pupils who were organising it. 
I feel they would have been better having an Eco day and learning in class how to actively make a difference.

Most of the kids who went on the strike looked like they just wanted to bunk off and were scoffing crisps
and juice and leaving the litter behind at their ' protest' site.  The kids that didn't want to miss lessons
just watched videos and did drawing for the morning.

I think Greta need a call to action to follow up her words. You have our attention Gretta, now tell us specifically
what to do.

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2019, 02:39:52 PM »

So many people in high profile are jumping on the media band-wagon and quoting stuff that is quite frankly, rubbish  >:(.  Because it's in the media doesn't make it true.  As for carbon off-set, it isn't possible!

Sparrow

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2019, 06:10:14 PM »

Greta is genuine but annoying.

My son tells me her parents are involved with some eco PR company and are making money out of Gretas activities.  Nothing is exactly as it seems and call me an old cynic but I think Greta is being exploited.

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2019, 06:31:13 PM »

Yep.   Apparently there was a film made whilst she travelled on that yacht to the US  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2019, 02:46:42 PM »

;D not so much of the old  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »

In her own words from her facebook page (Great Thunberg):

"Recently I've seen many rumors circulating about me and enormous amounts of hate. This is no surprise to me. I know that since most people are not aware of the full meaning of the climate crisis (which is understandable since it has never been treated as a crisis) a school strike for the climate would seem very strange to people in general.
So let me make some things clear about my school strike.
In may 2018 I was one of the winners in a writing competition about the environment held by Svenska Dagbladet, a Swedish newspaper. I got my article published and some people contacted me, among others was Bo Thorén from Fossil Free Dalsland. He had some kind of group with people, especially youth, who wanted to do something about the climate crisis.
I had a few phone meetings with other activists. The purpose was to come up with ideas of new projects that would bring attention to the climate crisis. Bo had a few ideas of things we could do. Everything from marches to a loose idea of some kind of a school strike (that school children would do something on the schoolyards or in the classrooms). That idea was inspired by the Parkland Students, who had refused to go to school after the school shootings.
I liked the idea of a school strike. So I developed that idea and tried to get the other young people to join me, but no one was really interested. They thought that a Swedish version of the Zero Hour march was going to have a bigger impact. So I went on planning the school strike all by myself and after that I didn't participate in any more meetings.
When I told my parents about my plans they weren't very fond of it. They did not support the idea of school striking and they said that if I were to do this I would have to do it completely by myself and with no support from them.
On the 20 of august I sat down outside the Swedish Parliament. I handed out fliers with a long list of facts about the climate crisis and explanations on why I was striking. The first thing I did was to post on Twitter and Instagram what I was doing and it soon went viral. Then journalists and newspapers started to come. A Swedish entrepreneur and business man active in the climate movement, Ingmar Rentzhog, was among the first to arrive. He spoke with me and took pictures that he posted on Facebook. That was the first time I had ever met or spoken with him. I had not communicated or encountered with him ever before.
Many people love to spread rumors saying that I have people ”behind me” or that I'm being ”paid” or ”used” to do what I'm doing. But there is no one ”behind” me except for myself. My parents were as far from climate activists as possible before I made them aware of the situation.
I am not part of any organization. I sometimes support and cooperate with several NGOs that work with the climate and environment. But I am absolutely independent and I only represent myself. And I do what I do completely for free, I have not received any money or any promise of future payments in any form at all. And nor has anyone linked to me or my family done so.
And of course it will stay this way. I have not met one single climate activist who is fighting for the climate for money. That idea is completely absurd.
Furthermore I only travel with permission from my school and my parents pay for tickets and accommodations.
My family has written a book together about our family and how me and my sister Beata have influenced my parents way of thinking and seeing the world, especially when it comes to the climate. And about our diagnoses.
That book was due to be released in May. But since there was a major disagreement with the book company, we ended up changing to a new publisher and so the book was released in august instead.
Before the book was released my parents made it clear that their possible profits from the book ”Scener ur hjärtat” will be going to 8 different charities working with environment, children with diagnoses and animal rights.
And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don't spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.
Some people mock me for my diagnosis. But Asperger is not a disease, it's a gift. People also say that since I have Asperger I couldn't possibly have put myself in this position. But that's exactly why I did this. Because if I would have been ”normal” and social I would have organized myself in an organisation, or started an organisation by myself. But since I am not that good at socializing I did this instead. I was so frustrated that nothing was being done about the climate crisis and I felt like I had to do something, anything. And sometimes NOT doing things - like just sitting down outside the parliament - speaks much louder than doing things. Just like a whisper sometimes is louder than shouting.
Also there is one complaint that I ”sound and write like an adult”. And to that I can only say; don't you think that a 16-year old can speak for herself? There's also some people who say that I oversimplify things. For example when I say that "the climate crisis is a black and white issue”, ”we need to stop the emissions of greenhouse gases” and ”I want you to panic”. But that I only say because it's true. Yes, the climate crisis is the most complex issue that we have ever faced and it's going to take everything from our part to ”stop it”. But the solution is black and white; we need to stop the emissions of greenhouse gases.
Because either we limit the warming to 1,5 degrees C over pre industrial levels, or we don't. Either we reach a tipping point where we start a chain reaction with events way beyond human control, or we don't. Either we go on as a civilization, or we don't. There are no gray areas when it comes to survival.
And when I say that I want you to panic I mean that we need to treat the crisis as a crisis. When your house is on fire you don't sit down and talk about how nice you can rebuild it once you put out the fire. If your house is on fire you run outside and make sure that everyone is out while you call the fire department. That requires some level of panic.
There is one other argument that I can't do anything about. And that is the fact that I'm ”just a child and we shouldn't be listening to children.” But that is easily fixed - just start to listen to the rock solid science instead. Because if everyone listened to the scientists and the facts that I constantly refer to - then no one would have to listen to me or any of the other hundreds of thousands of school children on strike for the climate across the world. Then we could all go back to school.
I am just a messenger, and yet I get all this hate. I am not saying anything new, I am just saying what scientists have repeatedly said for decades. And I agree with you, I'm too young to do this. We children shouldn't have to do this. But since almost no one is doing anything, and our very future is at risk, we feel like we have to continue.

And if you have any other concern or doubt about me, then you can listen to my TED talk ( https://www.ted.com/…/greta_thunberg_the_disarming_…/up-next ), in which I talk about how my interest for the climate and environment began.
And thank you everyone for you kind support! It brings me hope.
/Greta
Ps I was briefly a youth advisor for the board of the non profit foundation “We don't have time”. It turns out they used my name as part of another branch of their organisation that is a start up business. They have admitted clearly that they did so without the knowledge of me or my family. I no longer have any connection to “We don't have time”. Nor has anyone in my family. They have deeply apologised and I have accepted their apology."

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2019, 03:18:28 PM »

:thankyou:

She is being used.  But at 16 she has all the time in the World to learn that one should't rely on reports etc.; 1 has to see who funds them and how much actual correct information there is.

Simon King recently started to sprout on about what he had read from the papers.  When we got home DH looked at the actualities of his statements and found a lot of untruths or improbabilities - so Simon had picked up what he believed to be true  ::) and so it becomes 'real'.

Interesting that Greta didn't mention the film that was being made whilst she was yachting across the Ocean.

Hurdity

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2019, 03:34:24 PM »

The post was written in Feb - so isn't up to the minute but deals with some of the issues mentioned.

If her name as a figurehead for the issue, is being used to rally other people by other organisations - this does not mean that she is not genuine, and of course other people and organisations will jump on her bandwagon - sometimes to make money yes - but mainly for added publicity - but what a worthwhile bandwagon eh?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2019, 04:29:39 PM »

Hopefully yes.  Long term.  Watching the news from the Alps where a glacier is about to break up ........

Information needs to be factual and much of it isn't, take off setting for example.  Virtually impossible to do  :-\.

People don't go back to basics: i.e. what it takes to make one vehicle in the way of building, sourcing materials, carrying materials etc..

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »

:rofl:  Your Majesty - do you have an Aide to do it for you  ;)

The glacier is Mont Blanc  :o ....... wouldn't want to live below that when it calves  :-X

Hurdity

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »

Bit of satire....will poston youtube thread another day :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yzAs1Vwbns

Hurdity x

Sparrow

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2019, 01:13:08 PM »

The post was written in Feb - so isn't up to the minute but deals with some of the issues mentioned.

If her name as a figurehead for the issue, is being used to rally other people by other organisations - this does not mean that she is not genuine, and of course other people and organisations will jump on her bandwagon - sometimes to make money yes - but mainly for added publicity - but what a worthwhile bandwagon eh?

Hurdity x

Sorry but I stand by what I said.

She is a vulnerable 16 year old with Aspergers.  She suffers with depression and has had two bouts of anorexia.

Her parents are verging on abuse, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17