Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Degenerative Disc Disease  (Read 3628 times)

Padine

Degenerative Disc Disease
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:35:37 PM »

I havn't been on this board before and hope I don't sound sorry for myself? When I was a teenager I was in a very serious car crash, I was the front set passenger and sadly the driver died. I don't remember anything about it (the driver was an elderly friend of my parents and had a fatal heart attack resulting in a head on collision with a large furniture van) but was trapped in the footwell of the car and had to be cut out by the fire brigade. I had a head injury+ brain injury and was in a coma for 5 days. My recovery was slow but I almost got back to being myself. This was in the 70s when there was little aftercare for head injury survivors and the left side of my body has always had nerve damage. I have always counted myself very lucky and still do.

7 years ago I had sudden back pain which was near-crippling. After numerous tests an orthopedic consultant said that as a result of being trapped in the car and the damage my back had undergone at that time, I had DDD. He assured me it wasn't a disease as in the real meaning but would need regular pain meds for the rest of my life. He advised pilates or core building exercises which I do weekly and my GP has prescribed pain meds which have been successfully working up till now. For the last 4 days I have been in agony and will go back to GP if I don't feel better soon. Does anyone else have this condition? Another consultant I saw to begin with told me I was just becoming an old lady sooner than I had hoped! He was very rude and has a reputation for being pompous and totally unsympathetic.

Any ideas ladies?

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Degenerative Disc Disease
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »

Hi Padine

Just saw your post....
I know someone with DDD.. they've had it for 30 years, or there abouts....
They've also two or three slipped discs aswell, which add to the problem.
They take regular pain meds, but when it flares up, it effects the nerves which gives off nerve pain lower down the leg, one in particular, which makes it sore to the touch, and even a breeze on the said leg can be painful.
Physiotherapists have said that they could make the problem worse, so that's a no,no.
A surgeon also told them that surgery wasn't an option, as really, there's nothing to be done.
Also because they were quite young when first diagnosed, it would mean more surgery as they got older, so the only thing to do was pain management...
They did find hydrotherapy helpful. The warm water helped, and they done exercises in the water with weights attached to lower limbs, however, this was stopped after they moved away from the area, and no other hydro pool was available unless they traveled quite a long distance, and at that time, they felt they couldn't do the journey....
So other than pain management via pills, there's nothing else...
Exercises to help build muscle and to keep the muscles from wasting away is really the only option.

Jd xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »

Hi! recovery methods are changing all the while, think of the Service Personnel that come back and need daily physio.. 

I think that you need good pain management in the first instance.  Also as oestrogen levels drop of so muscles may become lax = aches and pains can affect us during The Change anyway.  Have you had recent X-rays to see the state of the bones and perhaps a scan to see how the muscle structures are, should be available on the NHS.

Then contact a good physiotherapist who can show you appropriate bending techniques etc..  See if swimming is useful, being non-weight bearing and warm probably won't do any harm.  Yoga can be soothing ........

Let us know how you get on.  Chronic pain is debilitating.

JaneinPen

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 05:17:18 PM »

:welcomemm: Padine.  I have had back problems for many years but last year ended up in bed for three weeks and almost a full year getting to the stage I am at now.  I ended up paying privately (long story as to why) to see a consultant and subsequent scans.  This has shown that I have probably the same as you. There is no operation that will help and I have to learn to live with what I am able to do which around the house and garden is not much at all.
Let me tell you a bit about what I did to be able to walk again and how I now manage. Once I was able I went to a physio who gave me exercises to try and strengthen the muscles either side of my spine. I do these twice a day and they are on a Swiss ball for support. I also walked with trekking poles to give me support and to ensure I walked upright because I have a tendency to lean to the right. I now walk for around forty minutes without them in the morning and with them in the afternoon as they do help strengthen the upper back.
I was told by the consultant and the physio not to swim unless I only did backstroke as it will put too much strain on the lower back so I have chosen not to do this.
I can now manage the pain with 600mg ibuprofen at breakfast and if I am having a bad day I will also take paracetamol mid morning and then 400mg ibuprofen lunchtime and evening meal time. The doctor has okayed me to do this. I also use heat pads on odd days and have a wireless TENS machine that gets an airing a few times during the week.
I have now invested in a good chair for the lounge which means I don't slouch and have also bought a new car that I can get in and out of easily.
It hasn't been an easy journey but at least taking the car up to the top of our hill (can't manage them) and walking on the flat I can get out to walk which means I see and exchange greetings with people walking their dogs etc.
I wish you luck on your journey to find a better lifestyle and hope some of what I have said helps you a little too

Padine

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »

Thanks both, spoke to GP on phone and he wants to see me before referring me back to pain clinic. First appointment is next Friday morning so only 8 more days. It is so painful but there are others far worse off than me so I shouldn't complain. First consultant told me there wasn't an operation on God's earth that would cure this, going to try hot water bottle at my lower back tonight-can't do any harm.

Padine

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »

Posts crossed over there, we do sound similar and thank you for your history on DDD x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 08:00:57 PM »

I have had 4 or 5 slipped discs and the back problem was really interfering with my normal living so I saw someone at the physio dept.  Without any X-ray or mri he diagnosed facet joint dysfunction and said he'd try me on Amitryptiline first then Pain Clinic if they don't work.  They actually worked very well but a year after starting them my dry eye condition got worse so I had to come off them.  I'd started playing golf about 7 months before coming off them and I think the muscles I'm using with golf has really helped my back !

I do so much now that I couldn't have done before without adequate pain relief x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 08:03:52 PM »

Hardwick - did U buy a high entry car - i.e. a Jeep that one can slide into and out of without bending?

Padine

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 09:45:26 PM »

To elaborate on the Dr's phone call, he said that the only way my pain relief could go up was to go onto morphine, but would need the pain clinic's opinion on that. I really like this Dr and trust him, he has a lot of respect for the lovely Consultant as do I. I just moved from the armchair 5 mins ago and the shooting pain was the worst it's ever been. Would morphine be such a bad idea? I only know of friends who have been cancer sufferers (and survivors) who have been on morphine (and I know of cannabis having been used too, but least said the better I suppose)
So much for my core building exercises helping my DDD - how can it have helped for exactly one year and 2 weeks and now the pain is back with a vengeance? I'm sorry to sound so down, I know others have many more worries but it's like toothache except the tooth can be extracted! x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:52 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Sorry but It's Your Age  ::) - I think I've been told that since I was born.

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 05:12:17 AM »

I do understand about the nerve pain.  I have had sciatica too and I (on a regular basis) pull the muscles around my left lung (golf related I guess) and the nerve pain is what can bring me to tears.  I bought an 11.99 tens machine from Lloyd's and it's been a saviour for many times

An old neighbour had morphine patches for his sciatica and was still in pain.  Personally I'd try the tens or something less potent first before a lifetime on morphine, but if that's all that will help, then go for it x

JaneinPen

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 07:56:23 AM »

Thanks both, spoke to GP on phone and he wants to see me before referring me back to pain clinic. First appointment is next Friday morning so only 8 more days. It is so painful but there are others far worse off than me so I shouldn't complain. First consultant told me there wasn't an operation on God's earth that would cure this, going to try hot water bottle at my lower back tonight-can't do any harm.
Good luck Padine.  Keep us posted on how you get on

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »

This is *your* pain though and one needs to know that pain can be controlled.  Regardless of what various medics tell us, pain often does become chronic and overwhelming and medics are so set on what they will prescribe rather than what is required at that moment in time!

It has been found that those in Hospital on morphine pumps following surgery require less pain relief - because they know that it is there if necessary and that they won't have to wait for the SHO to write up the next dose.  Same with patches, they require less for similar reasons.

Padine

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 06:58:57 PM »

For the first time ever today I cried with the pain, nothing seems to help it. Gp on Friday morning but he is reluctant to give me more meds without pain clinic's opinion. I respect his opinion and just hope and pray I won't have to wait too long.
You're so correct CLKD, my pain is mine as is any solution!
My husband is coming with me to the appointment (I asked him to) as he wants me to be on fewer pills. He says Dr may prescribe something that doesn't make me so sleepy. I'm tired and worn out explaining to him that I need this medication to function. He believes walking will strengthen my back - dr advised against walking as that impacts on my spine. I don't know how to approach this appointment and be loyal to DH while hoping Dr will get the message across to husband that tablets are necessary. He had the cheek to say today that to lose weight would help. He mentioned this yesterday in front of our lovely daughter-in-law that I was now 10st instead of 8....... or even 7+1/2 as I was a long time ago.
Of dear, here come the tears again, an early night with my book I think is the best thing for me. The amitriptylene works well and we're off to visit (understanding!) old friends tomorrow so that should be a good day, thanks for listening x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 08:24:17 PM »

Sometimes we have to wonder whose side they are on  >:(  ::).

Of course, weight loss won't be easy if you can't exercise.  It's a bit Catch22, what did we say before that book was written  :-\.  Also, what your husband thinks you need isn't actually what you require to keep you as mobile as possible.  Suddenly he's the expert?  Does he have any concrete solutions other than you need to take less, ask him whether he would make the suggestion to a diabetic?

How is his belly looking when he's undressed ......... ;)

Could you ring the Pain Clinic and take a cancellation at short-notice?  See how long the waiting list actually is likely to be?

What you reading?

Pages: [1] 2