Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post menopause  (Read 785 times)

Moo maes

Post menopause
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »

I am post menopause not having a period for 3 years but I now suffer from anxiety and low mood. I get hot flushes but that doesn't worry me I just don't like being edgy all the time. I am trying CBD oil capsules at the moment but don't want to go down the HRT route, anyone else like this?

racjen

Re: Post menopause
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:44:28 PM »

Do you mean anyone else suffer from low mood and anxiety, or anyone else not want to try HRT? There are oodles of both types on here, plus a good smattering of women like me who're on HRT but still suffer from depression and anxiety. I tried CBD oil but it made no difference whatsoever - was later told that it takes incredibly high doses to help with anxiety particularly, would be prohibitively expensive. I'm also told that magic mushrooms can help, but I wouldn't be able to identify them safely, and also don't know what dosage we're talking here.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »

Yes I suffered low mood and anxiety but found testosterone has helped very much

I also take Vit D, not sure if it's a symptom of low D but taking it helps low mood even more along with the T

If you don't want to use HRT I guess Antidepressants would be your next try x

allie007

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »

Annie0710, how did you get your testosterone? 

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »

Hello Moo maes and welcome to the forum.

I also found that three years after my period, my anxiety really kicked in.  It was the feeling of being constantly on edge and the jittery sensations in my stomach and chest that persuaded me to start HRT. I noticed that things improved after about two weeks although the problem continues. I have never used testosterone however so that could be the missing ingredient.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I do sympathise.

Wishing you well.

K.

Moo maes

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 07:26:13 PM »

I think that actually I am looking for reassurance that all these emotions and anxiety etc is all part and parcel of post meno as there is constantly talk about peri menopause but not a lot of information about post meno.  I am trying to find natural remedies for anxiety and low mood but I'm always worried (anxiety kicks in) about whether I should be taking these different herbs etc. I am on levothyroxine and know that some of these things interact with this.   

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »

Hi Moo maes. It is normal to experience these type of feelings. The further post meno you are the lower your oestrogen level drops. Peri menopause can cause problems due to hormonal fluctuations but post menopause, although it means the end of periods and the big fluctuations in hormones, can lead to other problems such as hot flushes, insomnia, bladder problems and vaginal dryness. As you say it's not always mentioned!

I'm on HRT and I'm 65. I'm not sure how old you are? There are alternatives to HRT but I didn't have any success with them.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

Annie0710, how did you get your testosterone?

I was prescribed it (twice now) by an nhs gynae x

racjen

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »

I've had anxiety and depression in both peri- and post-menopause (with a merciful break in between). In fact it's worse now that I'm post-, but that may be at least partly because my menopause was induced very suddenly by chemotherapy, so my body had no time to adjust to diminishing hormone levels.