Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Worried, scared, upset  (Read 6121 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Worried, scared, upset
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 08:16:39 AM »

Sorry missed your updates.

.......... take time to sniff the roses.  Which you are doing.  Pity that OH and management aren't on the same page, does management attend the meetings with OH?

Do you remember upright type-writers and Tip-ex  ;D

Wrensong

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »

Hi Elkwarning, thanks so much for the update - had been wondering how you were.  Please don't worry about telling it like it is - that doesn't make you needy in the least.  This is that safe place we can all do that, in the knowledge that other women understand & want to help.

I can't comment on the BP as it's outside my experience, but hopefully someone else who knows more will be along soon.

The yoga, swimming & gentle gym routine sounds very sensible & I have no doubt that if you continue along those lines it will help reduce the stress generated by the work situation.  The nail painting is lovely & made me realise that the bottle I brought downstairs to do my toenails about 3 weeks ago is still sitting there unopened!  The half hour sitting still after each coat while it dries is the deterrent.  Can't work with the quick drying stuff - tends to leave furrows!

The work situation sounds tricky.  If you feel you need to be signed off & OH are not helping, then I would think about going back to your GP.  Whatever the situation as regards department cuts, your employers have to realise they cannot expect to stretch existing staff to breaking point.
No more working through lunch hours or trying to prove what a valuable member of staff I am.  It's just so easy once you put yourself first

However, if this new attitude you've felt obliged to adopt is working for you, together with the relaxation measures outside work & the two approaches combined reduce your stress to a manageable level, then the least stressful thing might be to stay at work & see what happens before you take any further steps.  Only you know what feels right here.

Great that you have an allotment & a little dog & that the beauty of a lovely sunset still gives you pleasure.  Sounds to me as though you are doing all the right things.  Everything crossed that the work situation will improve & you continue to feel better & more in control.
Wx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »

When you've cracked what we ought to be doing, maybe start some Classes for us  ;)

Do keep in touch.  We all need to know how others are 'doing'  :)

ElkWarning

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 06:47:45 AM »

Hiya

Me again.  Well, something happened that I wasn't expecting ... I saw a therapist, and I got a diagnosis ... so much stuff just fell into place.  For years I've proceeded on the basis that I have Panic Disorder and hyper-anxiety.  I did, and I was pretty successful at tackling that.  Turns out I appear to have OCD, or a version of it, largely arising from a horribly chaotic childhood, with my son's (26 years old today) life-limiting and life-threatening condition playing straight into that chaos - his condition means I have to be highly vigilant and reactive.  Of course, looking back at my posts here, and reading my own words about how I'm going to control the situation ... I don't know.  It explains a lot of stuff.  At the moment I'm thinking about whether I'm going to go into therapy on a weekly basis.

BP still not fantastically under control, so dose of Ramipril increased to maximum.  The nurse is happy with how it is most of the time (from the twice daily readings) but not the spikes; but as the spikes are most likely caused by the above ...

Currently cycle every day, swim once a week, yoga once a week, gym twice a week, cry every day minus the HRT.

Hope you're all keeping good or, as they say, as well as can be expected.

Best EW xxx

Wrensong

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 04:47:15 PM »

Hi EW, I'm so sorry to know of your son's health problems.  Happy birthday to him for today.  Had no inkling of how much you have on your plate in addition to work.   No wonder you've felt so stressed.

Thinking back to your earlier posts, I realise now they remind me of a younger friend, a lovely woman who also has OCD.  She has apparently boundless energy & always seems to need to fill every minute with activity.  As I think you've told us you work in a Psych dept, it seems surprising to me that if you do have OCD tendencies, this was not identified earlier by one of your colleagues.

I think the prospect of regular therapy sounds as though it might be very helpful at this point in your life.  Someone who can work with you to identify what's really going on & develop strategies to make life easier.  But what do you think? 

I'm currently having (private) counselling to help me process the aftermath of a very difficult year in 2018 & did the same for 9 months about 10 years ago when the combination of a sledgehammer peri & other chronic health conditions left me highly stressed & struggling to cope.  It can be tough going airing painful issues, but can also really help, so I would encourage you to think about it.  Invaluable having that safe place to talk with someone trained to listen, who we know will not be burdened by anything we need to work through.  And the time to do something just for you, when from all you say you have not really had time to focus on your own needs.

If this approach might also help reduce your BP, seems another good reason to go ahead with therapy to me.

The varied exercise regime sounds excellent & I hope this helps you feel you have some control over improving your health.  May take time to see results, but you are investing in a better future by being physically active.

The tearfulness without HRT is sad to hear of, but I can relate to that too.  I'm also currently struggling with persistent symptoms without systemic HRT.  Is there any prospect you will be able to go back on HRT or is the BP still precluding that?

Let us know what you decide about the therapy & how you are.  Sending a big hug & hoping you will soon be feeling less vulnerable with the right sort of support.
Wx

ElkWarning

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »

Hello

Sooooo, things went haywire in a good way, I guess ...

Right at the beginning of July I got hit by what I can only describe as a fatigue truck.  I had an appointment with Occupational Health on the 3rd, and the nurse was really supportive and slightly, er, surprised that all of her recommendations had been rejected on the grounds of them not meeting the 'business need'.  Essentially, management were saying that they wouldn't make any adjustments.  She told me to go to my GP and explain the situation, which I did on the 4th.  The GP then signed me off for two weeks.  They pulled up all my medical records and identified that my BP had gone mad from October last year and in their opinion it wasn't as a result of HRT, but instead due to whatever was going on at work - they talked to me about this at some length.  The short version is that they think I'm in a stress loop, and it really does feel like that.  The doc suggested I could consider looking for another job, and should probably contact my union.

So I went into work the following day, because the guy who's my boss (before the restructure and who I still support in my role) was in for a few hours before heading off on two weeks annual leave.  We had a really nice chat and he was absolutely fuming.  As he correctly identified, everything was fine until the restructure (last October, lol, yeah, when my BP kicked off) and he said he wanted to take me back under his wing so that I could be brilliant me and he would be responsible for ensuring I had the flexibility to do my job properly.  It wasn't until I was talking to him that I realised we used to work stuff out between ourselves and it's the interference of 'management' which is screwing things up.  The way he's going to tackle this is by going to my line manager's line manger.  While this is a kind of weight of my mind, I do feel as if it's also potentially conflict and I'm relatively conflict averse - except, of course, I'm currently playing out this conflict in other areas of my life.

I haven't contacted the union yet, because I wanted to take the two weeks sick leave for R&R, rather than still be immersed in all the problems that got me here in the first place.

In terms of the self care element, I really did want to get on with yoga, but just couldn't.  I tired mindfulness and ended up with a war in my head and near a panic attack.  So I'm at gym 2 - 3 times a week and swimming once a week.  This does seem to be working for me.  I'm on edge though.  All the time.

In other news, I had to say goodbye to my dear old dog, Dexter, last Wednesday.  A vet came to our home.  Hubs took little dog (Harley) out to the pub, which meant I did it on my own.  It was terribly hard.  I'm still crying every day.  A rescue puppa, he'd been with me 15 years.  It's just awful.  What I am able to recognise, though, is just how much shit (sorry for the language) I plough through.  I've got so much on my plate ... pretty sure most of it is a relatively common experience, e.g. dealing with old pets, ageing parents, kids striking out on their own, the old body falling apart a bit, workplace issues, hormones all over the place, sudden change creating a fear of the future, etc.  It's a lot.  You're just jogging along and then, suddenly, wham, so many things smack you in the face all at once.  It's like I haven't got any resilience left.

Re:  therapy, it's really tough, realising a bunch of stuff.  I know that I knew it, but now I'm saying it.  Some things I've never actually articulated before, e.g. yeah, I know what it feels like to love other people, but I don't know what it feels like when other people love me, I know they do, because their actions show it, but I don't feel it, or if I do feel it, I don't have a reference point for it.  Very weird.  Lots of stuff being thrown up all at once.

Hope you're all ok.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 04:09:59 PM »

Elk,
Please don't feel too sad, for too long, about losing your beloved Dexter.  You quite clearly gave him a wonderful life. And at the end you gave him the greatest gift.
He was a very lucky dog to have been rescued into your loving home. Have no regrets, and remember all the joy he bought you.
Wishing you well, Pants. xx
Pages: 1 2 [3]