Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vagifem side effect?  (Read 5959 times)

Lizzie06

Vagifem side effect?
« on: May 12, 2019, 08:05:19 PM »

Hello Ladies, I've been using Vagifem for the last 4 weeks to help with recurring UTIs. I'm just starting my 3rd week of every other night dosage of 10mcg. So far the Vagifem has been successful as I've not had a UTI. However, over the last few days I have been very itchy around the labia and vagina opening, which I've not experienced before. I also have some discharge. I've been applying multi gyn which has helped to calm things down but I'm still itchy. Could this be a reaction to the Vagifem? Should I persevere with using Vagifem? Any advice welcome.  Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem side effect?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »

Firstly - did you have urine infections diagnosed in a Lab.?

Some ladies find that they need another product with the 'vagifem', I use KY Jelly with success on the outer lips, others have sylc or yes products.  Your symptoms are usually due to dryness - as oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry, inside and out  >:(

Have a search for the products and see if anything would suit?  You can use 'vagifem' nightly if necessary.

Lizzie06

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »

Firstly - did you have urine infections diagnosed in a Lab.?

Some ladies find that they need another product with the 'vagifem', I use KY Jelly with success on the outer lips, others have sylc or yes products.  Your symptoms are usually due to dryness - as oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry, inside and out  >:(

Have a search for the products and see if anything would suit?  You can use 'vagifem' nightly if necessary.
Thank you for reply. Yes all urine samples came back as infections, and treated each time with ABs. I was advised by my urologist to try Vagifem to help with the UTIs. I'm also using Evorel conti patches and use sylc and Yes to moisturise.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »

Often the fillers in Vagifem and the oestrogen creams can irritate.  Multi Gyn used internally and externally can help but many of us find you just need to use some vaginal moisturisers daily e.g. SYLK or the YES products,  to keep things more comfortable.
Keeping the vaginal flora in balance is the key but over time the local oestrogen should plump the skin and make it more resilient and less prone to irritation.  It is about constant management though :-\. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »

Yep.  Keep treating B4 symptoms become problematic, it's so easy to say 'It's OK tonight'  ::)

jaycee

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »

Vagifem can make things seem worse rather than better to begin with but it will settle down ,

Tc

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »

I have had thrush for the first time in years on vagifem. It hasnt stopped me using it as I know it has benefits and maybe the thrush wasnt connected. . I have found switching to ovestin  from estriol for the outside bits and around entrance has made a big difference in dryness it seems to have a more sustained effect. It was an accident by my pharmasist who gave me the stronger  ovestin by mistake.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 02:01:36 PM »

? 'ovestin 1gm ?  :-\

Tc

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »

The ovestin is 10 times the strength I believe. . It's a 15mg  tube. I only apply it outside and just in entrance. I know he made a mistake but  if you were using it inside you couldnt use too much the applicator is so much smaller and it holds the correct dose. If you were to try to use the estriol applicator it would take a whole tube of the ovestin to fill it!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 08:50:28 AM »

TC - if you use some Multi Gyn Actigel each morning after using the Vagifem it really helps to counter the negative effects of the fillers.
Multi Gyn Actigel treats and prevents infections like Thrush and Bacterial vaginitis that can take hold due to an imbalance in the vaginal flora. Multi Gyn helps to maintain the correct balance but don't use it every day as it is a bit acidic  - it tends to sting a bit at first after application but is then soothing - I use it 2-3 times a week to keep things healthy alongside Vagifem.  Use a good dollop on teh end of my finger , push some up inside and then around the outside. I do use SYLK every day after my shower as well. 
If you buy Multi Gyn Actigel it tends to be cheaper online - I noticed it was a good £3 - £4 more expensive in Boots.  DG x

Tc

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:34:18 PM »

Thanks DG. I dont know how but I missed your reply. Very helpful. I will get some actigel. Especially since I use vagifem and ovestin every night. And since my post I've had thrush again.  taking canneston tablets every few weeks isnt ideal. They will end up not working.

I hope you are well DG. Thanks for taking the time to reply xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 08:08:39 AM »

? Lizzie ?  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 08:44:16 AM »

The fillers in the oestrogen creams made my urethra burn like crazy - we are all different and what will work for one women will not suit another. As so many of us on this site say “it's trial and error” - find what works for you. This forum is about helping others to find that 'right way forward' so I speak from my own experience and hope it helps others. 

I do find I need to use Multi Gyn Actigel to prevent vaginal infections taking hold - it is about 'a range of strategies' to keep things comfortable.

I believe there isn't a really good vaginal oestrogen treatment available yet: GPs and even gynaecologists are not that clued up on the problems and treatments of urogenital atrophy and pharmacological companies need to do more work on this. DG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »

I think ideally, a pessary or cream that helped on more levels and not just delivering oestrogen would be great.  If a treatment could offer moisturisation and some preventative against infection and thrush that would be great. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »

VA treatment should do that.  Thrush certainly requires diagnosis by a medic and appropriate treatment, I tried an over the counter preparation years ago and was in a cool bath for 2 hours due to burning!

A healthy vagina is moist which protects the area.  It's that dryness  >:( that starts problems  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4