Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BBC breakfast menopause week next week  (Read 5067 times)

Ladybt28

Re: BBC breakfast menopause week next week
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 10:50:09 AM »

my lovely husband remarked "every week is menopause week"!!!  ;D
Haven't seen any of it yet but not pleased to hear they are still peddling the theory that it lasts 5 years  >:(  I wish!!!!
but I suppose they all have to start somewhere on a misunderstood and undiscussed subject and bring as many issues as time allows to the public as they can.  I suppose that prescribing issues and access to treatment probably comes higher on the list of importance than how long to take hrt - you have to be able to get your hands on the stuff and the right stuff to be able to take it!  :-\

sheila99

Re: MENOPAUSE DISCUSSION bbc1
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »

I missed it. Was there anything useful?

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »

All this week (until Friday 17th May 2019) we hope that most of the country will be "waking up to menopause", courtesy of BBC Breakfast.
But If you miss it, don't worry, we'll be updating you on what was said next week.

It'll be in our newsletter. If you don't subscribe to the free newsletter, you'll miss all the goodies.

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 11:23:35 AM »

Thanks Emma

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »

Haven't seen it yet, if they do as Herdwick has written i'll wait it will be easier than trying to find the right segments.

Lanzalover

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 07:57:40 AM »

Just seen the policewoman on the BBC menopause section gosh she was me even down to the totally irrational fear of the supermarket there were several months when I couldn't even go in to a supermarket fortunately DH did the shopping for months or wise we wouldn't have eaten.

Lanzalover x

Robin

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 08:18:44 AM »

Love that Liz Earle said that the fact there is no mandatory training for GPs and practice nurses is a shocker

Robin

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »

She says much more later in the programme. Excellent!

JaneinPen

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »

Yes Liz Earle was excellent. I thought yesterday's piece about the trainee doctors electing to learn about the menopause even although it is not part of their training was also shocking. Good that they want to do it but this should be mandatory and it should also be mandatory that they talk to mums, aunties, grandmothers and their friends to get a real perspective on how many ways it affects us lovely ladies. Rant over  :)

Robin

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »

Absolutely agree Herdwick

Krystal

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »

In the Mail Newspaper last Saturday (11 May 2019} the TV presenter Ulrika Johnson gave an honest view of how the onset of the menopause affected her and her family. She openly said she thought was had the early onset of dementia, she gave an example, she wanted her son to collect her cardigan from upstairs, she said she had the picture I her mind of what she wanted and could not get the words out. A simple thing like that made her doubt her own mind. She said she became anxious and felt protective towards her children. It was not until she mentioned this to her mum that she was able to start to feel in control again. Her mother said she had experienced similar feelings when she went through the menopause. I have read a lot on this website about women feeling as if they are well and truly loosing control of their life which in turns leads to anxiety. When I was going through the menopause I woke up each morning with an irrational fear about not getting through the day at work, even though my daily routine at work always went fairly smoothly. Yes it is about time women spoke about this stage of womanhood. It should not be the butt of jokes about sweating hot flushes and shove her on HRT she'll be OK. The problems of the menopause should be part of live events taught in schools alongside relationship issues. Boys and girls should be made aware of hormonal changes not just in teenage years and pregnancy, but also mid life changes. Although for young people this is a long way off they may have contact with family members of middle age, and some knowledge may help them understand this a little better, in the same was the more mature generations need to understand the problems young people face. Lets keep talking about this and maybe everyone will become more aware.  Well done to the BBC and all who are promoting this issue.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »

I wasn't aware that there is a news letter  ::)  :thankyou: Emma - joined up for it.

Has 'our MaryJane' been out and about with her menopausal vagina this week  ;) ?

Ladybt28

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »

Yep - 2017/18 "I did an Ulrika" on a grand scale - my family had been taking the mick - they thought I had dementia...I laughed (most of the time) but actually it's really scary and no funny at all - missing words, forgetfulness and absolute terror if anyone I cared about left the house they would be dead by the time they literally got to the end of the gate!!! were some of the extremes but there were others! Crazy lady everyway you could think of for nearly a year.  All gone now but to be honest I cannot get my head round how our world thinks it's ok for women to have to live like that and no one who should know better can make the relevant connections - now I know why - those who "should know better" just don't because it is...not a compulsory subject huh????!!!" :steamed: :angryfire

well...I can certainly find the words now and they are defo not repeatable!  That is an astonishing abomination!  Would have thought that was a basic given every women in the world will go through it one way or another. I am dumbfounded.

JaneinPen

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 07:18:46 AM »

Excellent letter on louise Newsons  twitter feed today from somebody who has experienced what many of the members of this forum have when trying to access appropriate care for menopausal symptoms from their gp
Just seen on Twitter that they are going to put all the segments together on BBC iPlayer so by the end of the week if you missed some of the segments they will all be available to watch. Brilliant
To see the entire week. Go to BBC breakfast iPlayer. Select the clips tab and they will be there. Today's coverage is really good. Covering a wide range of topics including starting the morning at a little after 6:00 am talking about testosterone

Robin

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »

It was good to see pelvic floors mentioned today and testosterone too but vaginal atrophy wasn't covered at all. That's so disappointing as it's something so many of us really suffer with and struggle to talk about. It was my first perimenopausal symptom and took me years to access treatment due to gp lack of knowledge.

They've done a great job and covered a lot throughout the week. I really do feel it will have raised awareness but we still need GPs to be prepared to prescribe or women will continue to suffer. Fingers crossed the parliamentary inquiry will bring about some changes particularly in terms of gp training
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:17:00 PM by Robin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3