Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: worried about abnormal anti-body results  (Read 4315 times)

Katejo

Re: worried about abnormal anti-body results
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »

It was explained to me that when you have these antithyroid antibodies they do eventually destroy your thyroid's function - however there are many ups and downs along the way with your thyroid sputtering into action periodically.

Presumably if you continue to have your TSH checked annually your doctor will increase your thyroxine dose when needed until you're taking full replacement (150 mcg ish I think).

I've sometimes wondered if things might be better once the thyroid packs in completely and you can take a full replacement dose without any fluctuations. However its been 20+ years now and I'm still only on 75 mcg!

You're right there's tons of info out there - very easy to tie yourself in knots with it!
I am taking 150 mcg  but haven't had any hair thinning at all. Mine has always been thick and fast growing  (more out than in length).

Peacegirl

Re: worried about abnormal anti-body results
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 04:15:42 PM »

I just take antihistamines regularly. I was diagnosed with alopecia at the same time as low thyroid (may be all connected?) and all the hair on my arms and legs disappeared in a period of a few months. I wonder if its all related. I tend not to think about it too much. Its been going on so long now I've reached the stage where I really can't be bothered being bothered any more. I just take the tablets and hope for the best!

I know what you mean about cant be bothered! Im sure it is all related somehow but not sure how helpful it is to know that. I think theres an ongoing problem with medical practitioners obsession with so-called normal ranges. They should only be taken as a guide surely as we are all different!
Pages: 1 [2]