Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: sudden hair loss  (Read 14861 times)

Sammiejane

Re: sudden hair loss
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2019, 05:36:57 PM »

hi jaycee

i don't understand it because i've been told by gynocologist that my vagina is well estronised and no VA but have persistent dampness i think it wee to be honest i had a wee in a hug earlier and poured it on clean pair of knickers just a little then smelled it and then smelled the wet patch in the knickers i was wearing and smells the same no odour really just smells of damp. my gynocologist said to do the tampon test by putting a tampax in for few hours go about normal day and if leaking the knickers would be wet so going to try that if it's just discharge from vagina then knickers should be dry , but then i read the pressure from having a tampax in can help with incontinenece so it may stop any leakage anyway but something isn't right i can feel it and it's more then VA and since increasing my gel to 3 pumps it's got worse i don't feel it coming out though but the wet patch lines up with my wee hole .

jaycee

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2019, 09:27:48 PM »

Sammijo, i don't know what to suggest then, except do as you are planning and go to the menopause clinic,i never felt dry and had no pain or discomfort etc,
It was only because i got a bad urine infection that i ended up having vagifem prescribed, and i didn't use them often, and the ovestin does leak out and leave a dry white patch later

Joney

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2019, 01:01:07 PM »

Sudden hair loss is terrible. It happened to my daughter in her early 20s, she lost about 80%.  She was low in iron so making sure that is ok has helped. Minoxidil helped too although that is an expensive option but for her it was worth it.

jaycee

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2019, 11:49:46 PM »

Joney,did your daughters hair come back with minoxidil, and did it not fall out again, as they say it does if you stop it, but maybe if hair is going to come back anyway it wont fall out again

My iron is not too low,but it was quite low last year,but built it up gradually,
Apparently i was told too high iron can cause hair loss too
Sounds strange but it my vet who told me that

Joney

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2019, 06:54:32 PM »

The hair came back and she is still on it as it was so devestating at the time. 

jaycee

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »

Joney,how old is your daughter now, i mean how long has she been on Minoxidil, and has she ever tried to come off it
I was told by a lady on gransnet a few months ago that she went on minoxidil, and she has stopped it and no hair fall out since
I am seriously thinking of trying it, but i am seeing the Dermatologist, so will see what he says
I don't want to go down the wig route,and really have too much hair for a wig,i have looked at toppers, but would prefer my own hair.
It's just patchy, the rest of my hair is quite ok, and growing without any problem
I can understand why your daughter was so upset,at her age, it is upsetting at any age,but especially when so young

Joney

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2019, 12:03:30 AM »

Jaycee she was 23. She went on the Monoxidil and is still on it 4 years later  though she has reduced it a lot. She is too scared to stop. Who knows if hair would have come back without it but at the time it seemed like a good option and her hair did come back.

jaycee

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »

Poor girl it must have been dreadful for her, has she ever seen anyone professional about it,?
Maybe if it was just a case of low iron she could be fine without minoxidil but I can understand how frightened she is, in case it happens again,
Could I ask how long it was before she saw any regrowth,
I am seeing the dermatologist again next Tuesday,he said it would come back, and it was Telogen Effluvium, but
According to the derm it can come back,someone higher up thread said TE wasn't curable, sorry forgot who, might be Stellajane,
The information he printed out for me says it usually resolves itself, but medication doesn't speed up the process
Mine he said is chronic TE as it has lasted more than 6 months,so he might do a skin biopsy

jaycee

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2019, 10:53:16 AM »

My dermatologist hasn't ruled out regaine, only said it is a lifelong treatment, having read more about TE it says it is more all over thinning,mine is slightly thinner than it used to be all over, but it is more bald looking patches, but not properly bald there is some hair but very very thin,so does look bald at first glance ,i would say more Alopecia Areata,or a combination of both
My own Dr said if it's stress related it will come back
I will decide after i have seen the derm on tuesday what to do about it,
I have too much hair otherwise for a wig, in fact it is still quite thick at the front and also below where the patches are, not much hair missing from the crown area either
I am still not convinced that it wasn't a hair colour i had used, just for the root area, a brand i have often used but not this one just for roots

jaycee

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »

Stellajane i wouldn't be happy at all if it was hair colouring, as all my blood tests have come back normal, so if not hair colour,it's either stress related or hormone related,
I would be furious if it's hair colour,in case it's killed the roots

Joney

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »

Jaycee the hair came back quickly, new growth appeared within weeks or at most months though of course it took several years before it was back to the previous length and she wore a wig for a while as she had lost so much hair and it was all over her head.   

jaycee

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2019, 10:24:54 PM »

Poor girl, it's bad enough when you are my age, but can only imagine what it must be like for a young girl
I have thought about a wig but i seem to have lots of hair otherwise,in fact when i look at it in the mirror it is easy to forget i have patches missing at the back, but have had lots of tests and all are ok
After i have seen the derm on tuesday i will decide what to do,
A topper might be ok, but it is finding someone who has them ,the cheaper ones are very sparse and the others i have enquired about are very expensive but thicker, and none near me, but i am still looking,i have tried lots of these sprays, waste of money, lots of shampoos, i think nioxin has helped to reduce the hair fall, but will see what the derm says on tuesday
Iwould rather have my own hair , and at my age might be worth using regaine,and if i have to sacrifice something i will , don't smoke,or drink so can't give that up.lol

jaycee

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2019, 06:32:41 PM »

25 years? so it took so long to stabalise? not sure i understand as you said your father died in 2017,and the hair loss started,maybe i have misunderstood and your father died 25 years ago :-\

Ladybt28

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »

Jaycee - plenty of toppers on ebay which are now 100% real hair, so you can dye them the right colour if you have to. Some not too expensive, but you can go up according to budget and different kinds and different shapes and weights depending on how thick you need,  I have a couple and have dyed them.  I use just for thinning at the crown, I don't have any bald patches thoughxx

jaycee

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »

I did send for a topper from ebay,but it was very thin and didn't cover enough area,
I have been told that some synthetic hair looks as good a real hair,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]