Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Vaginal progesterone inc Utrogestan, and endometrial protection: some studies  (Read 13290 times)

pluto

thank you!

Hurdity

Bump for babspiglet

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Bump for Dawn20 and anyone else who is interested and hasn't seen it.... :)

Hurdity x

lizziejt

This is such a useful thread, thank you @Hurdity.  I can't tolerate Utrogestan orally so I did  some research and am currently taking 100mg vaginally on alternate nights - I'm on a 75mcg Estradot patch. I did have a bleed but it's stopped now. I am wondering if this dose is enough? Any advice would be very welcome. I don't want a regular bleed as I have low ferritin. Also how often do i need to have a scan?

lizziejt

Hi Avalon, wow really? That makes me think I need to up my dose to nightly! Are you increasing or will you continue to monitor and how often do you have a scan? Thanks x

lizziejt

How annoying! I've never had a scan but will get one in a few months. Thanks for your help, good luck!

violetbat

I'm due to start my utro tonight. I am still peri but have been on the gel/utro combo for over a year. I have been using it viginally for most of the time . 2 tablets for 10-12 days ( depending on hoe bad the side effects are).
Since I am peri would it be ok to take just 100mg a night? I am unclear as the studies seem to suggest this regime apply to newly post menopausal women. I would love not to take as much as my body is not very progesterone tolerant( I have a bad time with my own and always know when it's increasing).
If anyone has an idea about this i would be very grateful. :-)

Kelrob12

Hi,
Ive just started my next round on oral 200mg Utrogestan, and now think I do get anxious whilst on it . I had originally thought it didn't affect me but have been keeping a diary and I get more pain and anxious whilst on it. Im on 100mg patch - the meno clinic said I was ok to take vaginally 100mg for the same number of days - did anyone get anxious on Utrogestan and found it helped vaginally?
thanks Kelly

Hurdity

You may or may not find that 100 mg vaginally is sufficient to protect your womb with 100 mcg oestrogrn patch. Has the 200 g cyclical utro been OK so far re bleeding and womb lining?

With vaginal use the progesterone first gets to the uterus lining which is its target, whereas with oral intake it has to go through digestion and the liver first. Also orally there are a large number of metabolic breakdown products some of which are responsible for the negative side effects. However progesterone itself is sedating and can cause fatigue, headaches and lethargy in some women who are susceptible or at high doses.

If the meno clinic have advised it then why not give it a try especially as it is a lower dose?

Do let us know how you get on (maybe start another thread just for you as this one is mainly about the studies so your posts might get missed?).

Hurdity x

Anne G

This info is really helpful - thank you.  I'm in the menopause - last period Sept '19 - and about to start HRT as have severe anxiety and low mood issues.  Wish I'd realised years ago my "depression" was probably due to peri-m!! I've been concerned about taking Utrogestan orally so really helpful to understand I can take it vaginally and how to adjust the dose. The quote from Louise Newson's website is perfect. 

Hurdity

Bump for sfifties

Hurdity

Bump for jan1234

Hurdity

Also meant to add this paper by British Menopause Society which discusses vaginal use of Utrogestan as well:
https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/14-BMS-TfC-Progestogens-and-endometrial-protection-01H.pdf

Hurdity x

joziel

Please don't laugh at this anyone  ;D ;D ;D

But I was worried about the capsule dissolving okay vaginally so it could be absorbed (since it's designed to be taken orally). So I did a little test.. ;D

I put a capsule in a little glass of water and left it. I actually forgot about it for many hours. When I came back, the capsule was still undissolved in the glass. It had gone from being hard to being soft-shell and squishy, but I did have to squash it gently between my fingers before the progesterone inside came out.

Soooo, I'm now worried these oral capsules won't dissolve okay up there!?!?  :-\

Joaniepat

But bearing in mind the capsule will be inside you, wouldn't your body heat make a difference?
JP x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4