Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Vaginal progesterone inc Utrogestan, and endometrial protection: some studies  (Read 13305 times)

Tc

Saffy. Thanks for sharing that.

Sorry to hear you are still having those rough days.

You saw my gravy and carrot post!! Sometimes  I wonder if I come across on here as completely loop de loop :) 

Xxx

Ladybt28

Hey Tc - loop de loop  ;D absolutely but just like the rest of us!! so your in good company.
Saffy - I don't think any of us ever get back to how we were - its just if you are down at minus 10 on the scale of feeling dreadful its about how far back towards 0 (feeling OK!) you can get.  Each step down from 10 is just a bonus - how flaming sad is that!!

See the carrot and gravy post - what an absolutely ace thing to say - your niece is a wise women!

Wrensong

Tc - loop de loop?!  Took me a few mins to recall where I'd heard that first!  Shirley Valentine?  If so, you missed out a vital word before the 2nd loop if I remember rightly!  Won't repeat that here . . . ;D

Tracey E

Really useful information. Thank you! I am wondering if a table of some sort with all the results in would be a good idea.... I'm also wondering how I'll find the time to make one. Essential for that presentation though. I will post it if I make it.  :)

I'm on 2 pumps of Estrogel and was taking one 100mg Utrogestan orally every day, but after 3 months, I found it made me very drowsy. I'm on one 100mg Utrogestan vaginally every other day now. Feeling a lot better now. And this research evidence makes me feel reassured I'm safe doing that.

Hi, have you had any bleeds with taking it every other day?

Tc

Lady. Yep. My carrot and gravy analogy my niece has much to teach me.  And Yes wren. Shirley valentine.

"Hiya wall, what's wrong with that? A woman 3 doors down talks to her friggin microwave".
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:32:54 PM by Tc »

Wrensong

Hahaha - yes Tc - one of my favourite films!  ;D

Hurdity

Bump for pricey and Wooz - asking for information about whether utrogestan was prescribed and licensed only for oral use.

Look at my last post (before the carrots and gravy  ;)!).

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Re: Vaginal progesterone inc Utrogestan, and endometrial protection: some studies
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »

Bump for coldlittleheart

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Bump for winnie1967

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Bumpity bump....

Hurdity x

Lolafraola

Tx Hurdity.
So as I understand it.
Taking Utro 100mg every other day without a break for as long as required (to counteract a low dose of estrogen) should be fine. A periodic scan should also be scheduled but there's no reason to take a break (this is what I've been told by my meno Dr).

LF x

Hurdity

The preliminary studies do show that this works for the number of women in the trial - and if your menopause doctor has approved it for a low dose of oestrogen aslong with regular scans then that's fab :) Good luck!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Bumpity bump for AJacynM

Hurdity x

Hurdity

There has been regular discussion over the years about the effectiveness of taking half the dose of progesterone (Utrogestan) when used vaginally.

Some of the papers whose abstracts are quoted at the beginning of this thread, form the basis of some of the research demonstrating this, which comprise several small studies but with low to medium dose oestrogen.

In view of a recent thread citing Louise Newson's recommendation that half the licensed oral utrogestan dose can be taken if used vaginally, and also because it has been rasied before, I am updating this thread with what she actually says on her page.

Here is Dr Newson's information:

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/micronised-progesterone-or-utrogestan

"How is Utrogestan taken?

Utrogestan is given as a 100 mg capsule. There are two ways of taking Utrogestan.

?   For women who have still had periods in the last 6-12 months, the usual recommended dose is two 100mg capsules, taken together each evening, for two out of four weeks, on a repeating basis.
?   For women who have not had a period for over a year, the usual recommended dose is taking one 100mg capsule every evening, without a break.

The dosage information that comes with the medication differs slightly to this, but it is far more straightforward to take it in this way and easier to remember. It is completely safe to take it in the way we have described.

Utrogestan is a natural sedative so can cause drowsiness in some women. It is therefore recommended you take it at bedtime. It is best to take Utrogestan on an empty stomach because eating food can actually increase its absorption.

Some women use the progesterone vaginally rather than taking it orally, which can be associated with less side effects. Evidence has shown that using 100mg progesterone vaginally alternate evenings as a continuous (no bleed) preparation or 100mg progesterone vaginally every evening for 12-14 days each month as a cyclical (leading to periods) preparation is safe.

Many women use the oral Utrogestan capsules vaginally or some women use Cyclogest pessaries (these contain 200mg progesterone and can be cut in half). Progesterone is not licensed to be used in this way but there is evidence to support that this is safe. Women who use it in this way should seek individualised advice from their doctor."

Hurdity x

Hurdity

Bumpity bump for pluto

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4