Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Came off HRT and have aged 20 years in 2 !!  (Read 2504 times)

joewillsmom

Came off HRT and have aged 20 years in 2 !!
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »

Hi,
I came off combined HRT...it will be two years in September. I'd been on it since I was 38 due to early perimenopause and awful physical and emotional issues. I finally came off it as I wanted to know if I had actually gone through MP and I was concerned that I'd been on it for ages - so anyway my periods stopped and I've seen nothing since.
My emotional issues have settled (though I am on anti anxiety meds now too) but OH MY WORD I think I've aged 20 years since coming off HRT.
Grey hairs, dry skin everywhere and for some reason I now have really sore spots either side of my mouth and chin (where I would have a beard if I were a man)...
Now I know that these aren't awful symptoms and there are so much worse things that could be happening. But I wondered if there are things that I could do and if anyone has had similar? I feel like a twit for even asking really, as when I first joined the forum in the early days I was experiencing symptoms so much worse and would've given anything to feel like I do now.....but I suddenly look in the mirror and I'm not there anymore and I've not even been off the HRT for 2 years yet.
I'd love any advice please.
Thank you
x

Turkish delight

Re: Came off HRT and have aged 20 years in 2 !!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »

Hia Joe!

I must say your header filled me with fear lol :'(

I've only been on hrt for 10 weeks but was thinking only this morning about what will happen to my body if I stopped hrt in say 5 years, i'm 51.

What you describe is I think worse of a shock for you having started hrt quite young. You didn't mention your current age, but where most ppl start taking hrt in their early 50's, and your body is already on the decline so it's less of a shock coming out of the other side.

I wish you could expand and tell us more on the ways you've feel you changed, and that others would join in with their post hrt experiences, as I haven't seen any posts of this nature on here before.

Sorry I can't be of any help to you, other than to say your probably still beautiful in everyone else's eyes, we are our own worst critics. Don't be so hard on yourself if you can try to be kind to the person staring back at you in that mirror  :foryou:

Peace
TD
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:34:46 PM by Turkish delight »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 01:36:34 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  I dribble at night [not a pretty sight, still trying to find a suitable paper bag  ::)] which causes mouth to be sore: Savlon or Vaseline stick solves that one, applied often.  Do read our vaginal atrophy threads!!

Grey hair is usual  :-\ ........ I had my first ones aged 29  ::).  Aches and pains may be because muscles become lax, over the counter pain relief should suffice. 

Don't feel a twit!  If one doesn't ask one doesn't find out and if we knew everything, we wouldn't be here  :foryou:

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »

Hello joewillsmom.

Sorry to read that you are upset about your appearance. This getting older malarkey is hard to deal with even at the best of times.

I wonder if the sore patches in the corners of your mouth are infact a vitamin  B deficiency? It may be worth looking into and would be easily fixed by a supplement.

Hope this helps and take care.

K.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:30:27 PM »

Hi joewillsmom. I'm not sure how old you are but the years on HRT before the normal meno age of around 51 don't count in the 'Ive been on HRT for too long' scenario as you are merely replacing the oestrogen which should naturally have been yours. . Many women going through early meno do as you have done and come off HRT to see how they are feeling without it but if they then find they feel rubbish off it they go back on it. This is something you may like to consider.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »

People forget: HRT = hormone replacement therapy  ;)

joewillsmom

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:30:36 AM »

Hi everyone.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I will be 49 in June and would love to feel full of energy again. Turkish Delight I'm sorry to fill you with fear, please don't let my moaning terrify you - I probably AM just moaning lol.
I did consider HRT again, but everyone was advising me against (my sister, friends, osteopath) and I'm easily swayed by the mention of the C word as suffer horrible health anxiety too. I think I'll do a bit more research after your suggestions though as I was perfectly happy on it, but don't really want to go back to period's again.  I was on Prempak C combined HRT before, maybe something different is available. I also read on another thread here that maybe Estriol cream is good - I do suffer for horrible dryness and these spots....they must be hormonal as they come quite literally where I would have a beard - God forbid !! Is menopausal acne even a thing?
Thank you ladies, I really do appreciate your replies  xx

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 07:52:34 AM »

I went onto the gel and utrogestan at 40 am now well into my 50s and have only started counting the years from a few back, my lovely gynae said that he has ladies well into their 70s on it, I am not intending to stop anytime soon. I strongly suggest that you ask to be prescribed a bio identical hormone, preferably the patch or gel that is administered transdermally, it bypasses the liver and is considered a safer option and I have no side effects from it.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »

Have a look at Louise Newsons website My Menopause Doctor. It's now known that the risks are very small. She explains it really well and there's  lots of good up to date information there

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »

Why listen to others unless they have factual knowledge about medication?  :-\

I don't have time to look in the mirror but OH! that woman that I kind of know that looks back at me from shop windows  :-X

Butterfly22

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »

I've been on a one hrt (tried them all) for a year and could tell I was aging, grey hair very dry skin (I'm normally very oily) dry everywhere if you no what I mean.
Sweats were coming back so I thought I want to know if I'm getting enough Estrogen so I went to the doctors and asked for a blood test. They called week as want to see me as my levels are very very low!
I'm so annoyed, I'm only 44 and have been going through it since I was 25, my skin under my arms and thighs is already lost elasticity and feel old before my time.
Silly question but do you drink loads of water? Also it's worth investing in a good face cream. Xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »

Lack of oestrogen may cause laxity of muscles.

Butterfly22

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »

I can tell, my mum said her skin went like this at 55 mine started at 40. Xx

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 06:21:38 PM »

Hi everyone.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
I will be 49 in June and would love to feel full of energy again. Turkish Delight I'm sorry to fill you with fear, please don't let my moaning terrify you - I probably AM just moaning lol.
I did consider HRT again, but everyone was advising me against (my sister, friends, osteopath) and I'm easily swayed by the mention of the C word as suffer horrible health anxiety too. I think I'll do a bit more research after your suggestions though as I was perfectly happy on it, but don't really want to go back to period's again.  I was on Prempak C combined HRT before, maybe something different is available. I also read on another thread here that maybe Estriol cream is good - I do suffer for horrible dryness and these spots....they must be hormonal as they come quite literally where I would have a beard - God forbid !! Is menopausal acne even a thing?
Thank you ladies, I really do appreciate your replies  xx
My osteopath is a keen user of  HRT and doesn't intend to give it up. She is 58 or 59.