Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Palm oil  (Read 7204 times)

Taz2

Re: Palm oil
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2019, 05:22:21 PM »

Yeah a nice bit of lard spread onto toast and liberally sprinkled with salt - poor man's dripping! Bread and scrape my grandmother used to call it.

Its a wonder our parents actually made it to adulthood.

Is Trex still around? Funnily enough I was thinking about it the other day.

I think the sedentary lives we now lead make the difference between their apparent long lives despite lard and the horror with which it's talked about nowadays? My dad was a lorry driver and driving a lorry in the forties, fifties and sixties was a proper work out. Same as my mum doing the housework. No automatic washing machines or vacuum cleaners in the early days. Gardening too was much more physical. Kept the heart healthier I'm sure.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2019, 05:25:00 PM »

I agree.  When I remember what my grandparents ate but they also walked or cycled, worked on the land, walked cows 2 and from the fields often several miles between farm and pasture.  So energy was burned off every day. 

Shadyglade

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2019, 05:48:27 PM »

Trex the family baking - 2019 - sign up for the newsletter

Trex = hydrogenated vegetable fat.

Uck, give me butter anyday.

Dierdre

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 06:23:10 PM »

I can remember having bread and dripping for breakfast made from pork leaf(whatever that was) covered in salt, was lovely.  Going back to this palm oil, I've not heard anything before about this and just googled it, why on earth dont we just use rapeseed or sunflower instead?

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »

Because World Wide we don't grow enough.  Because World Wide we don't have the space which is why huge areas of forest are grubbed out  :'(

Dierdre

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »

Well if that carrys on well have plenty of empty space, are they not replanting? How awful!! We never learn  :(

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »

Nope.  Orang utans are in grave danger due to deforestation which also has a knock on effect allowing water to put off, causing mud slides and drownings.  Trees really do breath air as well as slowing down flooding. 

jaypo

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »

Humans will destroy everything,we've raped and pillaged the earths resources we cause the extinction of beautiful creatures but like Deirdre says,we never learn.
I remember some halfwit decided to re introduced hedgehogs on Stornaway,was it?keep me right clkd 😊 then the hedgehogs do what they do and started eating all the eggs of ground laying birds,so then what happened?They then had to go and kill the hedgehogs,omg,it makes no sense,these people should be hung drawn and quartered.
Rant over🤨

Taz2

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 10:47:06 AM »

This is about sustainable palm oil - not sure if it's been posted before.. maybe by me  ;D https://greenpalm.org/about-palm-oil/sustainable-palm-oil

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 [3]