Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vivid dreams and hot most nights  (Read 5679 times)

Countrygirl

Vivid dreams and hot most nights
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:01:09 AM »

When I started my patches back in Jan I would only get the vivid dreams for a week or so a month and always accompanied by being really hot. In the last month it's become every night like it did before I started using them, so am back to being tired out most mornings again x

Has anyone got any ideas why they have started like this again after 3 months of easing off x

Lanzalover

Re: Vivid dreams and hot most nights
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 06:33:55 AM »

Good morning Countrygirl

Sorry to hear you are having problems again it sounds like you may need a higher dose patch.
Unfortunately I'm unable to help with the vivid dreams the only time I've ever had them was when I was using Utrogestan but hopefully some one will be along to give you more advice later.

Lanzalover x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »

Morning.  I have a 'dreams' thread somewhere here, my medication as well as background issues with Mum makes me have vivid, long, involved, silly dreams - my brain takes an item from the daily news, dredges up someone that I haven't though of for years and takes off ...... mixing more recent issues until I wake, knackered.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 06:49:41 PM »

I sometimes have vivid dreams CountryGirl.
Sometimes they really upset my whole day too. Depending on what they were about!
Don't know why, some weeks I dream night after night, other weeks not at all.
It's just one of those things. Xx

Countrygirl

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 06:39:51 AM »

CLKD & JD I hope they go away soon. I was having them before I started hrt and for a while they stopped when I started hrt and I breathed a sigh of relief and I thought I was going to be okay, but because it's gone back to every single night I'm scared that there is something else going on that's worse like brain problems as my memory is already shot to pieces, there I've said it.

I guess I'm looking for reassurance that the menopause can cause these problems so then I can stop worrying that it's a tumour or something as I know if I mention it to the gp, he will say it's anxiety as according to him everything i have is anxiety, sorry for the waffle ladies x

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »

Countrygirl - I am half afraid to say this in case it's depressing for you to read & hesitated to post, but hope instead it will reassure you.   I'm a few years postmeno & have had nightmares more nights than not for a couple of decades, sometimes more than one a night.  They can seem very disturbing I know, but I have learned to pay them less attention as the years have gone by.  They sometimes wake my partner if I call out, but he is very forgiving & manages to go straight back to sleep!  Can be embarrassing if away from home & overheard e.g. in a hotel or in hospital!  I remember apologising over the balcony to the couple in the next apartment one year in Greece!  They probably thought they had a nutcase next door  :o

From what I remember from researching, they can indeed be linked to overheating & in fertile years are said to be more common in the 2nd half of the cycle (when we tend to be hotter) - so can definitely have a hormonal association.  Mine are worse the worse my night sweats & in the hotter months of the year when I struggle to sleep even more. 

They can also simply be the result of inadequate sleep (catch 22!)  I say simply, meaning there is often no more worrying cause.  But there is little simple about chronically poor sleep & if you also suffer from that you have my sympathies as a long term insomniac! 

All I can advise is to keep your bedroom as cool as you can tolerate &  try to accept they are unlikely to have a sinister cause, then with any luck they will pass as you get further through menopause.  I would never suggest that anxiety is the cause, but anxiety is unfortunately part & parcel of the horrible menopause experience for so many of us & getting as much rest, relaxation & diversion as we can helps the body in so many ways.  So I try to do this in the absence of adequate sleep, which frustratingly I have little control over.

Just one more thought - sorry I am out of touch with MM so don't know your posting history - have you had your oestrogen level tested to see whether you are absorbing the HRT adequately?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 03:13:59 PM »

Please don't worry Country Girl.
I can see where your coming from, but I wouldn't say you've anything to worry about.
To me, mine are just normal, and sometimes happen depending on what I've eaten.
My OH said he won't eat cheese anymore before bed, because last time he did he had a nightmare! Wheather it's true or not, I don't know, but plz don't worry...as long as you have no migraine or bad headaches at the same time, then , I'd put it down to being hormonal.
Hope you feel better now you've ‘got it out and said it'.....xxx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »

There is something in cheese that causes some people to dream, whether it's because they have been told it causes dreams ?!?

I've had dreams since I was very young and would never worry that it's a brain condition/tumour  ::)

Countrygirl

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 06:40:38 AM »

You know how you do that second guessing thing, my dreams died down when I started hrt so I got hopeful, because they've picked back up I'm going through the motions of thinking it must be something else especially as the mood swings and brain like a colander are pretty bad. It's like I'm losing me I wake so unsettled after a night of dreaming and that doesn't lift till at least lunchtime. I'm on propanalol 40mg x 3 times a day and have been for years and it's like it doing nothing for me at the moment x

Wrensong I really feel for you as I honestly don't know how you do it, I had night terrors for years but they eventually went away and with them I would wake talking rubbish or thrash out. i haven't had a blood test since I started hrt am on mirena and 25 patch thinking of trying a quarter of extra patch to see what happens x

JD I know it's silly to worry, but I feel like this menopause thing is taking pieces of me and who I am and I at first couldn't believe something every woman goes through is causing me such heartache and fear and feelings of wanting to run away from it all, sorry for waffling again x

CLKD I've had strange dreams from very high cocoa content chocolate and mature cheese in the past and they were well weird. I guess I worry about the brain thing as I've changed so much since last summer into a person I no longer recognise with the mood swings and memory problems x

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »

Hi Countrygirl - please don't apologise for anything - we all come here to listen & help each other out with shared experience & we can only do that by reading about the unique set of symptoms, life experiences etc we each have.  That you've written openly about what's worrying you takes guts, so please give yourself credit for that.  Menopause can be such a terrible shock to the system - physically, psychologically & emotionally.  It can really, really mess with us & many of us doubt the cause & question our identity at this time.   We are changing, perhaps more dramatically than ever before in our lives; it can feel as though the process is completely beyond our control and that can be at the very least unsettling & at times panic-inducing. 

I don't know where you are in the menopause process, but like you, I could not believe the severity of symptoms during peri, which seemed a horribly chaotic & frightening time.  But it does get better with the right treatment/approach to ease us through the worst of it & as time goes by it all becomes less unsettling & we begin to breathe a sigh of relief that we have been able to handle the worst.  There will always be someone here who has been through one or a combination of our symptoms and the reassurance that brings can go a long way to easing the ride, so please don't feel guilty for posting - you have not waffled & even if you had you'd have to go some to beat my record!

The colander brain thing is truly frightening - though it has improved post-meno I went through years when it felt as though I was developing an increasing number of black holes in my head.  For instance I could see a famous face on TV, know I knew who it was but not name them or bring to mind the context in which I knew them.  Poor quality sleep alone will do that to us, but it doesn't mean we are losing our marbles.  And as for mood swings - I remember hearing myself shouting down the phone in sudden rage at some poor soul I'd never met who'd really tried my patience & thinking, whoooaaahhh where did THAT come from?!  It was scary to feel that loss of control & I was ashamed & didn't recognise myself.  But it all got better with time & the little HRT I managed to absorb helped me through the worst.

I'm sorry, I don't know your HRT history, but if you are only on a 25mcg patch I'm sure you know that's really very low dose, so I do wonder whether at least 50mcg oestradiol (considered medium dose) would help you feel better - reducing the overheating at night & helping you feel on a more even keel emotionally.   The extra quarter patch you are thinking of will be such a tiny increase - not sure whether you have medical reasons for needing to keep it to a minimum.  There is no need to answer that, but maybe think about it?

Anyway, do keep posting, we all love to do what we can to help each other through this, as we know how bad it can be, so you will never be alone.

:bighug:

Countrygirl

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 06:27:29 AM »

My vivid dreams are pretty much nightly now and always include people from my past and family I haven't seen for quite a while. At least they aren't scary at the moment just very random and I wake up feeling very emotional. I'm really hoping they will start to ease off soon as it's been for a couple of months x

Wrensong im perimenopausal and finding the whole thing overwhelming like you say it's like everything is changing and I'm not the one in control of it x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 06:32:04 AM »

Similar to my dreams then.  [see above].  I wake some mornings knackered and the memory doesn't go  >:(.  Other mornings I know I've been busy in the night but can't remember the dream.

The Change - does what it says on the tin.

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 09:18:59 AM »

Hi Countrygirl, sorry to hear the vivid dreams are still ongoing - is there still a relationship with overheating at night & if so are you still only on the 25mcg patch? 

I remember well the overwhelming nature of perimenopause & paid for private counselling for a while to help me cope as I didn't start HRT until well postmenopause.  It was helpful to have a regular opportunity to open up about the severity of it to someone non-judgemental who was trained to listen & not feel burdened by it.  I chose a mindfulness-based counsellor as I was already practising mindfulness meditation & wanted to explore how I might get more benefit from it. He also introduced me to some CBT practices.  I don't know whether counselling might be an option for you or even whether you would want to consider it - I know talking therapies are not everyone's cuppa. 

Also wondering whether your HRT regime could be improved to help, especially if getting too hot at night may be encouraging the dreaming - it certainly seems to be related with me & I have read that there is indeed an association with being too hot.

Do keep posting about anything that worries you - I find just knowing others are going through or have gone through similar can help take the edge off the disturbing nature of symptoms.
Wx

Countrygirl

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »

CLKD it definitely does as it says, my daughter asked me if I was having a mid life crisis the other day, I guess all those things you hear about are all hormonal linked x

Wrensong If I drop off watching Tv and wake around 1 I don't tend to dream, it's when I go to sleep properly that I find I either wake up really hot or feeling like I've had an adrenaline surge heart pumping and can't go back off, im waking just before 5am at the moment x

I'm still on the 25 patches changing every 3 days, I have just finished a cbt course and am being put forward for counselling as they feel I need more help x

Wrensong

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 09:40:01 AM »

Hi Countrygirl - I want to come back & answer yours properly later - just off to a hospital appt so no time for more now.  Wx
Pages: [1] 2