Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Author Topic: Physio gets the Edinburgh Fringe laughing, not leaking. until 25 Aug 2019  (Read 1173 times)

Emma

• Administrator

Gusset Grippers is an evidence based comedy show about pelvic floors written by a frank, funny and factual physiotherapist (and recovered incontinent) Elaine Miller.

The 2018 show enjoyed a 5* sell out run, “I'd like to think that's because I'm hilarious, but, really, people came in droves because they are desperate for the information”.

Shockingly, 1 in 3 women and 1 in 9 men wet themselves.  It is common, never normal and most people can be helped. “People think leaking is an inevitable consequence of ageing or parenthood, that's just not true” says Elaine.

‘Startling and humorous insights' Sydney Herald

The audience leaves knowing what a pelvic floor is, what it does, why having a good one is smashing, and where to take theirs if it is a bit wonky.  “I use comedy to address the  embarrassment of these most intimate of issues and that enables people to ask for help.”

Uniquely, Gusset Grippers gathers evidence on it's audience.  Elaine is working with Galway University researching project to if humour is an effective health promotion tool.

There is a public health purpose - leaking is linked to diseases of inactivity and hip fractures. The suspension of mesh surgery means it is  imperative women know that vaginal prolapse can be managed with pelvic floor exercises.  “The only side effect of seeing Gusset Grippers is an improved orgasm. People need to know that!” says Elaine. 

“Not just non-stop entertainment, a way to a better life” Scotsman

“howls of laughter” Guardian

“See this show, your knickers will thank you” Broadway Baby

Elaine is a founding member of Pelvic Roar - physio led pelvic health campaigning, and Sweet F Aye - a comedian led social enterprise aiming to deliver women's health to areas of social deprivation, geographical isolation or cultural diversity.  She is working with MSPs on the Baby Box scheme and the Department of Health on their NHS 10 year plan; has spoken on Women's Hour, BBC World Service and Mumsnet; is a sought-after international speaker for professional conferences and has performed the show in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland.

“Erectile dysfunction and incontinence don't make for a great night out — unless they're on the bill” Times

Gusset Grippers teaches you things you didn't realise you needed to know. There are freebies, a prolapse chicken, a clitoris puppet and a grand finale with a 5'4” singing vulva.

Elaine's aim is to change the world, one fanny at a time.

Rose Theatre, venue 76                                                                   
Gilded Balloon, 204 Rose Street, EH2 4AZ                                                 
31st July -25th August 2019                                                                           
16:30-17:30 daily (60mins)                                                 

Media Contact:
Elaine Miller
07976 224190
gussetgrippers@gmail.com

Extremely busy Forum Administrator - please excuse my brevity.

Perinowpost

Looks fascinating, thanks Emma

Kathleen

Hello Emma.

Thank you for a very interesting post.
My daughter lives in Edinburgh and loves the Festival. I'll tell her to 'fight for a ticket' lol.

Take care.

K.

Night_Owl

Thanks for this - had to look her up - very informative and funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdL4U39J0ao
Oct 2018   **came off all HRT**
Age 58, early-ish meno @ 44
Highly progesterone intolerant and migraineur
Past regime: Panay, Long Cycle
Estraderm 25 patch twice weekly
Utrogestan 100mg x 10 nights, v-route, 6 weekly
Vagifem 3 times weekly