Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Emitophobia  (Read 36309 times)

getting_old

Re: Emitophobia
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2022, 07:53:45 PM »

Sorry you've had to go through thiis. I think the fear can actually be worse than the event itself, and of course it continues afterwards  :'( especially if there's no obvious cause.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2022, 08:01:23 PM »

I did mutter 'this isn't quite as bad as I feared' .....

CLKD

Bugs .......... [ Emitophobia ]
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2022, 05:08:30 PM »

How long can a bug live in the body ?  For months I've been really really tired, dropping off at any time night/day; so bought some VitD capsules although not the dose that can be got from the GP so I took 1 at breakfast and 1 in the evening.

After my episode on Sunday I've not been tired.  In mid-March DH was stricken with two days in bed sleeping inside getting up when his bowels were 'rushed', on day 3 he threw up once and felt better . 

Might I have been carrying the same 'bug'? 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 05:10:33 PM by CLKD »

getting_old

« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2022, 09:29:51 PM »

I have zero medical knowledge, however I believe that viruses (if that's the correct term) like chickenpox / shingles hang around in the body forever, and I've read that HPV can also be in the body for a number of years, so it's always possible that it's the same bug.

CLKD

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2022, 08:20:52 AM »

Tnx.  I don't suppose we will ever know: I did sleep a lot the previous day, fortunately didn't feel ill for too long though it seems ages at the time  :-\

KaraShannon

« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2022, 01:29:14 PM »

CLKD I haven't read the thread yet as I'm going out, but I have always had this fear. 

What helped me more than anything (and I don't know what your specific issue with it is yet, so may not be relevant to you) was having Stemetil (Buccastem) in my bag at all times.  My fear is more what happens to me if nauseous or worse.  These little tablets changed my life.  I don't abuse them, the doctor knows I carry them and advised it.  Now if ever I'm nauseous I know I can take one and within 5 mins I will feel fine again.  (I know there will be a time when it's not that simple, but it will still take the edge off some nasty bug, etc even if it didn't fully work, but it always has)

Hope this might help you, you can get them over the counter now.

CLKD

« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2022, 01:36:52 PM »

Tnx.  The whole process makes me terrified.  So much so that I don't recognise when my gut is hungry or going to be upset  :'(

IrishSam

• First Flush
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2022, 07:30:24 PM »

I have, like you, suffered with this Phobia since childhood.  It has ruled my life for as long as I can remember.  I don't drink alcohol (just in case), I don't eat after 8pm (just in case), I can never finish my meal, I won't go on boats, I can't sit in the middle of a row of seats (have to be on the end...just in case).  I do have children, they are older now, but learnt at a very young age that, if they were sick, they had to deal with it themselves (I just went into a meltdown!).
Believe it or not, I work in a hospital, on wards with sick people!  My friends and family thought I was mad to perdue a job in the NHS.  I'm not gonna lie, if a patient starts showing signs of being sick...I'm outta there, but I've stuck at it and love my job.
I once read a quote about our phobia..."I'd rather endure 20 hours of nausea than 20 seconds of being sick"...so true!
Sometimes I think about dealing with this once and for all...but then i chicken out.  This is who I am, this is who I'll always be.

CLKD

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2022, 07:45:35 PM »

Welcome to our Club  ::)

I have no idea how this began.  But it persists. 

If DH coughs - I'm on high alert
I don't go to the theatre any more; did manage for years by sitting at the end of a row
I can't travel unless DH is driving
Can't travel on a bus/train/boat ....... the last time I went to Chelsea Flower Show in 1986 I spent the return journey in the loo  :o because someone coughed
No children because they would have made a mess  :-X
Yet pets I can manage  ::)

HATE C.mas because of the extra food/drink
For years I was unable to walk by a Pub at closing time - in case
No alcohol for me - in case
For years I ate enough to keep me upright - since taking Propranolol for several years [stopped in March 2020] I have been more relaxed as it settled the constant queasyness
I could go on - Gut Reaction was the Group many years ago where we 'met' usually by letter : long B4 internet contact.

IrishSam

• First Flush
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2022, 08:19:40 PM »

Yes it is 'Emetophobia', I just presumed CLKD has misspelt.  But I knew exactly what she was talking about.

CLKD

« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2022, 08:21:40 PM »

Tnx Irish Sam.  Any1 who has suffered would know it for what I intended.

CLKD

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2022, 09:17:05 AM »

As a point of interest Irish Sam, what drew you to MM Forum? 

Ju Ju

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2022, 04:08:01 PM »

If I was severely dyslexic, instead of mildly, I would now be frightened of posting in case I was criticised for my spelling.

I understand how this phobia must impact your life. I am phobic with high open spaces, so avoid escalators and stairways that are not enclosed. Unless I’m with someone I can cling to desperately, I will seek alternative stairways in shopping centres etc.  Not a day in, day out phobia and avoidance is easier. Navigating the London Underground has been an issue. I have a problem with faeces, my own, others and animals. Not something you can avoid. Hence excessive hand washing. Maybe OCD rather than a phobia. And I worked with children and had my own. No pets. The thought of picking up a dog’s ‘do do’!

You just have to get on with it. But yes, you have to work your life around the problem and hopefully those around you will understand and accommodate it.

I think all these problems stem from childhood experiences.

Limpy

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2022, 04:32:13 PM »

Why make your problem mine?   ;D.  this thread has been 'up' for years ......... no one else seems to B particularly bothered  :neutral:

I take your point CLKD but I dislike inaccuracies - people might take them as fact!
I have deleted the posts.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 04:42:13 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2022, 11:18:13 AM »

Irish Sam - how do you deal on a daily basis  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8