Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New and desperate  (Read 2375 times)

Mrsmonkey69

New and desperate
« on: March 25, 2019, 07:59:10 PM »

Hi everyone
I am 50 years old and had a hysterectomy at 30 the surgeon left one ovary to save me from the menopause so young however the last 5 years have been a bit up and down and I am now in the throws of full blown meno! I was taking eleste patches for about 18 months and had to stop last year to have a hip replacement and my gp put me on fluxatine to help with my mood and flushes whilst I had my op. They were good for a while but the flushes and sweats went mental!! So 3 months ago my gp put me on Sandrena Gel which was ok for a while but has now also stopped working and I feel so down the flushes and sweats are raging again ☹️☹️ Also the weight gain is depressing 🙄🙄🙄 could any of you lovely ladies advise on what is best Oestrogen only HRT Pease 😀
TIA 😀

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New and desperate
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:02:30 PM »

Hi !  How much did the initial HRT, i.e. patches, help your symptoms?  Why were you not put back on the medication after surgery?

Browse round.  Some find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful to chart progress.  You could use the search box if no one responds, putting in the product name to see what pops up.

:welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:13:11 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Mrsmonkey

Ask your GP for a blood test to look at the oestrogen levels? You might well be needing a higher dose of oestrogen. What dose are you on?   Oestrogel or Sandrena are good, as receiving oestrogen transdermally is the safest way generally but it can be trial and error before you find the right dosage. I suspect your oestrogen levels have bottomed out now and you are needing a higher dose. It could also be with having your thyroid function checked as this can result in sweating etc.  Keep us posted.  DG x

Mrsmonkey69

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »

Thanks for replying so quickly 😀 I chose to go on sandrena after my op as it was recommend by a friend of mine 😀 I stayed on the floxatine tablets because they seemed to work for a while but then the flushes and sweats were horrendous and I couldn't cope so I had to wean myself off the floxatine as they are anti-depressants ☹️☹️ The Sandrena dose I am taking at the minute is 0.5mg 😀 I find my GP is not taking me seriously I saw him today and he said he would speak to a female doctor about it and call me back he was rather patronising 🙄🙄🙄 he said and I quote “ all hrt cause weight gain and if I wasn't happy with it I could go to Holland and Barrett for and alternative” I wanted to smash his face in 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 11:03:34 PM »

Another ignorant GP >:(. That makes me so cross.
HRT should not cause weight gain but I'm afraid it is common to gain some weight in our 50s anyway and we do need to adjust our diet accordingly. Basically we have to eat less and do as much exercise as possible eg good brisk walking every day, swimming, dance classes etc. Anti depressants certainly do cause weight gain.
You need to try a higher dose of oestrogen and I would suggest you ask for Oestrogel (sometimes labelled as Ostrodose) as you can control the dosage more easily. You could start with 2 pumps of gel on the inner thighs for 3-4 weeks to see if that is better and then increase to 3 pumps (divided between morning and evening) if needed - you can go up to 4 pumps per day. I'm afraid we have to do our own research rather than rely on GPs who often know nothing about women's health.  If he thinks you can buy a remedy at Holland and Barrett that will solve your flushes he is very much in the dark ages and needs to go on some extra training.
If he won't help you then ask for a referral to a menopause clinic or a gynaecologist. You could also ask for some Vagifem local oestrogen to ensure your bladder function and vagina are kept healthy.
Good luck DG x

Tc

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »

Mrs monkey. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have come up against such an ignorant GP. Sadly as this forum shows it's all too common.
Maybe you could  ask to be referred to a menopause clinic. Also some ladies on here have found their practice nurse more knowledgeable than their gp.
I also think it sounds like you might need a higher dose  but absorption can be an issue for some.of us and in that instance a blood test might be helpful.
Xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »

Flippant.  Would he suggest that to a man with problems  >:(

You're here now  :welcomemm: browse round.  Make notes.  I've had ADs since 1988 and have never gained weight  ;) but my apron did
drop  >:(  ::) so I look fat ......... however, when I lay down the body realigns itself quite nicely, Gravity has a lot to answer for  ;)

Do you have a problem with ADs as some do help hot flushes ............

NorthArm

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 12:33:54 AM »

Hi, are you able to go back on the patches you were on before? Failing that, maybe increase the gel up to 1mg?

Your doctor's attitude is appalling to say the least. You've just had major surgery, and it's no surprise you've put on some weight as you're not able to move about as much post surgery. He could have been slightly more sympathetic xx

Kazz1969

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 09:31:46 AM »

Hi all

I'm new to this site and also in need of advice!

I've always been oestrogen dominant but now I don't know if I still am!

I've read lots about Progesterone falling a lot faster than oestrogen as we age and that low progesterone is actually the problem causing hot flushes and anxiety etc...

It worries me that adding more oestrogen is widening the gap between the two hormones even further! Thus making the problem worse....

I'm a sweaty, anxious insomniac at the mo and really not liking it at all.

I don't want to take pharmaceuticals so I'm currently trying sage and Agnus Castus.....

Thanks everyone x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »

However: pharmaceuticals have been tested, usually double blind tests as well as being 'cleared' by NICE for use on humans.  Where as alternatives haven't been.  Some ladies find that various things such as sage and Agnus Casta help until hormones take over, when benefit may be lost.

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary, some find it useful.  Something to take to the GP/Practice Nurse to discuss.  It also gives an idea as to how much sage etc. are working and if symptoms are cyclical ......... browse round.  Make notes.  Do read the threads about vaginal atrophy!!