Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ditched the disbelieving GP, tried another one  (Read 1843 times)

Knockmany

Ditched the disbelieving GP, tried another one
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »

A few months I think it was ago, I posted here about my GP who told me there was no link to perimenopause and low mood, and basically dismissed all my other symptoms and gave me anti depressants. Anyway, I have been on the tablets since January and do feel better in myself. My mood has definitely lifted, but the other symptoms (night sweats, no libido, UTIs, dryness) all still there. I went back for review last month and asked about testosterone for the libido. She said absolutely no way, and that it is not prescribed (here in N Ireland). She said that increasing anti depressants can sometimes boost libido - hmmmmm, I am really not sure that is true as are they not supposed to reduce libido? I said that to her and she just poo pooed it again, and told me to stop reading up on things.
Fast forward another month, back again for review (she would never give me a repeat, I had to keep going back) deliberately booked a different female GP. Told her all, and lo and behold she has said there is no harm in trying HRT! She says I am definitely peri even though I am still having regular (ish) periods.
So she has given my Tibolone, is anyone else on that here? There is no history of breast cancer in my family but I do have fibrocystic breast tissue, always have had. I go for regular mammograms, don't drink, don't smoke and am not overweight.
After my struggle to be heard and get HRT now I am nervous about taking it! Any advice/encouragement/info welcomed :)

Sgtvhilts

Re: Ditched the disbelieving GP, tried another one
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:07:39 PM »

Excellent - at last.
Luckily , I have fairly ‘complient' GP's
My view would be to get on and enjoy. Pretty much what I did.
Mine took about 3 days to kick in - might have been a lot of psychological, but who cares!
What have you been given.  I am on sequi (oestrogen &progesterone) I am also on ssri's (For many years).
Hasn't solved everything, but hey ho glad I started.

Knockmany

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »

Thanks Sgtvhilts, she gave me Tibolone so I'm going to give it a go. Nervous as I was never able use hormonal contraception long term as it turned me into the bitch from hell. However I am hoping the sertraline will offset that  ;D ;D

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 02:36:54 PM »

I couldn't get on with hormonal contraception either but have been fine with HRT.

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »

Hi Knockmany - are you peri or post menopause ? Tibolone is for post menopause so you should only take it if you have been period free for 12 months. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 03:25:48 PM »

Well done!  Let us know how you get on.  I would continue with the ADs until you find an HRT which suits.

Cilla

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »

Hi, after having just done a lot of HRT research I also thought tibolone was for women how hadn't had a period for more than 12 months, Cilla x

Tc

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »

I looked it up recently for a friend who has been put on it (she is post meno) and on the NHS website about HRT it says it's only suitable for women who have had their last period 12 months ago. I.e post meno.
 I was reluctant to reply in case I might be wrong but I see other ladies have said the same thing.
Have you read the leaflet that came with it?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 05:12:23 PM »

You could check with a local Pharmacist too ;-)

Knockmany

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »

Thanks all. I have also been researching and it seems that it is used as HRT in some perimenopausal women who have depression and anxiety as symptoms. I asked Dr Newson and she said to take it. There is also a few threads on here including this one https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=34945.0
So now I am totally confused. The thought of going back to the doctor, any doctor, yet again with more questions fills me with dread.
What to do!?1 ???

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 05:14:58 PM »

Some find that they need both: ADs/HRT: side by side.   Try not to overthink  ;)

Knockmany

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »

Overthinking (and maybe over researching) is my nemesis  ::)

Dotty

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »

Hi did you explain to Dr Newson that you were in peri menopause ? X

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »

Don't worry i have taken HRT and whacking great doses of anti depressant's at the same time, but i have been on the AD's 30 odd years, so not sure what the effect will be if you start them at the same time. AD can often make you feel worse at the start, but this shoul only be for about 2 weeks after that -relief.
i also struggled with 'the pill' made me nutty, but the HRT doesn't
Dr Google is also a 'hobby' of mine, if i didn't have the condition before i woudl certainly have it after reading up.  When i startted AD's, Dr Google didn't exist, i'm really glad it wasn't as i might never have started them and who knows what would have happened to me.
Side effects are part of taking meds that work- it's just a case of how much you are prepared to tolerate a cost /benefit thing.
As for tibilone- no idea sorry.  I am peri and was on Femeston, now on Evorel and urogestan.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:48:26 PM by Sgtvhilts »

Emerald2017

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 06:08:49 AM »

Tibolone was the first hrt I tried. It mimics estrogen and it is weaker. It didn't suit me cause I need stronger estrogen I think. Just try it and see. It is a steroid and considered safer regarding breast.