Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just had a thought!  (Read 3378 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Just had a thought!
« on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:27 AM »

I am on 4 pumps + Utrogestan to suppress my cycle which had been causing dreadful perimenopausal anxiety and depression.

I posted recently that I felt my cycle had somehow managed to reassert itself recently, causing a light bleed (despite not yet being in the Utrogestan stage) and also what seemed like ovulation discharge. This resulted in my mood dipping and getting all my old symptoms back of anxiety, low mood, agitated, husky voice, nausea etc.

Well, a few weeks ago I started using an ultra rich shower gel (meant to work 24 hrs) which has given me softer and smoother skin BUT does it leave a barrier on my skin which has affected my Oestrogel absorption and T absorption???

It suddenly occured to me in bed last night, and it does make sense but I can't find any information about rich body lotions or shower gels affecting absorption rates?

Has anyone had any experience of anything like this?

This morning I thoroughly scrubbed at my upper arms (where I always apply the gel) with plain soap, hoping to remove the 'barrier' created by this shower gel, then applied gel as normal. I assume it will take a few days to load into my system though?

Really hope I have solved my problem!

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Just had a thought!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »

Good idea, you can only try, and hopefully you've solved it....Sherlock..😂
It might take a few days though before you see any results....
Good luck....xxx

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 11:16:06 AM »

Hi I think it says in the instruction leaflet not to use body lotions / creams on the area where you put the gel x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »

I've always been careful not to apply any lotions to my arms, but it never occurred to me to think about shower gel because it gets rinsed off? But, this one is a very rich Dove shower creme with various oils and is designed to keep your skin moisturised 24/7, so presumably it must leave some kind of layer on your skin?

Thinking back I probably started using it nearly 4 weeks ago? So the timings would fit, assuming it would take a few days for the gel to stop being absorbed properly - leading to my own cycle then reappearing and a 'period' arriving out of nowhere, and a return of symptoms?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »

Steady now GRL - thinking can lead us who knows where  ::) but yep, you may have hit the nail on the head. 

I love these products that say 24/7 cover - like we don't bath after using the product for how long exactly  ;D where as me, in the bath every night by 9.00 p.m.  ;)

Maybe wipe some vinegar over the area to remove any residue then a warm wash, allow to dry B4 applying?   Keep a note  ;)

How R U this morning?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »

Hi CLKD

Have just been doing some research and found an article warning against using oils in your bath water as they can block absorption of Oestrogel. My Dove shower cream is "infused with Argan oil" hmmmmm?

Also, have recently been having baths rather than showers (long story) and so my skin hasn't been as thoroughly rinsed with fresh water as normal. So surely a slight oily residue is being left on my skin?

Also, found a thread on here from 2 years ago by DollyDayDream where she mentions that using self tan body lotion caused her to get breakthrough bleeding, which stopped when she stopped using the self tan.

All very interesting? Thanks for the tip about using vinegar on my arms. I gave them a good scrub with plain soap this morning but wondered about using Fairy Liquid, or similar?

I felt pretty grim this morning, but feeling a bit better now. But whether that's because my skin's been able to absorb more Oestrogel today, or whether because I feel relieved at finding a potential 'explanation', I don't know?

Looking back, I am now wondering if my previous episodes have been caused by temporary changes in shower cream? But, the fact they all happened on the 24th of the month, and I had no spotting and my symptoms were easier, makes me think not? And it was just my cycle trying to assert itself?

This time has felt different. I had that random breakthrough bleed 4 days before I even started the Utrogestan, and my symptoms have been more severe - so maybe I've not had enough oestrogen to buffer me.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »

Another piece of the puzzle - have just heard back from Dove Customer Services and the shower cream I have been using is designed to leave some oil on your skin (so as to keep your skin moisturised 24/7).

It's all adding up isn't it? I wonder if this has happened to other women who's HRT just 'stopped working'?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »

I'm always careful when I wash and condition my hair in the shower not to rinse it backwards but forwards for that reason - so it doesn't leave a residue on my butt cheeks where I stick the patch or even get under the loose edges. I also use ordiary shower gel and then put moisturising/body cream where I need to and avoiding where I put the T gel and where I stick the patch. Having said that mine has never stopped working either - but patches are probably different? I can see that re gel application - what you put on the skin (shower products etc) could make a huge difference in absorption because it is applied or rubbed into a very large area.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 03:12:31 PM »

Miss Marple has nowt on you lot  ;D

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 03:53:38 PM »

Hi Hurdity

It just never occurred to me that a shower gel could create a skin barrier and affect absorption because it's rinsed off? But, then I have never used such a moisturising one that leaves oil on the skin!

I've been researching how Estrogel is absorbed and the wider the area it is spread on, the faster the absorption is. And because the carrier gel contains alcohol you have to be careful the alcohol doesn't evaporate before sufficient oestrogen is absorbed!

I can't do links but there's a very good website called 'How to survive surgical menopause' and it goes into great depth about how Oestrogel can/can't be absorbed.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »

Hi Stellajane

Usually I rarely bath but our shower is faulty at the moment, so needs must. I never put oils or bubbles in my bath because I'm prone to thrush, but have been happily using this lovely Dove shower cream with Argan oil and just rinsing it off with the bath water. Never thinking any would remain on my skin!

I'm going to be extra careful in future with what shower creams I use. I think it's probably safest to just use a very plain shower gel and rinse well (luckily shower has been fixed today too).

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »

Depending where you apply avoid those areas but indulge your other skin  ;)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »

I intend to CLKD!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

Do you have someone to indulge those bits with you  ;)  :whist:  .......

We use Nivea or Vaseline on dry skin, DH has trouble with his lower legs which itchy furiously if he doesn't treat nightly.  I am able to enjoy bubble bath  :-*

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 06:34:35 PM »

I'm so glad you're getting to the bottom of this GRL

I've always used Dove bath/shower products and self tans but don't have bleeds and symptoms seem to be ok for me so I'll carry on as I am but so glad you've found this out early on x
Pages: [1] 2