Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan Side Effects  (Read 1317 times)

Twilight64

Utrogestan Side Effects
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »

I'm interested to hear if anyone has experienced similar side effects to mine whilst using Utrogestan 100 capsules.  I first took Utrogestan 100 orally and although I felt okay physically, my mood plummeted rapidly and I felt so depressed that I had to stop taking it.  On advice from my menopause consultant I tried the vaginal method last month for 10 days.  I had heavy bleeding as expected and experienced quite a high whilst using it.  However towards the end of the 10 day course my hair turned to straw, my nails went brittle and broke off and I had sore breasts.  Once I'd finished the course my mood deteriorated again and I felt tearful and very low.  I feel that the Utrogestan remained in my system for approximately 3 weeks after discontinuing the capsules - much longer than others have reported and it's only been this last week that I've felt back to normal.  I expected some side effects but my experience has put me off using them again.  Perhaps the side effects lessen the more you use it, although if I only use it every 3 months would my system never get used to it?  My consultant recommends that I have a scan soon to determine the thickness of my lining and to continue using Utrogetan vaginally on alternate days for 10 days every 3 months.  I expect that I would also need regular scans anyway due limited progesterone usage.  I use Evorel 75 patches which seem to suit me perfectly, together with Testim gel, which I also limit.  I have tried Evorel Conti and it didn't have any adverse effects but would much rather use the bioidentical progesterone/Utrogestan.  I wonder if I should reduce my patches to 50 or even lower to balance the low dose of progesterone, which I have done before on various occasions without any problems but as I'm about 4 years post menopausal, feel that the higher 75 dose may be better for future-proofing against osteoporosis etc.  I am aware that some people believe that lower doses may be just as effective however.   Any advice would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:07:53 PM by Twilight64 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan Side Effects
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:15:29 PM »

Have the scan.  It gives you a base line should you choose another form of HRT.

Put the name of the product into the search box to see what threads pop up.  Make notes  ;)

Twilight64

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »

Thank you CLKD - will do.

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 04:32:21 PM »

Hi Twilight64

Loads of us have similar experience and the side effects you describe with Utrogestan are not unusual, so you are not alone.  It does seem to be a trade off between using a biodentical progesterone and putting up with side effects or finding another prog (I've never managed and I've tried them all) I'm afraid.  Sorry I couldn't be more help x

Twilight64

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »

Oh well, I'll plod on until I hopefully get the balance right.  It's good to know it's not just me!  Thank you.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »

Hello Twilight64.

It's interesting you feel that 74mcg of oestrogen is necessary because you are several years post meno. I am nearly 9 years post but my instinct is to use as little as possible. I suppose the trick is to feel normal and stable whichever method we use!  I have always used some form of progesterone so I'm never sure if my continuing problems are due to side effects or progesterone intolerance. I imagine one way to find out is to give up on HRT altogether but then I'll have to sacrifice oestrogen. Mother Nature really doesn't do us any favours does she!

Wishing you well and keep us updated.

K.

Twilight64

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:02:47 PM »

Hi Kathleen -

I was prescribed/advised by my meno consultant to continue with 75 but feel that I could easily get away with a lower dose and have been perfectly fine when reducing before.  I don't like taking a higher dose than is necessary and feel I may be at present but it's all trial and error I guess.  I have been cutting my patch to reduce to 50 but get a bit fed up of having to do so and will probably just get a new prescription of 50 when I run out.  I do chop and change a little too much but think I've decided to move to a lower Evorel dose, avoid progesterone for the foreseeable future and have regular scans and see where that takes me. 

I did actually try and wean myself altogether last year which culminated in a weekend that I (or my poor husband) wouldn't want to repeat any time soon!  Let's just say that to describe my behaviour as argumentative was an understatement :D  A patch went straight back on after 2 days..