Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Private blood tests anyone had any ?  (Read 2169 times)

Countrygirl

Private blood tests anyone had any ?
« on: March 21, 2019, 07:58:23 AM »

Morning ladies, have any of you had blood tests done privately as I would like to know what my vitamins and minerals are up to as think they may be at the root of the exhaustion due to gastro problems with absorption as already have b12 injections regularly as deficient but have found my gp doesn't check any of the others x

Jeepers

Re: Private blood tests anyone had any ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »

Hi CG

No, I haven't, but I would like to. Can I ask where you went to get this done please?

Jeepers x

Pinkjan4288

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »

can you see a different gp or the practice nurse? That sounds very dismissive to not check your bloods

Countrygirl

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 09:38:26 AM »

The gp does the usual ones like full blood count, but they don't do ones like vit d or other vitamins/minerals when that's the bit of mine that I think is really off kilter due to gastric problems and I know from my experience with the b12 that vitamins have quite a lot of affect on wellbeing physically/mentally x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »

I'm not sure that it is though - some places you have to pay - it's not standard at my GP practice in fact have never been offered one. I think there are guidelines about who should be tested (for vit D)?

If you have serious gastric/digestive problems then might be an idea to have some blood tests done (for vits/minerals) if doc won't help as absorption can be compromised, and if you can afford it, although ideally, surely they should be free on NHS if you have a recognised condition that could lead to malabsorption and vit deficiency?

Hurdity x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:30:25 PM »

Hi
Yes I've had blood tests done privately for menopause through blue horizon. I think they offer all sorts of blood tests but you can check their website.

I think Vit D is a standard test at our GP, but maybe not everywhere.  I also think B12 is too. Also iron too - aside from those, you'd have to go privately as it's not something that the NHS tend to offer.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »

I'm looking into this too. My gp checked iron, vit d, thyroid and diabetes. All came back as mormal. But I feel so off.
I've found a company online called medichecks. They do a full nutritional screen of 59 tests for £499. Would need to go somewhere to get blood taken. Although they can send a nurse to you for a further £39. It takes 10 days to get the results.
I don't know. It's a lot of money.
They do other packages of  tests, some where you only need to do a pin **** test. Which are less money.
Countrygirl - have you had any more thoughts on what you are going to do ?

AG

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »

Hi,

Since my thyroid was a bit borderline some time ago I wanted to do another check and I found that Medichecks now do a "menopause" check which checks for some FSH etc but also basic thyroid fuction. This seemed like a good check for me. Medichecks seems good. AG

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »

Thanks AG. Its useful to know someone has used them. I noticed last night, that Boots sells some of their tests online as well. Just need to decide which package to get.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:49:53 PM »

Good advice, as always, Birdy.