Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: To quit or not to quit? Please help  (Read 2268 times)

nicky_boo

To quit or not to quit? Please help
« on: March 16, 2019, 07:06:38 AM »

Hi ladies,
I am back with some questions and I am really desperate for help. Your advice will be much appreciated. Any help will.
Some background: I am currently on Evorel 25 patches and Ultrogestan 100 tablets orally for days 15-26 of the cycle. I have a history of endometriosis. This is the second month on this HRT. First month was fairly good apart from bleed starting around 8-9 days early but I linked it to probably starting ultrogestan in the wrong time of my cycle.
Side Effects: This month is another story. I am on day 5 of ultrogestan. I have been suffering with insonmia anyway, but from day 2, stomach cramps started and they are still there. I keep taking painkillers. They keep me even more awake. So tired. It effects my memory and brain function. I am so forgetful. Also, I have little red insect bite like rash - 2-3 on one ankle and another 2-3 near one armpit. I thought they were insect bites, so itchy, but now I am not so sure.
I tried evorel sequi + conti before but the progesteron in conti there made me feel depressed. This one is good on that front but physical symptons are worse and they make me feel worse.
My question: Should I persevere or quit HRT altogether? We are due to go on a big holiday at the end of the month and I don't want to be depressed and angry all the time without HRT.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Tanks so much in advance.

Shadyglade

Re: To quit or not to quit? Please help
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »

I know next to nothing about HRT but anything that gives you a rash rings alarm bells.

I would discuss with your doctor. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »

I got erratic and problematic bleeding with Utrogestan. I found that the Mirena with Oestrogel was my best option (25 years of HRT and I have tried just about every HRT regime there is) although the first few weeks after the Mirena was fitted were tricky as I felt quite sedated with the initial hit of progesterone.  At least with the Mirena less is absorbed systemically and it tends to keep the womb lining thinner, so less likely to get bleeding problems.   
I know that many do really well with Utrogestan but I got more side effects from Utro than with any other progesterone e.g. itchy rash on my face, cramps and a sedated, slightly high feeling all the time - I felt quite spaced out!!!

DG x

nicky_boo

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I want Ultrogestan to work so much. I am really puzzled with the strong side effects on the second month. First month was a breeze (apart from Insomnia). Not sure what happened this month.
Can it be that I started the second pack counting my cycle from the start of the bleed the previous month rather than 4 weeks after the first day of my first ultrogestan day last month? (Bleed in the first month was early - mid-way through my 15-26 ultrogestan days)
Birdy, I went and bought Canesten, just for the pessary dispenser in the packaging to try Ultrogestan vaginally. Not sure about for how long though. Also, the pharmacist was quite concerned when I told her about my plans. I also bought Buscopan as my stomach cramps are terrible. It did not help. I should swallow some more.
I feel so rubbish that I decided not to have any ultrogestan tonight and sleep with the aid of "Night Nurse". I will try it vaginally tomorrow night.

Having said all this, on another thread on Ultrogestan, another lady (Dolly) struggling on ultrogestan, later found out that her problem wasn't perimenopase. Being put on HRT on NHS without a proper check up now makes me feel that I may not have taken the right step. I should really ask for a referral.

Interesting, isn't it? last month I was fine and I thought the cure was found. Now I am questioning everything.

My poor 5 year old boy had to deal with a very difficult and short tempered mummy today. He does not deserve this. Neither do I :-(

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »

Yes the thing is if your own cycle is erratic then you will get bleeding at the "wrong" time. You are on a very low dose HRT so this doesn't control your cycle - no HRT does that, and it's only when you get towards menopause and beyond that you can definitely work out a regime that most effectively either stops the bleeding or makes it pretty much regular (unless you have a Mirena like Dancinggirl mentioned - another good option if you're worried about bleeding).

I can see what you're trying to do - time the progesterone to the second half of your cycle - but if this varies and indeed once you start HRT you never quite know where you are naturally so best to stick with the same timne every month unless it goes totally out of sync, rather than take it sooner because you're on a shorter cycle if you see what I mean?

Definitely agree - use vaginally as Stellajane says. I just use my fingers although those damn small 100 mg balls are so tiny to hold!

Good luck and hope things improve for you, especially in time for your big holiday - where are you going? (we have a holiday thread!).

Hurdity x

nicky_boo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 10:52:03 PM »

Thanks so much Stellajane and Hurdity, you really helped. Hurdity and Dancinggirl seem to be legends here. I am so grateful that people like you exist. You make the world a better place. Stellajane, hearing that each cycle can be a different story made me feel better. Thanks for responding.
So, in a moment, I will go and do the deeds with that Ultrogestan tablet. Fingers crossed for the results.
Hurdity, we are going to Bali and Kuala Lumpur :-)

nicky_boo

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:02:15 PM »

Actually, if you don't mind me asking Hurdity, when taken vaginally, should I still take them for 12 days or for a shorter period?