Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Writing a book  (Read 1795 times)

groundhog

Writing a book
« on: March 17, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »

Hi ladies,

Has anyone written a book ?
It's something I've toyed with for a few years, we'll ever since that operation went so badly wrong.  It wouldn't be a book just about me, more about coping (or not in my case ) when life chicks you a massive curve ball.  Plus to raise  awareness about my rare condition and surgical complication ( enterocutaneous fistula ) and related conditions ( fistula in general ) some of which are as a result of surgery, but in the main illnesses like diverticular, Chrons, cancers.  I'd also like to include the psychological effects of such experiences and the ripple effects into life in general.
I also wanted to include this forum who helped me so much and continue to do so.  I've had so much support from you ladies and with the focus quite often on cyber bullying, I'd like to demonstrate how this wasn't my experience.  If it was allowed, I'd like to include (anonymous ) snippets of conversations from the very very long thread - I have lots of thoughts on what I want.  Plus of course the practicalities of writing a book, where do you start, getting it published, costs ? Again a minefield.

If I did write it it would be for my grandchildren and all the people who are helping me though this  I hide my bags obviously from the children but one day my little granddaughter whinis 3 asked me ‘ what's that nanna, who did it ‘.  She looked so sad.  My nephew who is 9 asks are the holes healed yet, why did the doctor do it , is he still a doctor.  He told me he wished he could invent s tablet so I'd live to be a 100.  It breaks my heart,  So hard to explain to them.  I'd dedicate the book to them, I love them so much and they ( plus a few others ) are my reason for getting up each day.

Then my resident demon pipes up and says to me ‘why would anyone be interested in you or your bowel problems ‘ and I back down and think fair point

So lovely ladies honest opinions please - what are your thoughts ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Writing a book
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:24:30 PM »

MaryJane has written one about vaginal atrophy  ;)

Any education is important.  Maybe initially write down your medical history - then you can draw on it to maybe make a chapter about how it all happened: i.e. Chapter 1 - over view of your schooling and marriage, children etc.; Chapter 2 - symptoms and what each one led to.  You will waffle initially which is where a good editor will step in.

Perhaps venture into your Library and look at how others have written their stories.  What I never want to pick up from a shelf is a book with lots of lists.*  I want something that will make me go 'oh' but encourages me to read on.  I've read 'Cleo', the story of a small black kitten who helped heal a family in Australia after they had a child die suddenly.  Written with sadness and a lot of humour, it was a page turner.

Remember that if you do go ahead you will need the Consultant's written consent.  You may include him so that it doesn't come over in such a way that legal action is taken.  So chart your story initially as far as the first operation, sit back and consider.  Then the next stage/s until you reach how ever far you want to go.

Also if you quote anyone there should be a bibliography at the end.  As well as a dis-claimer  ::)

* in the 1960s I picked up a book about someone climbing Everest I think it was: but put it down quite quickly as it was pages and pages of what they had packed i.e. rations, ropes, crampons ....... by page 3 I was bored stiff.  That could have gone at the end, if anyone was interested enough, what I had expected was a tale of the intense cold, what they ate, the view at the top   ::)

Maybe the Chrons support group, for example, would have advice. 

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »

Hi was just about to say the same as CLKD....Maryjane has written a book about Vaginal atrophy and it has been very successful and has been received very well by medics and sufferers.  There are posts on here about the book.  Perhaps you could message her xx

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »

Hello groundhog.

I think writing a book is an excellent idea.  I don't know how to get a publisher but there are plenty of people  who self publish although I assume you'd have to finance that yourself.

You may need to do some research to ensure that your medical terms and spellings are correct but the personal aspect is just as valid and who better to tell your story?!

Wishing you well and keep us updated.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 12:52:28 PM »

As for including members here: at the end you could have 2 pages with the following I found useful without naming the Forum etc.:

"comment"

"comment"

"comment" .........I've seen this at the back of real life stories

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 02:35:49 PM »

Not an easy task, but if you're ready for it, go for it, I say...
Good luck to you Groundhog....xxx

groundhog

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 04:13:14 PM »

Thanks ladies .
Oh yes Maryjane, how did I forget that, my memory is shocking.
I may pm her then if that's ok x

Thank you !

Lanzalover

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »

Good luck groundhog

Lanzalover x

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:32 PM »

Go for it! Your blog showed that you can write with style and humour and will be a good reference, particularly things you have forgotten.