Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: sanitary pads to be free in schools  (Read 4797 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: sanitary pads to be free in schools
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »

What kind of pads though  :-\.  A well known brand in the 1960s/70s used to stick to me like s**t to a blanket  :'(.  Pulled.  Made me walk funny ....... can't remember if they were cheap.  There are certainly more brands these days as well as different thicknesses.

It is what it is.  For what ever reasons.  Hopefully this will help girls of all backgrounds feel dignified. 

Our Primary School has a breakfast club.  It began years ago on a Friday but is there every morning to help Mums get their kids to school as they drive to work ........ making sure that every child has access to a breakfast.  I read yesterday that some parents are being chased because they haven't paid for school dinners ............

CLKD

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »

It was 2 half-crowns a week when I went to Primary School and really wasn't worth it  :whist: well it probably was but it wasn't food as I was used to.  Teacher used to have a register with a tick for those who paid on a Monday morning  ;D

As for children of addicts not attending Grammar School, I find that slightly offensive  .........   my friend went to Grammar School when we left Primary.  Her father was a functioning alcoholic  :'(.  One of 8 children her Mum made sure that the girls had sanitary protection at all times.  She was a stay-at-home Mum though.  As was mine. 

Anything free from the Government of the Day shouldn't be sniffed at  ;).  Our Schools had free uniforms for those children arriving without, so that we all looked the same.  At the end of the Summer Term any clothing not required, i.e. by those of us moving on, was donated into a large box - whether it was every cleaned or laundered I don't remember but at least everyone looked the same.  We never had to pay for books etc., that was the responsibility of the Education Authority.  I can't understand why parents put up with that these days!  Fairs, jumble sales, book stalls - to raise funds  :o for things that should be provided.

Kathleen

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »

Hello ladies.

There is no substitute for experience so I'm inclined to believe the people who have seen first hand the lives some young women endure. A packet of crisps on the bus is hardly an extravagance if that's also your breakfast.

As someone once said ‘ the poor will always be with us'. They should've added that you better be thankful that you're not one of them. Yet.

Take care everyone.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »

Two pay packets away, apparently  :-\

My Mum gets angry as 'we had to manage, how do they think that ........... '.  She will not accept that people have needs so I no longer tell her about contributing to the food bank.  She's a bit like a teen; 92 and knows it all  :-\.  There is simply no give with her  >:(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »

The poor will indeed always be with us Kathleen so all the more reason to ensure that freebies are specifically targeted and not dished out to thousands who simply don't need them.

I agree with this totally.  It's an absurd idea and just makes people more inclined to hold their hand out for everything. Next  thing will be giving teenage lads razors  and pimple lotion.

I was a High School teacher for 15 years so I do know something about this.  When I was at grammar school most of us came from low waged parents who lived either in council houses or tied cottages.  We had the bare minimum and no extras but my Mum always managed to buy pads for me.  She would have been horrified if I went to school unprepared and would have cut back on something else to provide me with them. 
Pages: 1 [2]