Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sanitary pads to be free in schools  (Read 4798 times)

Pennyfarthing

sanitary pads to be free in schools
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »

just been reading that the Govt have said that from the next academic years sanitary protection will be free in schools to stop girls missing school due to “period poverty”. 

I cannot believe that parents cannot afford to buy their girls packets of pads which often cost less than a bag of crisps or a chocolate bar. i have been out shopping today and you can get them for less than 50p a packet.  All the supermarkets do them and even places like Wilko and all the drug stores.

When I was young they were really expensive as there  were just two brands so they could name their price.

i see all the village kids getting on and off the bus every day and they all have cans of drink, crisps, sweets and chocolate all of which cost more than a packet of pads. 

i just don't believe that parents can't afford to buy these for their daughters.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: sanitary pads to be free in schools
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »

It's hard to believe isn't it, when many have a TV in their rooms, mobiles etc..  When they seem to be out and about every night of the week and at weekends.  Maybe a compensation culture because Mum's are working? 

Sadly though it is happening.  When I take things to the food bank I often take a mix of sanitary protection which is put onto the table for people to pick up.  I wonder whether this is worse in certain cultures. 

At last!  I wrote to Clement Freud's wife many years ago and asked if pads could be free but was told 'no'.  Essential part of a girl's wardrobe, surely? 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »

Completely agree. The parents that claim they have no money to feed the kids still find enough to smoke and drink.  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »

How many have anxiety so smoke and drink  :-\

It's a long way from wearing cotton and having to wash it after and hang on the line to blow  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:49:14 PM »

I know a reasonable amount about this very sensitive subject and while I agree that some parents may spend out on items we consider luxuries such as crisps, coke, alcohol, cigarettes etc rather than on necessities such as sanitary protection this is not the fault of our fabulous young women - some as young as 10 years old.

To learn about the campaign Google Amika George for more understanding of the reasons behind it.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »

I did ask our local food bank if they would accept a lot of pads but they lack storage space so when I remember I take some along.  Using some of my fuel allowance ..........

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »

What's Homebargains when it's up and dressed  :-\.  We have strescos close by and Aldi but nowt 'cheaper'.  Our School had emergency pads but it was easier to put tissues in knickers until home time  :-\ :'(

Girls don't like to ask Mums when it's about putting food on the table.  However, my Mum always had pads available.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:33 PM »

Homebargains is a big shop that sells everything. CLKD...
They're popping up everywhere.
Some stuff is good, other stuff not so, but I suppose it's what your looking for.
And budget.....😉

Countrygirl

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »

The school my daughter goes too it's 50p in the machine on the wall for 1 as the nurse doesn't have any if they come on early, but the school is cashless to stop bullying (thumb print for lunch, topped up online by parents) there is a red box project that offer donated pads etc to schools in other areas x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:31:03 PM »

Its crazy when you think about it.  People like my poor old Mum have to BUY their own incontinence  pads (thats on top of having to sell their houses to pay for their care) and they are really expensive yet money can be found to buy pads for young girls whose parents should be providing these.

the elderly are easy targets and undervalued. :'(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »

Also teenage girls being teenage girls, what's the betting they'll reject school pads in favour of the latest 'designer' brands.

Schools should have a supply of free pads for emergencies, that I'd be in favour of.  Free for all - no!

schools have always kept emergency supplies for girls.  Even back in my day you just went to the School secretary or PE teacher if your period arrived early and caught you unawares.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »

So did we - if we were brave enough  :-\

But as I stated, in these days of families needing food banks, several girls don't want to worry Mums any more.  With a multi-cultural environment, it may be difficult for some girls to discuss periods even within the family?  There will be a logical reason for this being wheeled out across the UK.  Maybe ask your local food bank or Heads of School in your areas?

Krystal

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 03:07:10 PM »

Not all young girls have a mother or female relative they can ask for help about periods, many are being brought up by their lone fathers or grandparents. Despite todays so called enlightened view on life periods are still something not many young girls may feel comfortable with. The Red Box Scheme has recently started in some schools where I live and is supported by the local education bodies. This is particularly important for many young girls where their faith looks on periods as a taboo subject. The general opinion is that once the young person has broken the barrier about periods at school, they talk to their friends at home and the subject to include female hygiene is then naturally progressed to the home environment.

To me the Red Box scheme is a positive promotion of well being for young women. 

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »

Does that matter though?  It's about dignity.  Also we shouldn't 'go' on what we see leaving the school gates unless we have access to individual parents' bank accounts ......... and see what each family spends on which items aviallbe.  They probably have the modern gadgets and go on holidays abroad .......... sanitary protection should be free anyway!

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »

Sadly the majority of clients who live in the homeless shelter where my DH works have grown up in care, having had horrendous experiences beforehand. Fostering can be the saving of some children, if the foster parents can love them through sometimes appalling behaviour. Not easy and some children are passed from pillar to post. Drugs and alcohol numbs the pain.
Pages: [1] 2