Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Struggling a bit!  (Read 1277 times)

Reen

Struggling a bit!
« on: February 28, 2019, 12:18:01 PM »

Sorry everyone - I just need to sound off and this is the only place I can do that safely.

I'm struggling with my menopause symptoms now and they seem to be intensifying rather than getting better. I'm getting flushes more frequently and they are lasting for longer and they feel mush more intense. I've had a few nights of insomnia, and have been getting banging headaches almost every day. Joint ache is persistent but bearable apart from my right ankle - some days I can't get up staitrs because it hurts so much.

My menopause details are: I turned 50 last October. I haven't had a period since last September but that was because I stopped taking the pill (my GP thinks they would have stopped a lot earlier if I hadn't been on the pill). I'd also been contributing things like night sweats, hot flushes, and insomnia to the ADs I'm taking so it wasn't until my periods stopped that the penny dropped. I had blood tests to confirm FSH levels etc and I have been taking HRT (femoston conti) since January, so about 6 weeks now. Blood tests also confirmed that I have hypoparathyroidism, hypocalcaemia, and osteopenia. I'm also taking glucosamine, calcium & vitamin D supplement, cod liver oil, menopause supplement with magnesium etc as well as complete vitamin & minerals. I've also started eating a slice of menopause cake every day!

I was really hoping to see an improvement by now but in fact, my symptoms seem to be getting worse. The past couple of days have been horrendous. If anyone can encourage me with their own experiences and stories of how it all does get better eventually, that would be marvellous!  :D :)

Jeepers

Re: Struggling a bit!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 03:55:32 PM »

Hi Reen

I'm so sorry to hear you have been struggling, I think nearly everyone on this site can understand exactly where you are coming from.
I don't really have any advice for you, but maybe you need to give the hrt a little longer? I don't really know. It's difficult to get it right, and it could be that the hrt is not the right one for you?

I'm sure some one more knowledgeable will be along soon...

In the meantime, sending you hugs

Jeepers x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 05:00:46 PM »

Reen - you have several things going on at once. Firstly, I would suggest you try the sequi Femoston HRT as taking progesterone every day can be tough for some women.  The thyroid condition gives very similar symptoms as the menopause so hrt won't be helping this. It sounds as though you need help from a endocrinologist to get all your hormones balanced.
You need the HRT to help with meno symptoms and your bones but your thyroid condition needs the right treatment as well so you probably need regular blood tests to get dosage right. It is early days with the HRT though, however it sounds to me as though your thyroid treatment is probably not quite right.
I'd definitely try the sequi HRT as this would allow you to tell if it's the progesterone that is making you feel rough. With sequi hrt you would get a monthly bleed but this can be preferable than using progesterone all the time.
Do ask for a blood test  to check your thyroid function. DG x

Reen

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »

Thanks so much Jeepers and Dancinggirl. Great advice and I really appreciate it. I do need to go back to my GP to discuss both the hrt I'm taking and treatment for the hypoparathyroidism. I'm probably due another blood test (they want to monitor it at the surgery before referring me to an endocrinologist) so I need to follow that up.

Thank you for the good wishes too!  :thankyou: :foryou: