Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: What to use for sleep?  (Read 4138 times)

nicky_boo

What to use for sleep?
« on: February 20, 2019, 11:06:05 AM »

Hi Ladies,

I have never been a good sleeper. With peri, it just got worse. I am on HRT - (evorel  patches for oestrogen + 100mg Ultrogestan). My question is not about HRT. It helps with my mood swings but didn't do anything to help my sleep. I just would like to find out what you use to sleep. I read here that somebody occasionally uses Benadryl Activastine and tried it. My sleep that night was better than usual. Sometimes I try Paracetaml too. Nytol etc... doesn't work for me. I also take 5HTP everyday. My sleep hygiene is nearly perfect. I meditate etc...

I work full time at a stressfull job but sleep deprivation is getting the best of me. I am incoherent today. I keep using incorrect words whilst talking, keep forgetting everything as I haven't slept properly for days.

If you are on prescription, what do you use? Do yu have any tips you can share with me?

I trust this forum more than I trust my GP or myself.

Thank you in advance.

Dancing Queen

Re: What to use for sleep?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »

Hi Nicky, Sorry I can`t help but I can sympathise as I am exactly the same as you. HRT has helped everything except my sleep which is  is even worse than it used to be. Awake in the early hours for 1...2...or 3 hours then back to sleep but waking every hour. I just can`t seem to break my brain out of the habit. Nytol etc does nothing for me either.    :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »

I have in the past used anti-histamines.  Some use cough products to get 2/3 nights un-broken sleep.

A good night time habit is important.  Melatonin might help.

nicky_boo

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:47:32 PM »

Thank you.
I wonder where people get melatonin from. is it prescribed or do they get via US websites?
CLKD, do you know any cough medicine brands? For instance not all anti-histamines work for me but Benadryl Activastine did - thanks to this forum.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:02:08 PM »

Maybe have a chat with a Pharmacist at your local Chemist?  They have private rooms and will have access to over the counter medications that could help. 

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »

Puriton.

Flaky47

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 01:04:00 PM »

Hi nicky_boo. If you are taking 5HTP, maybe next time you need to buy some more try the Solgar 5-HTP complex? It combines 5-HTP with magnesium and valerian, both of which will help you relax and sleep.

If you have a look on the Solgar website you'll find it and if you click on the buy now button it links you through to Amazon.

[commercial link removed]

It's not cheap though, Solgar is never the cheapest option.

I find that the combination of this Solgar 5HTP complex taken before bed with my Utrogestan tablet zonks me out completely until morning!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:49:20 PM by Emma »

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »

Benylin night time or night nurse but don't tell them it's to make you sleep as it's addictive and you should only take it max 3 days,just say you're coughing at night due to a cold😊

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »

If after 3 nights you can't sleep then a trip to the GP is required.  I usually find that what ever I decide to take works and then it doesn't matter as much if I get another broken night.  It took until 3.30 this morning to drop off, I have a clock - it kept going round, apparently trying to find it's radio station  ::) but it sounded like water dripping  :o.

friend of lhasa apso

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 01:32:40 AM »

Hi ,I've been having the same problem for last few years; working night shift for 22 years I put it down to that. However, now realized last 3 years since turning 50 it's probably perimenopause.
          Night nurse works for me but can leave you groggy next day ;lately I've been taking Phenergan night time from chemist . Hope this helps and happy snoozing !zzz

nicky_boo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »

Thanks so much Everyone. Some wonderful tips there!

I will try multiple of them as and when needed. I don't want to keep addicted to one option.

friend of lhasa apso

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »

Hi you can get Phenergan over the counter at tescos or well chemist it's also an ingredient in night nurse but has a different name promethazine .These are only to be used now and again not all the time .

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 04:17:14 PM »

:pills:   Night Nurse  :sick02:

Let us know how you get on.  3 nights should crack it ....... maybe try over a weekend when you haven't to get up for work to see the effects?

Louise 08

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »

Hi Nicky

Not sure if anyone on the site has tried the prebiotic powder Bimuno.  Dr Michael Moseley did a test of it on TV and anecdotally people found it helped with sleep as well as gut health. You can buy it from Boots, I get it from Amazon. Like a sachet of creamer that you add to your tea, you can't taste it. I only take half a sachet per day. It hasn't helped my sleep massively but I think it has helped me to fall back to sleep easier when I wake.

I listened to an interesting podcast with Dr Rangan Chatterjee (on his website) and Matthew Walker, a sleep expert. They mentioned that any caffeine after noon will reduce quality of sleep, also alcohol is a no-no. Might be worth a listen.

Nothing is a panacea though.